Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Videos of 8-Step Forms

Videos of 8-Step Forms

Just wanted to let everyone know that Mr. Wu Er Li (Ernie) has graciously permitted us to post videos of his Zhai Yao sections 3 and 4 on the 8-Step site (http://www.8-step.com). This is the first time we've gotten permission to post these forms in public. I hope you all enjoy. As always, your comments and observations would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by lapu_squared; 03-29-2007 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Removed ")" from the link to 8-step.com which was created automatically when the message was posted.

Very nice! It is great to see you all so openly sharing Babu Tanglang! Kudos!
    For whatever reason the link was dead, but the site is up. Maybe it was my server or something.
    The only comment I have is I would like to see more app videos in regards to Babu. Other than that I think what you all are doing is great!
    Cheers & Thanks,
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Without trying to convey disrespect..and not to open a can of worms.

If there isn't an "ok--this is cool to broadcast" statement from Grandmaster James Sun(lineage holder of 8 step)..it might behoove the gentleman at this site to ask if it is appropriate to broadcast these forms,etc.

Respectfully,
    Erasmus

Why???????

Why you ask?

Because Grandmaster Shyun is the lineage holder and inheritor of the 8 step praying mantis style and as a student(of a sifu who studied under him)..it is only appropriate to ask if forms of the style are considered appropriate to broadcast to the public.

for more info..please see: www.8step.com

Quote Originally Posted by Erasmus Mingatt View Post
    Why you ask?

Because Grandmaster Shyun is the lineage holder and inheritor of the 8 step praying mantis style and as a student(of a sifu who studied under him)..it is only appropriate to ask if forms of the style are considered appropriate to broadcast to the public.
    Not to open another can of Ba Bu worms, but you may want to do some Heavy research Erasmus. The site that Lapu created under the permission of Shifu John Chang, has nothing to do with the Shyun version of 8 step. Shyun is a great MA, but not the sole inheritor of the system.

Please see www.babutanglang.com for more information that can compliment www.8-step.com. I think it may educate you, not in a bad way, but educate you none the less.

Lulu...Hey Shifu....are you training again at all anywhere? I have been mad busy.

Christian

Erasmus
    Shyun is NOT the sole the lineage holder of anything! That is propaganda he has brainwashed alot of his students with! This is America bro, no one needs to ask permission to do ****!
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

First,

Thank you both for sharing. Second..it was not my intention to inflame anyone..merely to comment. Third..doesn't a style generally have an individual to whom the lineage is passed?

Were this not so..just about anyone who studied with the man can claim they are the head honcho..

Last--if I have misinterpreted and this other gentleman is affiliated with a different 8 step or some variant--that's possible also.

I am only reporting what I have been told..nothing more.

Are you saying that any style of kung fu can have more than one lineage holder?

Case in point...look at the Eagle Claw of Lau Fat Man--(NOT the Leung Fu lineage)..Lily Lau is the inheritor of the Lau Fat Man lineage..

There is a general passing of information from one grandmaster and upon his/her request..the style is handed down and (usually) upon his/her passing..a new inheritor of the system is chosen..

According to your statements..it's like Lau Fat Man saying "I will choose as my successor.. Lily Lau and also Ronald McDonald and also "The Man In the Moon"...

Well..I guess it is possible..but I just don't see how

Yip Man taught alot of people and certified many sifus and masters in his wing chun lineage..but the last I looked..it was his son Yip Chun who is the lineage holder of Yips' family tree. I don't seem to remember Leung Ting saying that because he studied with Yip that he is the inheritor of Yips' family tree(actually..knowing his self aggrandizing statements..that might be a possibility--LOL)

Blessings to all
    Last edited by Erasmus Mingatt; 03-30-2007 at 10:40 AM. Reason: incomplete message

An art is not a football, it cannot be "passed" it is taught. Once it is taught it becomes that students essence. This is not some sacred chalice! It is an individual art form. Many people here in the west get all wrapped up in this "mystic asian family secrets death touch from hell qi orbs of doom" type mentality.
    But sticking with your question.....my teacher has three disciples. His teacher had many, many disciples. There is no ONE anything. Well I guess we are all ONE but that is waxing a different philosophy I suppose

Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Erasmus
    Shyun is NOT the sole the lineage holder of anything! That is propaganda he has brainwashed alot of his students with! This is America bro, no one needs to ask permission to do ****!
    Sometimes to keep on speaking terms with your martial arts teacher you are required to abide by his rules, are you not?

Especially if you expect him to back you up on the fact that you studied with him and were ranked and all of that.

So you can say 'This is America', but so what? If your teacher tells you not to show a form, and you do it, he can still disown you, say you never studied, not talk to you, etc, right?

Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt View Post
    Sometimes to keep on speaking terms with your martial arts teacher you are required to abide by his rules, are you not?

Especially if you expect him to back you up on the fact that you studied with him and were ranked and all of that.

So you can say 'This is America', but so what? If your teacher tells you not to show a form, and you do it, he can still disown you, say you never studied, not talk to you, etc, right?

I'd say if a teacher is that petty to "disown" a student because he/she showed someone a form then they are quite shallow.

I think people get too wrapped up in the great "secrecy" of forms. Forms should not be a secret. Besides, just because you see a form does not mean you know what the moves are used for, or how to properly execute them.

any "master" who disowns a student because of something so petty as showing a form shouldnt be called a "master" to begin with, they are more like a "thug."

Hi Chas,

Thank you, Chang Shifu, and Mr. Wu Er Li for sharing. Your efforts to preserve and promote Babu TLQ will continue to benefit the 8-Step family.

M.Dasargo

No one owns me brother! Thats a simple fact.
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    No one owns me brother! Thats a simple fact.
    You realize it's a little ironic considering before you were arguing for the validity of disciples and 'closed door'. If you don't have to think about what your instructor wants or ask permission before teaching or teaching a form, then you aren't really a disciple or a 'closed door' student. (Or you are a soon to be kicked out one).

Quote Originally Posted by zhangxihuan View Post
    I'd say if a teacher is that petty to "disown" a student because he/she showed someone a form then they are quite shallow.

I think people get too wrapped up in the great "secrecy" of forms. Forms should not be a secret. Besides, just because you see a form does not mean you know what the moves are used for, or how to properly execute them.

any "master" who disowns a student because of something so petty as showing a form shouldnt be called a "master" to begin with, they are more like a "thug."
    It's not really a matter of shallow or something. It's a matter of control and making $$$ off of students.

The only part of it that at all seems valid is that a lot of people seem to teach forms when they're not really ready to teach.