Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: shaolin-do and video comparisons to non-sd version

Also, there's more complicated kicking. SD's forms are more like training sequences than artistic forms. It's why some of SD's claims as real shaolin are actually valid, at least in principle, if not truth. There's far more training method in the forms than my cranes. Mine you have to interpret. Yours you just have to break down and practice. Alas, that SD didn't have an extensive crane program. From what I've gathered, original shaolin, older shaolin, was much more like SD's forms than mine, but the training mehtods were more like mine, less like yours.

Then again, I dont think it would have had as much subtlety or qi gong in the cirriculum in SD.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

It's like 2 different methods of learning the same thing, with different understanding of hte material because of the routes.

Personally, I like my current teacher's method much better. But not everyone learns the same way.

edit: Oh, also, now that I think of it. You know the "crane circles" in 1st crane? That's a foundational movment. It can be done large and small, standing or kneeling. I do iti all the time. When I started, it was almost all that I did for 3-4 weeks, seriously. Not emphasised in SD. It should be, though. It's cool to see a crane master in motion. His arms move like water, they're so loose and relaxed. Even more so than tai chi, I think. If you did SD's forms as slowly and fluidly as you liked, or were able, it would be more accurate, according to my teacherr. And there aren't really any "breaks". The arm-breaks are more like slap blocks for stepping in and past your opponent, or for shoulder control. Another crane technique to set up for qinna---and there's tons of qinna in crane.

It's also thefoundational blocking method in Okinawan karate.

To practice this, we do a blend of push hands and chi sao, whcih he calls push-arms. It's forearm contact push=hands. I think they do it in Chen tai chi. It's not techniqcally crane, I don't think, but my teacher's variation of it is fantastic. It applies to real-fighting. You use two hands and must keep them up, but not as close as chi sau. And it's not as slow or "sensitivity" oriented as push-hands. It's about fluidity and circularity, and moving to the outside ASAP or joint locking. If it's indeed Chen drill, I'd like to know. So if any of you know, tell me. My teacher doesn't know for sure where his father got that drill. We don't do tai chi. That's what our qi gong's for.

Our push-arms is very precise in it's purpose. You move to the outside ASAP and clear the hands. There aren't pushing and pulling tehcniques. It's just movign the arms aside with "break" type motions and such.

Rarely dod I feel useful in these internet converstations. I guess Ipicked the right time to show up here, lol.
    Last edited by Kung Pao; 04-08-2007 at 03:39 PM.

I'd heard se meng tao lian referred to as a crane form before from other schools. Does anyone have any info on why this is?

Quote Originally Posted by ninthdrunk View Post
    I'd heard se meng tao lian referred to as a crane form before from other schools. Does anyone have any info on why this is?

I hadn't heard that before (except the crane beak near the beginning of the form). I always thought of it as a training form and more of a set of excercises/drills since it was so very basic. Either that, or a small part of a larger form that just isn't taught (like our tai pang form). I could see a comparision to Fukinese White Crane if it were played differently, but I never really considered that angle before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

zong he quan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7iBK...elated&search=

Fuzhou white crane
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9COem96Urw

neither of these are equivalent to anything in SD, but I posted them as a comparison for the white crane forms. I think that whoever said Si men tao lie is a white crane form is right. It's been seperated from its roots, lost its power generation method, and become too rigid. If it was practiced with looser hands, employing shaking and whipping power, and shortened the stances a little, it might show a new purpose.

with kung pao's observations, it might even be possible that our white crane forms are from southern white crane as well. If the correct power generation was emphasised and practiced, they would look much more like other southern white crane styles. I'm not sure where the rolls and drop kicks came from, but I like them, so they can stay
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Buddha fist

This isn't the same as our buddha fist form, but it is called a "buddhist tai chi fist", and seems to have some similarity.
    I was told when learning ours that during a visit, one of the fellows at wudang temple performed a form very much like ours and explained that it was a very old style that came before tai chi.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...dha+fist&hl=en

Has anyone else learned the SD Fu chia chien, Buddha fist? Ever see anything else like it, anywhere? Anyone know any "Buddha fist" forms from anywhere else, in any internal arts? It may be derived from shaolin qigong sets...what do you think?
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

In Shaolin Crane, one of the beginner forms is called Four way/ door break. That's what Se Meng Tao Lian kind of substitutes for in the SD cirriculum.

It is not the same form.

I agree with th eguy who says its just a training regimen. It gives you some principles of crane strikes. Very fitting for the SD cirriculum....as you kind of get an overview of,....what was it? Tiger, crane, mantis, and something else early on....just to get a taste of them.

I enjoyed th edemos, kind of. Not quite the exact same thinkg I do, but close in some regards. Reminds me more of myh qigong....and maybe that was.

As for SD forms and wether or not they have the same principles....they do, but since you learn them alongside much "harder" styles, like tiger, or mantis (which are really quite fluid in intent and look, but have a more rigid structure than crane--whcih kind of flows much differently). I'd be willing to bet my Se Meng whatever looks much different than yours nowadays, but only because that's my focus, you know? You can't really be taught softness....you just have to practice. Think of a crane, and how it might imitate a human, rather than vice versa, lol.

I hat those one step demos though. I hate it whenever one guy steps back, and then throws a punch, and th emaster annihilates him. Of course....it's prearranged, and he knows what's coming, and how he's going to react with what maneuver, and its usually ass slow.

I atteneded a seminar long ago with Brennan "Lai, and he performed 7star applications with a complete stranger. He asked the guy to attack him, and the guy stepped back, then stepped forward. Brennan stopped him, told him to attack realistically, as fast as he could, kick, punch, whatever. Give no hint of th eattack. just attack what's open.

He performed every application perfectly, without knowing what was coming at him except what he could forsea. Holy crap, that man was the fastest I've ever seen. He could read an offense before you prepd it.

He then told everyone never practice those "step back step forward punching routines unles you're in your first 6 months of kung fu. Otherwise, you need to practice against a jab, hook, or else.

Good advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Leto View Post
    This isn't the same as our buddha fist form, but it is called a "buddhist tai chi fist", and seems to have some similarity.
    I was told when learning ours that during a visit, one of the fellows at wudang temple performed a form very much like ours and explained that it was a very old style that came before tai chi.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...dha+fist&hl=en

Has anyone else learned the SD Fu chia chien, Buddha fist? Ever see anything else like it, anywhere? Anyone know any "Buddha fist" forms from anywhere else, in any internal arts? It may be derived from shaolin qigong sets...what do you think?

Are you referring to Tai Ci Quan "Fist of Grand Ultimate Mercy" aka "Buddha Family Fist"?

The opening of the form in that clip was strikingly similar but the rest of it was more like SDs Chen Tai Chi than anything else.
    Words!

Just words!

Quote Originally Posted by Crushing Fist View Post
    Are you referring to Tai Ci Quan "Fist of Grand Ultimate Mercy" aka "Buddha Family Fist"?

The opening of the form in that clip was strikingly similar but the rest of it was more like SDs Chen Tai Chi than anything else.
    Hey CF
    I believe Leto is, talking about Tai Che chien, which as you said, is not Buddha fist, but Buddha family fist & the top form in the Buddha Family system...I'm told it predates Tai Chi. I have yet to see it anywhere else. The form in the clip I've seen before as the Tai Chi done at modern Shaolin....it looks like their take on Chen to me.

Shaolin, making up forms? Surely not.

Honestly 3/4 of every form they do is posing. The rest is just a roundhouse or a straight punch, and the gratuitous 360 kick.

Sometimes I think they just make it up on the fly.

It's alive!

Bringing back this thread, with some long videos of all kinds of stuff.

In part one, mostly watching Hung I Hsiang demonstrating Chin Na, and I presume some of his students doing a Hsing I two person set, and the Hsing I linkage form, has similarities to things that are done in SD and CSC. Maybe someone will find something else in there that looks familiar.

The rest of the videos are just interesting. There's mantis forms in there, white crane, some longfist styles, it looks like one guy doing ditang ground techniques, a couple other two person sets, and some jian fa at the end, too.

Maybe these videos have already circulated around the forum, I don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5XMI...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFle3ms8TbM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imOPz...elated&search=

anyone recognize any of the other demonstrators, besides Hung i Hsiang?