Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kwan Tak Hing's Kung Fu.

Kwan Tak Hing's Kung Fu.

I've always heard that he was a Pak Hok practitioner. On another thread someone mentioned he did "10 animals style" (whatever that is). I've also heard some say he knew Hung Gar. Does anyone know anything about his Kung Fu?

Oh and it's about time I start a thread on the man I use as my avatar!

I know Pak Hok was his main style. He probably learned a little Hung Gar on the movie sets. Maybe from the Lau Family?
    Shek Kin(MR. Han of Enter The Dragon) was also a well known practitioner of a known style. Of which art? That escapes me right now. He was also on set with Kwan Tak Hing.

Shek Kin

From another thread,
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernShaolin View Post
    Okay, I have to correct myself. Just prove that I can't trust my memory.

Shek Kin had six teachers:

1. Chao Lin Ho who taught him Northern Shaolin (Tan Tui, Mi Tsung and Battle sets)
    2. Li Lien Ch'uan who taught him wrestling techniques of Pao Ting style of Hopei Provence.
    3. Chao Kuei Lin who taught him Shangtung's Praying Mantis and Eagle Claw Style
    4. Wang Yung Feng who taught him Chao Yuan Style of Kiangsi Provence. He also taught him the saber and the hidden weapon called the Piao.
    5. Sun Yu Fung who taught him BSL Lo Han
    6. Tu Cheng Sheng who taught him Shaolin.

he was originally hop gar under gum san hong with ng yim ming. my sigung ng then went to wong hon wing and bai-si-ed under him, later went to wong yan lum.

Yes,hes Hop Gar originally. He probably learned some HungKuen from my sigung Lau Kar Leung or even his father Lau Jaam,both of them were in the Wong Fei Hung series involved.

Lau Kar Leung old Wong Fong Fei Hung movie.Say if Shek Kin fight real With main star.He bet Shek Kin win. Shek Kin no give death touch Bruce lee.He too kind,and he not know how.

Shek Kin was not a choy lay fut practitioner. While he taught sifu (Lee Koon Hung), he taught him northern stuff. He passed on to sifu a spear, 3-section staff, hand form, spear vs. 3-section staff and some other weapon sets. He also gave sifu some real nice weapons that we still have in the school today. My wife always tells me that Shek Kin was a really good person and was very humble about his movie success.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    Shek Kin was not a choy lay fut practitioner. While he taught sifu (Lee Koon Hung), he taught him northern stuff. He passed on to sifu a spear, 3-section staff, hand form, spear vs. 3-section staff and some other weapon sets. He also gave sifu some real nice weapons that we still have in the school today. My wife always tells me that Shek Kin was a really good person and was very humble about his movie success.
    Forget about Shek Kin... what about KTH?
    __
    "What is the sound of one hand clawing???" -- chanh buddhist proverb

Kwan Tak Hing studied hop gar, who knows to what extent. I also believe he had some opera background. I know while doing the Wong Fei Hung series he was taught a lot by Lau Kar Leung's father Lau Jaam and his hing dai to help him with the hung kuen. From watching him move I have never been that impressed and was more under the impression that he was an actor who learned some kung fu rather than a true sifu.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    ......... mentioned he did "10 animals style" (whatever that is)........
    Xin Yi Quan most likely
    Bloodninja: I stomp the ground, and snort, to alert you that you are in my breeding territory.

I think that 10-animal style book is actually based on hung gar. I don't think its the 10 animals of xing yi. Probably just another book to lure the lo faan's into buying.

no xingyi (which has btw. 12 and not 10 animals). 10 animals set of Kwan Tak-Hing was composed by himself, based on various southern systems. i personally do not like it. his original style was white crane/hap ga/lama paai.
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

"10 animals set of Kwan Tak-Hing was composed by himself, based on various southern systems"

A nice subtle way of saying it is chop-suey.

:-)

actually so is Choi Lei at (Choi ga, Lei ga, Fat ga), and so is Hung Kyun. take famous "tiger and crane" - old Siulam plus Choi ga, Fat Ga. most of the Southern systems are kind of MMA of old China, Chinese say jaap ga. the difference is that they were usually not "created" by one person, but have evolved for some time, each generation adding this, substracting this, changing that. the difference is that it was in he time when m.a. were still m.a. - not demonstrative or movie thing.

all the best
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

PM:

It was meant as a joke.

Almost every style has influences from other styles so they are all mixed in one way or another.