Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Learning Martial Arts from Video!

job and connections

Yeah, you would think that. The truth of the matter is that I get exposed to a lot of masters (and even more charlatans) but I don't really get the opportunity to train with them. It's more show and tell than actual practice. And there's this whole obligation thing. Sure, I can train with almost anyone in the area, but then I'm under this Confucian teacher/student obligation which has implicit conflict of interest issues.

Most of my job is really sitting on my arse, reading submissions (some good, most god-awful), trying to find a better deal on paper and shipping and printing, and of course, doing research (both martial and market). Oh, and then there's monitoring this beastie of a forum. It's not nearly as romantic as one might imagine.

Don't get me wrong either - I totally support video training. It would be hard for me to do what I do - produce videos and such - if I didn't believe in them. It's just that personally for me, right now in my life, I can't see learning a form from a video. Perhaps that's an artifact from my job. There was a day when I could, but I've always been blessed by having good access to good teachers, so it seemed a little pointless.

Everyone needs to follow their own path with their training. You can't let others dictate your path, especially not people on a web forum. You can follow a master. You can follow a video. You can follow a snake and crane. But these are all only signposts that direct you to follow what's really important - your own path.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Most of my job is really sitting on my arse, reading submissions (some good, most god-awful), trying to find a better deal on paper and shipping and printing, and of course, doing research (both martial and market). Oh, and then there's monitoring this beastie of a forum. It's not nearly as romantic as one might imagine.
    C'mon Gene, don't spoil the fantasy that we all have of your job.

Picture this: Wavey lines blur into this scene.

Our own Gene Ching interviewing a Kung Fu Master via an awesome training session where the master bestows much wisdom.

A Sword Hottie enters with some new article submissions. Gene says, "just place those on my desk honey, you and I can go over those later.".

She pulls out her sword and says, "Anything you say Mr. Ching." and does a cool flipping sword cartwheel technique out the door.

A second sword hottie enters with some nachos. She says, "Your lunch is ready Mr. Ching." Gene says, "thanks sweetie, you can put them on the table there". She puts the nachos down, draws her sword looks at Gene and does some kind of cool/sexy twisting/flipping exit.

Later, the Got Qi girls show up for a photo shoot with Gene.

An intern approaches Gene and says "I have your laundry Mr. Ching.". Gene inspects the laundry and says, "I said NO STARCH!" and delivers a devestating crotch kick to the intern.

Later the two sword hotties enter Gene's office with a drink on a silver tray. The one sword hottie hands the drink to Gene, sits on his lap and says, "Hard day Mr. Ching?". Gene takes a sip of his drink and says, "You have no idea sweetie, no idea.". The other sword hottie begins to rub Gene's back.

We pull back to blurry wavey lines.

You can't spoil this fantasy Gene, you just can't!
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

There was a sword hottie here yesterday...

...but no back rubs or drinks on silver trays. Maybe next time. I did indulge in nachos for lunch, just to celebrate the occasion.

Sword hotties are rare creatures. They should be put on the endangered list. I promise to work hard for the preservation of sword hotties. After all, it's my job.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Sword hotties are rare creatures. They should be put on the endangered list. I promise to work hard for the preservation of sword hotties. After all, it's my job.
    Maybe we should start a non-profit organization with the goal of preserving and increasing the numbers of sword hotties.

SwordHotties.org

For the price of only 10,000 cups of coffee, you can adopt a sword hottie.

You'll receive a picture of your sword hottie and regular updates on her progress.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

...but no back rubs or drinks on silver trays. Maybe next time. I did indulge in nachos for lunch, just to celebrate the occasion.

When I was in NY under Lin Chih-Young, he rented space from a Hapkido school, and the instructor of the Hapkido school would get back-rubs from a couple of his young female students after class.

He would also send the most attractive female student after class to try to recruit us into the Hapkido class. She was always saying, "Why do you want to study with some old Chinese guy when you could take Hapkido?"

Maybe Gene should start doing Hapkido.

This is the guy and class, BTW, on this video: http://worldmartial.com/
    Last edited by neilhytholt; 04-05-2007 at 12:18 PM.