Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What kung fu style has a lot of joint locks?

What kung fu style has a lot of joint locks?

Hi, I was thinking of getting into Kung Fu, and was looking for a style with a lot of joint locks. What styles out there have a lot of them? Thanks.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Mine.

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Eagle claw.

Don't get too caught up in what you want, before you know whats available. You don't want your wish list to keep you from training in any martial art.

I remember as a kid I wanted to learn 5 animals style, but there was only praying mantis available, so I studied nothing. 15 years latter half the country away what am I studding? Mantis. Think of all that time I wasted.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    really? mantis? must have missed you saying that somewhere. from who? Austin? Kung Fu Connection? Fog?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

In Austin with Sifu Hughes
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Well i dont know if it's ALOT (im still new) but 8Step Praying Mantis definantly has joint locks, and it's very effective in how it puts you in them. They have alot of similar locks to Nihon Goshin Aikido (which is basically 90%joint locks) i know because i take them both. Mantis is a very good style, hence why everyone practices it. And i think it may offer what you're looking for, i do however agree with SanHeChuan

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    really? mantis? must have missed you saying that somewhere. from who? Austin? Kung Fu Connection? Fog?
    yay!!, we're famous!!!

a lot of kung fu styles have joint locks. some are more famous then others. ie eagle claw. shaolin has joint locks, mantis. hung gar i dont know about but probably has some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

what eagle claw calls joint locks are pretty stupid imo
    Bless you

Mantis is a very good style, hence why everyone practices it.
    Truer words have never been spoken.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Ying Jow chin na

Eagle claw is only as is as effective as the practioner, as is any art or system.

The joint locking in eagle claw is very effective, but agin only by those that know how to use eagle claw properly
    Kune Belay Sau

Quote Originally Posted by Mtal View Post
    Hi, I was thinking of getting into Kung Fu, and was looking for a style with a lot of joint locks. What styles out there have a lot of them? Thanks.
    what kind of kung fu schools are near you? that way you can more easily determine which one focuses most on joint locking. i mean an eagle claw school might be a moot point if the nearest one is like 500 miles away form you. just a thought.

joint locks?

why "blunt fu" of course
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

friggin potheads...

Shaolin Chin Na has plenty o lockage.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Well everyone has already said it, but will re-iterata Eagle Claw and Mantis. Also ALL KF styles incorporate Chin Na into their training. I have not seen a style yet that doesn't. Even Taiji has Chin Na in it. Of course Chin Na and Shuia Chiao.

For other Asian arts, you have JiuJitSu, Aikido, Aiki-Jitsu, Arnis, HwaRangDo, KukSulWon are all heavy into joint locks and throws.

Only art I have known that does not concentrate on this is TaeKwonDo and Savate. Not saying they don't use it. Oddly both are primarily kicking.
    Last edited by xcakid; 04-03-2007 at 10:08 AM.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.