Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What kung fu style has a lot of joint locks?

Well I do have a eagle claw school, but there schedual does not work for me.

As for praying mantis, does the type of praying matis matter? Cause I think I have nothern and southern near me.

Well I might look into other asian martial arts, but I wanted to look into kung fu first. I did do some arnis, and it is really cool, but not too many places in NYC that teach it (but there is a lot of other stuff).

Thanks for the info everyone.

Check out the Brooklyn Aikikai, if you choose to look into other arts. I met Savoca sensei, the head instructor, at a seminar last year. He is one bad mofo, and he is a fabulous teacher too. You will learn to *fight* using joint locks if you train with him.

Here's a link.
    Last edited by Samurai Jack; 04-03-2007 at 11:19 PM.

All martial arts have the Si Ji Fa (Four Methods of Attack); Ti (Kicking) / Da (Striking) / Shuai (Throwing) / Na (Joint Manipulation-submission work). Some styles focus on one aspect more than others, but the style itself has all aspects. Unfortunately not all teachers have learned these aspects and misrepresent the art.

Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

If you want a style that has joint locks, why not train in a style that specializes in them (i.e. aikido, BJJ, Sambo)?

If you are interested in realism, BJJ and Sambo will give you the most realistic applications of joint locks.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    Truer words have never been spoken.
    LOL Rogue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just realized how Dumb That sounded!!! Lolllllllllll....Oh my goodness, i was laughing mad hard over here. Thanks for pointing that out

If you are interested in realism, BJJ and Sambo will give you the most realistic applications of joint locks.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    All martial arts have the Si Ji Fa (Four Methods of Attack); Ti (Kicking) / Da (Striking) / Shuai (Throwing) / Na (Joint Manipulation-submission work). Some styles focus on one aspect more than others, but the style itself has all aspects. Unfortunately not all teachers have learned these aspects and misrepresent the art.

Cheers
    Jake
    Yup. If they don't, don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    If you want a style that has joint locks, why not train in a style that specializes in them (i.e. aikido, BJJ, Sambo)?

you're forgetting the Judo
    Bless you

Sambo boys will f@ck your legs up.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    why is that funny?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    why is that funny?
    I was wondering the same, i figured sanhechuan just got off the shortbus.
    Bless you

I was wondering the same, i figured sanhechuan just got off the shortbus.
    Don't hate there were some hot *****es on that bus!

What I meant was there is a lot to be said about the superiority of the sport model, in that it consistently provides pressure testing for a limited number of techniques...

Superiority of techniques particularly of the joint locking verity is not something I would attribute to the sport model.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    Don't hate there were some hot *****es on that bus!

What I meant was there is a lot to be said about the superiority of the sport model, in that it consistently provides pressure testing for a limited number of techniques...

Superiority of techniques particularly of the joint locking verity is not something I would attribute to the sport model.
    We aren't attributing it to the sport, we are saying that bjj specializes in joint locks and has a track record of effectiveness. where / who have you seen with repeated success in situations - real or sport - than uses chin na? I know there had to have been people, but the successful use of bjj is much more noted and documented.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    We aren't attributing it to the sport, we are saying that bjj specializes in joint locks and has a track record of effectiveness. where / who have you seen with repeated success in situations - real or sport - than uses chin na? I know there had to have been people, but the successful use of bjj is much more noted and documented.
    Cops have used jujitsu based techniques for years, far longer than BJJ has been around in the U.S.

Let's not forget that BJJ is just watered down jujitsu with some tricky Gi maneuvers added in, okay? Actually shouldn't even say added in, mostly just more emphasis on some gi and leverage maneuvers.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt View Post
    Let's not forget that BJJ is just watered down jujitsu with some tricky Gi maneuvers added in, okay? Actually shouldn't even say added in, mostly just more emphasis on some gi and leverage maneuvers.
    omfg.........
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"