Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaolin Video

recommended

I just recieved Deyang's Xiao Hong Quan, and Da Hong Quan.

reviewed the first section of the xiao.

I'll already be taking on a couple of adaptions/details into my current xiao hong quan.

I'm going to review one section at a time and move on to the next section after I have fully learned any changes I might take.

see i learned my da hong quan in two different sections. one version, missing several techniques one on one with my shaolin teacher, then the second version with additional techniques, yet missing from my first version, with the rest of the school.

Since i have stopped training there i have combined the two versions. so im really interested to see how much different my da hong is from Deyang's.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

keep in mind, shi deyang's dvds are not quite consistent with how he has practiced or taught them before. take a look at your dahongquan video you have. then have a look here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=kj2WNh66tro

you can clearly tell from the final posture, for example. whereas all shaolin forms are looking to the left with the right arm raised in the sitting mountain posture. in his dvd he changes and looks to the right at the end with the left arm raised.

comparing his dvds to his demonstrations on various documentaries you'll see many inconsistencies. in gerneral with body mechanics and changes to certain movements. and if you get the dvd of presentations of forms, many of them are done in different versions than you'll find on the instructional dvds.

so dont take the dvd as the solid way to do it, since shi deyang even does the same form differently at different places.

This is the kind of stuff that TRULY SUKCS because 50 years from now, for example, when people might refer to these DVDs, they will wind up seeing forms with many missing moves.

Most of the other Shaolin videos are pretty consistent, its mostly Shi Diyang's that are widely divergent.

The 18 Louhan Hands one he has out not only is missing a lot of moves, but many are done in the wrong order. It's a total mess of a vcd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    This is the kind of stuff that TRULY SUKCS because 50 years from now, for example, when people might refer to these DVDs, they will wind up seeing forms with many missing moves.

Most of the other Shaolin videos are pretty consistent, its mostly Shi Diyang's that are widely divergent.

The 18 Louhan Hands one he has out not only is missing a lot of moves, but many are done in the wrong order. It's a total mess of a vcd.
    You think this may have been done on purpose to weed out "video masters" as Master Leung Shum would call them?
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

dont worry too much.

i already have learned these 2 sets from my previous master. he is more than competent in the xiao hong quan down to the arhat.

i have known these sets for quite some time already, and am merely looking for any additional/different applications i may see.

you will notice if you watch many different people do (especially da hong quan) it is often different to large degrees.

my previous master learned his shaolin from his grandmaster, Luc Cu Y Bo Ca Thum, a senior monk at a small temple in cambodia he was trained at and raised in until he was a teenager.

for instance:

in xiao hong quan, after the second left palm strike, diyang turns and does the hand push then palm strike. I was taught palm strike then hand push. where the difference may not seem to great the applications are indeed quite different.

i enjoy practicing both, but i really like the application displayed in Diyangs version on this video. for MY xiaohongquan, i am choosing to do pushhand then palm strike. because it makes more sense to me and it feels better.

thus it is this angle i am searching for.

confusious said when he brings a topic to the table, if a man cannot bring another angle he will no longer speak with him. (roughly from memory)

this is the same principle in play during my reviews of any versions of these sets.

these are not the only video's i have of these two sets. they just happen to be the only professional (well made instructional with explanation) ones i own.

I enjoy xiaohongquan and dahongquan very much, and plan to collect every piece of literature, video, and instructional dvd's i can get my hands on.

akin to learning anything else, the more media sources you have the more outlooks you can view from.

but dont worry, i received physical translation of the sets for years to understand the movements.

i decided i wanted to stop with xiaohongquan and dahongquan before continuing onto learn the tongbei to the arhat (if you are familiar with the 10 set shaolin system i am refering to) in order to fully master these two sets within myself. At some point in the future i will continue on with the remaining 8 sets.

it would be my great joy to visit other people who have learned these 2 sets from other areas and compare. ah, perhaps in the future i will have an opportunity to do this.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    You think this may have been done on purpose to weed out "video masters" as Master Leung Shum would call them?
    i doubt thats it. because video masters can still be made from twisted up forms. and you just wouldnt make videos if you were against only video instruction. he may have been forced to do it not wanting to, and so hid the traditional form. or he just wanted to present them in a different way to make people think about it. i will meet with him in a few weeks and i want to ask him about it. we'll see what he says.

"there are many pine trees in the forest, no two are exactly alike. but are they not still pine trees?"

personally i would never use video for a form/set/style/technique unless i already revieved instruction and learned what i am viewing prior to from a qualified/skilled instructor.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

I have that 10 video set with the ten forms. I got it from WLE a while back.
    It rocks! I love seeing the older masters do their thing. Liang Yiquan does Taizu Changquan, and the monk doing dahong is just scary in power. Track it down if you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingwu Man View Post
    Track it down if you get a chance.
    those sound quite interesting. however, i think they said these videos are no longer available. better yet, why not post them?

The full instructional versions, or just the forms themselves?
    I can post the forms easily enough, at least.
    Can you compress an hour of video enough to fit on youtube?

whichever.

i dont know what restrictions youtube has. but i've seen people post full movies on there in sections. 10 mins per section. and name then 1 2 3 etc..
    Last edited by LFJ; 04-23-2007 at 04:52 AM.

thats a great idea!!

hint hint

~Sima Qian

~PangQuan