Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight And Inches

Weight And Inches

I Have Been Taking Shaolin Kung-fu Since October 'o6, 4 Days A Week. The Classes Last Between 1 To 2 Hours Long. So Far, I Have Gained 15lbs. And Only Lost 1/4 Inch Around My Waist. Getting Very Aggravated.
    I Would Appreciate If Anyone Can Help Me Out With Some Kind Of Diet To Help Me Shed Some Inches.

hmmm...well you didn't really say what size you were...but...

1) cut out all sugar from your diet (if you do this the other steps are easy)

2) cut out as much bread "white carbs" as you can

3) no other forms of junk food (cheetos etc)

4) no soft drinks of any kind (even w/ "fake" sugar)

5) try to lay off of things like beef and pork, since they can be fatty

6) no cheese/dairy/milk products

you should start seeing results w/in 2 weeks if you really do it...and big results...
    i know from experience..

if your KF class is not high impact, doing KF alone will do nothing...

are you building more muscle? bc, as i am sure you know, muscle weighs more than fat. so if you are getting heavier but your waist is getting smaller than game on. you can't focus on the weight so much unless you are trying to make weight for a competition that requires it. you have to look at the over all health and how you look.

with that said. there is one diet that supposedly is superb. from what i have read the fda endorses it bc basically all it does is it teach you smart ways to follow the food pyramid. it isn't like atkins where it says no carbs, or any of the other diets that have tons of prohibitions. i think it works off the glycemic index to help you find foods that keep you fuller longer and supply you with energy as well as balanced nutrition. its called Volumetrics. you can google it.

other than that some general rules i have learned are. don't drink alcohol bc it tends to significantly increase visceral fats, don't eat at night (within 3-4 hours of going to bed), dont eat carbs or fatty foods after working out.

you also might want to consider that your body might just be plateauing and you may be required to up your output. try running in the morning on an empty stomach. actually you shouldnt eat anything for aan hour or two before doing any of your cardio. again this is all stuff that i have heard i may be wrong and may have fallen victim to old wives tales.

also chew more, eat slower, and diminish your portions.

Quote Originally Posted by zhangxihuan View Post
    4) no soft drinks of any kind (even w/ "fake" sugar)
    i have heard a couple of people say this. is there any documentation out there that links artificial sweetener to weight gain? i have heard all sorts of things like it is an apetite stimulant and that it slows your metabolism etc. but aside from killing you with the cancer what is the effect it has on the body?

also i have heard that caffiene causes increased fat storage. does anyone know if that is BS or not?

There's a site called fitday. http://www.fitday.com

Sign up for a free account and start tracking your diet. It's pretty cool and easy. You can enter in everything you ate yesterday and it will tell you the breakdown of Carbs, Protein and Fat. It will give you a great idea of the items you should either cut from or limit the consumption of in your diet.

Or give us an idea of what you typically eat during the day. There are usually healthy alternatives to some unhealthy foods.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

zhangxihuan hit the nail on the head

Refined sugar out.

You should not drink beverages containing more than 0 calories on a daily basis. Water, tea, coffee (black) should be fine, but avoid even fruit juice.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    zhangxihuan hit the nail on the head

Refined sugar out.

You should not drink beverages containing more than 0 calories on a daily basis. Water, tea, coffee (black) should be fine, but avoid even fruit juice.
    But what if you have a full on addiction to Dr. Pepper?

I can't get away from that stuff man! I need help!
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

i used to have the same addiction to dr. pepper. its like crack. but i switched to diet coke in college. now i have a (diet) coke problem.

btw chief thanks for the heads up about fitday.com that is a neat website.

only problem i have with it is sammiches. bc i have to list each ingredient separately and then they put the serving size of mayo and mustard at a cup. so i have to estimate what fraction of that i am actually using. but otherwise its an awesome site.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy View Post
    i have heard a couple of people say this. is there any documentation out there that links artificial sweetener to weight gain?
    Don't think that's the point. It's the phosphoric acid levels which will prevent the absorption of useful nutrients apart from being carcinogenic. This is found in all fizzy sodas and also in sugar OR sweeteners and their reaction with the carbonation. I think.

i have heard all sorts of things like it is an apetite stimulant and that it slows your metabolism etc. but aside from killing you with the cancer what is the effect it has on the body?
    If these things are also true is that not enough reason to stop drinking them?

also i have heard that caffiene causes increased fat storage. does anyone know if that is BS or not?
    I'd heard the same about the kind of caffeine in coffee, but that green tea works effectively in the opposite direction: as a 'fat burner' which enhances the body's ability to utilise fat..... catechin (sp) is the touted component. Dunno if it's true.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

What exactly are you doing in your class? it may not be strenuous enough for you to make the progress you are looking for without additional training. What is a typical class like?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I recently read The Abs Diet, written by the editor of Men's Health, and there is some interesting information there on 2 "hidden" ingredients that are incredibly pervasive in manufactured foods of all kinds and are to be avoided:

High Fructose Corn Syrup and Partially Hydrogenated Oils

I was suprised to see how prevalent they are -- it's something I look for now on food labels.
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    But what if you have a full on addiction to Dr. Pepper?

I can't get away from that stuff man! I need help!

I always put refined sugar in my coffee, I also need help. no artificial stuff will do
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by Li Kao View Post
    I recently read The Abs Diet, written by the editor of Men's Health, and there is some interesting information there on 2 "hidden" ingredients that are incredibly pervasive in manufactured foods of all kinds and are to be avoided:

High Fructose Corn Syrup and Partially Hydrogenated Oils

I was suprised to see how prevalent they are -- it's something I look for now on food labels.
    Dude, read Fast Food Nation if you want to really freak out. High Fructose Corn Syrup is in EVERYTHING you buy now.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Dude, read Fast Food Nation if you want to really freak out. High Fructose Corn Syrup is in EVERYTHING you buy now.
    And after switching to 100% juices for the last few years, I can taste the corn syrup in alot of juice "****tails." Grape and cranberry juices especially.

As for the original point,cut fat, cut carbs, cut calories. Every thing else comes down to personal preferances and what your body reacts to whether you like it not. Diet soda worked great for me when I first started losing weight, now it gives me ridiculous cravings a few hours later. (Of course, I tend to drink it by the 2 liter, so that's probably a factor ) Otherwise, make those cuts, maybe up the protein intake.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

You've gained 15 pounds yet lost a 1/4 on your waist?

I'd be happy with that.