Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obese Sifu?

Obese Sifu?

Ok, I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered such things, but I used to have a sifu who was obese (at least 40+ pounds overweight). The supposed master claimed he was model of fitness, and proceeded to "make fun of" all people about his size and some even smaller than himself. I'm not sure, but if you practice Kung Fu you shouldn't be "obese" unless you have a metabolic problem you aren't telling anyone about, and since people with metabolic problems are few and far between, isn't it a oxymoron to be an "obese sifu?"

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered something like this other than myself.

i don't think it matters. if his weight doesnt get in the way of his ability to use and teach his kung fu than it is a moot point. however, i think it is irresponsible and unprofessional for a sifu to taunt or make fun of a student for his/her weight (or for any reason really). so that is kind of messed up. but yeah i know some pretty hefty dudes that can do some really good kung fu and can move really well. and when they put their weight in to a strike they can do some damage. and you can be in good health and still be over weight. you arent in peak health obviously but you can still have the strength, endurance, cardio and pulmaonary capabilities and still be carrying extra weight.

Yea i used to think all big guys were slow...but then when i went to this trade school i found out ALOT of big guys are D-A-M-N FAST. My 1 buddy up there used to beat people in slap boxing 1 handed all the time while the other guy used 2 hands and he could kick VERY well, it was a shocker because he always walked around sluggish n slow looking....but when he wanted to he could MOVE

If he's being hypocritical about this, is he being hypocrotical in other areas as well?

Because if he's not being realistic about his weight, shrugging it off and laughing and putting other people down, then perhaps he isn't being realistic about other things as well, such as training, applications, etc.

If so, then I'd say "danger danger". Run out of the door and never come back.

I wouldn't say somebody just being overweight don't study with them, but if they're not realistic about it and that carries over into other aspects of their teachings, then that would be a warning sign.

Unless they can't do moves right because of a lack of fitness. That IS a reason to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt View Post
    If he's being hypocritical about this, is he being hypocrotical in other areas as well?

Because if he's not being realistic about his weight, shrugging it off and laughing and putting other people down, then perhaps he isn't being realistic about other things as well, such as training, applications, etc.

If so, then I'd say "danger danger". Run out of the door and never come back.

I wouldn't say somebody just being overweight don't study with them, but if they're not realistic about it and that carries over into other aspects of their teachings, then that would be a warning sign.

Unless they can't do moves right because of a lack of fitness. That IS a reason to quit.
    oh well I dont go there anymore. They were very hypocritical with other things as well....not to mention were unable to show proper stances to students.(such as a drop stance).. so I left.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy View Post
    however, i think it is irresponsible and unprofessional for a sifu to taunt or make fun of a student for his/her weight (or for any reason really). so that is kind of messed up.
    I know this is a different issue, but this is why I don't like the whole CMA familial structure. Our coaches and students joke with eachother like this all the time. It's been like this at every sport club I have attended or visited. With the TMA I've been involved with, such jokes were taboo.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

there is a differnece with joking with people and making fun of them. if the person being made fun of thinks your being a d!ck and takes offense at what is said than for all intents and purposes you are being a d!ck. i just think its not a good way to keep students or maintain moral. now if the person jokes back or laughs at it than yeah game on.

Overweight or stocky IMO is acceptable. Obese is NOT!

Why?

Several reasons.
    1. it's irresposible and just plain unhealthy. I don't care how fast they can move or how powerful they are.

2. Many kung fu schools have (should have) rigorous training programs and the sifu should hold himself to the same standards.

3. Kung fu is more than just a way to fight. It's a life style. Being obese isn't a part of that life style.

4. A sifu should set a good example for their students. Being obese is NOT a good example.

All that being said. Many sifu are older males. It's a fact that when when males get older their metabolism slows and they develop fat around the belly. IMO, this is 100% acceptable.

Just my $0.02.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

what if they are samoan? i hear that culturally being bigger is better. of course i could be wrong but i recall hearing that somewhere. should there study of martial arts conflict with their societal norms? not stating opinion here just playing devil's advocate.

My first real kung fu teacher had and im pretty sure still has a buddha belly. it did not slow him down at all, he moved like lightning and was very strong, chi and muscle wise. So i dont judge based on the weight so much. i mean unless the teacher is really obese, i mean like 400lbs obese, but how many Martial art teachers are that obese? i mean most of the hsing i and pakua players i have met and played around with were thick guys that carried their weight well.

hehe i asked one of them once about the whole big gut thing and i was told " oh thats just a sign of good Chi Storage "

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

well a "buddha belly" is quite different from someone who is large all over and eats cheeseburgers in front of students... =p..

There's a big difference between being a little overweight and obese. This guy is at least 40 lbs. overweight but I'd be happy to study with him cuz he looks awesome:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PyvrJA-Ifr0

There's a good chance he may have joint problems, diabetes, etc. in the future if he doesn't trim down a bit, but for the time being he can still move great and, more importantly has knowledge he can transmit to you.
    What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?

--The Orange Catholic Bible

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    Overweight or stocky IMO is acceptable. Obese is NOT!

Why?

Several reasons.
    1. it's irresposible and just plain unhealthy. I don't care how fast they can move or how powerful they are.

2. Many kung fu schools have (should have) rigorous training programs and the sifu should hold himself to the same standards.

3. Kung fu is more than just a way to fight. It's a life style. Being obese isn't a part of that life style.

4. A sifu should set a good example for their students. Being obese is NOT a good example.

All that being said. Many sifu are older males. It's a fact that when when males get older their metabolism slows and they develop fat around the belly. IMO, this is 100% acceptable.

Just my $0.02.
    kungfuis typically not trained in the same manner that a sport art is. you don't need monster cardio to end a fight quickly, thus it would not surprise me to see obese sifu.

kung fu is indeed a lifestyle, but who deemed that fitness is part of said lifestyle?

if most of his students are there to learn to fight and he is a good teacher, then how is he a bad example?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    kungfuis typically not trained in the same manner that a sport art is. you don't need monster cardio to end a fight quickly, thus it would not surprise me to see obese sifu.

kung fu is indeed a lifestyle, but who deemed that fitness is part of said lifestyle?

if most of his students are there to learn to fight and he is a good teacher, then how is he a bad example?
    Everything I said is just my opinion. I personally just feel that if you are teaching a physical activity that you yourself should be in good physical condition.

There are always exceptions. When I used to swim at the Y, there was this huge guy who was always there. I mean HUGE! But this guy was so smooth in the water. I would have taken swim lessons from him any day.

I do agree that you don't have to be long a lean to know how to fight. Look at George Foreman

Maybe I'm biased. Don't know. Just my personal opinion.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    Look at George Foreman
    Not that he is a professional fighter or sifu, but another good example would be Sammo Hung -- he has always amazed me that a guy his size could move the way he does, even to this day.
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com