Thread: how young can you start?

how young can you start?

i can't watch it on this computer but if it is the DC fox 5 news (which it looks like it is) from chinese new year my school did a lion dance on that same segment. but i will watch it when i get home.

I think as soon as a child has the potential for the coordination, they can start.

The dude said the youngest in that group of kids was 4 years old.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

I wish I could do front splits.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

How young can you start?

That depends on what you are talking about starting.

there are kids in my school who are 4-5 years old. That should be the youngest.

Agree with Xia, depends on what you are starting with? Personally I would never advise starting any young child (preteens) in anything that involves excessive contact, particularily to the head.

But if, as shown in this video clip, it is something like Wushu then start them as young as 4 or 5. It will give them coordination, fitness & confidence. Later in life if they wish they can go towards more traditional or fight oriented training.

My two cents.
    Etiquette requires us to admire the human race.
    --Mark Twain

I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.
    --Mark Twain

Questioning my knowledge has made you look even more ignorant
    --Shaolinsky

Quote Originally Posted by firepalm View Post
    Agree with Xia, depends on what you are starting with? Personally I would never advise starting any young child (preteens) in anything that involves excessive contact, particularily to the head.

But if, as shown in this video clip, it is something like Wushu then start them as young as 4 or 5. It will give them coordination, fitness & confidence. Later in life if they wish they can go towards more traditional or fight oriented training.

My two cents.
    at young ages most kidsare not dedicated enuf to really get anywhere with wushu (wu bin recommends 8 years old as the ideal age to begin)

also as for contact

kids really lack the capacity to do any proper damage

its at 14 and 15 where u need to watch out with boxing and stuff
    because alot of kids have no control and are just generally frustrated
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

at young ages most kidsare not dedicated enuf to really get anywhere with wushu (wu bin recommends 8 years old as the ideal age to begin)
    Wubin also states that starting at a younger age then 8 is okay if it is primarily stretching and basic skills development it is fine. Also at an age of 4 or 5 you shouldn't be pushing them for competition or any long term goals it should just be Wushu for development (coordination, flexibility and so on). But that's just my personal opinion.

also as for contact

kids really lack the capacity to do any proper damage

its at 14 and 15 where u need to watch out with boxing and stuff
    because alot of kids have no control and are just generally frustrated
    Good point but the potential for harm is still there but with youth of any age it really depends on who is supervising them. Personally I wouldn't want to see any preteen kid doing any excessive contact training.
    Etiquette requires us to admire the human race.
    --Mark Twain

I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.
    --Mark Twain

Questioning my knowledge has made you look even more ignorant
    --Shaolinsky