Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 360 backsweeps

360 backsweeps

hey anyone else find 360 degree backsweeps to be rather difficult?

my new shifu started me on them last night.. (ouch). starting from a forward stance, backsweep all the way around till you are in the same stance you started in.

wondering if anyone else thinks they are difficult?

Of course they are hard. If they were easy, everyone would do them.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by zhangxihuan View Post
    hey anyone else find 360 degree backsweeps to be rather difficult?

my new shifu started me on them last night.. (ouch). starting from a forward stance, backsweep all the way around till you are in the same stance you started in.

wondering if anyone else thinks they are difficult?

360 degree front-sweeps give me more fits. They're a good technique to learn, and one that I used on the high school football field whenever a defensive lineman started to get around me. That was before I knew it was a 15 yard penalty.

If you can work on keeping a low stance through the entire range of motion, then its all a matter of timing and momentum. Does your teacher allow you to put your hands on the floor during the sweep?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

well he'd like to "not" to use my hands...since i just started there he's giving me some leeway and letting me use my hands for the time being... but he expects it to be handless in the future..

i'm working on it...its fun..

Quote Originally Posted by zhangxihuan View Post
    well he'd like to "not" to use my hands...since i just started there he's giving me some leeway and letting me use my hands for the time being... but he expects it to be handless in the future..

i'm working on it...its fun..
    The use of hands depends on the particular application, but its certainly easierwith the hands, isn't it? And this technique is very fun! Good luck.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Yeah they are tough...

just wait until you have to do the 540 backsweep
    Words!

Just words!

We used to do what my sifu called Iron Broom, Tiger tail. It's two sweeps the last one is a 360 back sweep.

It goes like this.
    Your in a fighting stance, left foot forward.
    You drop into a low stance with your weight over your left foot.
    You then sweep your right leg around 180°. This is the Iron Broom part.
    You then transfer your weight to your right foot, still in the low stance.
    Then you sweep your left foot around 360° so you end up in the same right foot forward stance. This is the Tiger tail part.

Then you do the same thing from the opposite stance. Starting with your right foot forward.

learning the mechanics took a little time but I think it's pretty cool.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

I do it pretty well with the left leg, but for some reason, on my right leg my rotation is a bit off.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    We used to do what my sifu called Iron Broom, Tiger tail. It's two sweeps the last one is a 360 back sweep.

It goes like this.
    Your in a fighting stance, left foot forward.
    You drop into a low stance with your weight over your left foot.
    You then sweep your right leg around 180°. This is the Iron Broom part.
    You then transfer your weight to your right foot, still in the low stance.
    Then you sweep your left foot around 360° so you end up in the same right foot forward stance. This is the Tiger tail part.

Then you do the same thing from the opposite stance. Starting with your right foot forward.

learning the mechanics took a little time but I think it's pretty cool.
    Interesting. In the 2nd book of Hua, we have a 540 degree backsweep. In our "Black Tiger Rips the Heart" form we have a similar sequence to the one you describe. We do a low 180 deg. front sweep with our right leg (the same as your Iron Broom), we follow it up with a low 180 deg. left leg front sweep, and then we do a 180 deg. right leg back sweep and then another 180 deg. left leg low front sweep. It's a nice little sequence, but it takes some practice to generate any power on the front sweeps.

I've always thought that the 360 backsweep followed by the jump spin outside crescent was particularly cool

At least when Lei Wulong does it in Tekken

I don't think I make it look as good as he does.
    Words!

Just words!

word.

360 backsweep followed by a 360 frontsweep followed by jumping outside crescent to butterfly kick.

thats a really really fun combo to work on.

what application are you using for the arms? are you using them with momentum from the waist twist for follow through, or are they otherwise occupied?

for sure putting them on the floor is waaayyy easier.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    what application are you using for the arms? are you using them with momentum from the waist twist for follow through, or are they otherwise occupied?

for sure putting them on the floor is waaayyy easier.
    In one of the books of hua, we start the sweep from a left leg bow stancewith a cross-arm block in front. The arms then pull down and circle has you throw the sweep. My application for that is pulling down on your opponent (arms, head, shirt whatever you can grab after the block) while you drop your weight into the sweep. The sweep works best if you are in close to your opponent, imo.

720 back sweep
    been there
    done that
    practice make perfect =)
    keep trying buddy u will make it
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    In one of the books of hua, we start the sweep from a left leg bow stancewith a cross-arm block in front. The arms then pull down and circle has you throw the sweep. My application for that is pulling down on your opponent (arms, head, shirt whatever you can grab after the block) while you drop your weight into the sweep. The sweep works best if you are in close to your opponent, imo.
    nice

extra words are needed
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pk_StyLeZ View Post
    720 back sweep
    been there
    done that
    practice make perfect =)
    keep trying buddy u will make it
    pwnage on the backweep

i get 360 and thats it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.