Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Jaa!

Tony Jaa!

This guy is the new Bruce Lee. He uses no stunt doubles or strings. Does all of his own stunts. Extras risk their live to shoot scenes 'cause he really hits them during the fights. He's a master in muay thai, but also experienced in wushu.

uhmm. no. hes an actor. acting as a good muay thai practicioner. nothing else
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

does he have no extensive muay thai training?

you can verify this?
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I'm sure he has training in muay thai. But who doesnt? I've never heard of any fight record though, and describing him as "a master in muay thai" seems a bit odd

No doubt an entertaining actor though. Very good acrobat.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

He knows movie fu, and is pretty dam good at it.

He can pull all of those moves off because he used to watch kung fu movies and wanted to become the best so he trained hard all day every day.
    Last edited by jethro; 04-06-2007 at 06:35 PM.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

not a muay thai fighter

thou he trained in several defferent thai arts including wushu, thai sword and several other martial arts. he just makes contact with his stunt guys he doesn't really hit them its fifty fifty he touchs them they sell the hit, simple. is he the new bruce no. the new jackie maybe. you see cause bruce had something tony doesn't and probably never will. acting chops, besides i don't think tony will make it as an action star in america not because he can't do action ofcourse he can but his voice is so high pitched and screachy and he's something of a one trick pony when comes to the fights he needs to do something fresh because tom young gong was ong back with weaker storyline.

I love the guy's movies, but his teacher is a filmmaker. He's been schooled in stuff that makes good movies. His teacher wanted him to do wushu, b/c he didn't think muay thai would work well on screen. From what I've heard, Tony Jaa influenced him to add muay thai into the films. And it isn't just muay thai he does. He splices capoeira, wushu, and tae kwan do stuff into the mix to flesh out hsi muay boran. Muay Thai just isn't that exciting by itself, just like BJJ would make a terrible movie, even though those two are the most effective MA's commonly tuaght, in my opinion. And I agree with one of the last posts---unless he does something new, he's gonna be a one-hit-wonder. I thought Tom Yung Goong was a much worse movie, just with some better action. Man, he can leap. I bought this horrible movie he was featured in while younger called Spiritual Killer. IT's sooooooo bad. BUt for no reason whatsoever, in the middle of the movie, you see Tony in a fight scene with this doctor-zombie for about ten or twelve minutes. All he does is wushu. There's no muay thai at all. wWatch his weapons fighting in any of his films.....all CMA.

Lateef Crowder, the capoerista in Tom Yung Goong, it looks like he can fight. But watch some of his amateur reels. Amazing acrobatics, great capoerista.....does it translate into fighting ability? Doesn't look so to me....at least not on film.
    Last edited by Kung Pao; 04-07-2007 at 01:01 PM.

tony ja's jumps are amazing. he does crazy stuff, but his kicks aren't that great they are sloppy. he has tae kawn do training i know that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

lateff

lateff stuff looks great you should watch some of the shorts he's in.

jammin, his kicks are jammin!

I heard he once threatened his dad, at age 5 or so, that he would commit suicide if his dad didn't get him into muay thai training.

Where did you hear that from? That has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Quote Originally Posted by Kung Pao View Post
    I bought this horrible movie he was featured in while younger called Spiritual Killer. IT's sooooooo bad. BUt for no reason whatsoever, in the middle of the movie, you see Tony in a fight scene with this doctor-zombie for about ten or twelve minutes. All he does is wushu. There's no muay thai at all. wWatch his weapons fighting in any of his films.....all CMA.
    I actually BOUGHT Spirited Killer... horrible, horrible, terrible awful, no good crap crap movie. I returned it for credit shortly thereafter. I would have rather spent my $14.99 on a $5 bill.

I agree with Tony needing to step things up, though. He could at least get some good scripts. The only messages I've gotten from his films so far are as follows: "Never steal a statue of an obscure southeast asian village Deity. An angry martial artist will kick you in the face, possibly while his pants are on fire."- Ong Bak

"It's okay to have an elephant as a pet if you come from an economically-challenged Southeast Asian Country. Otherwise, it's like wrong, or something. However, do not attempt to steal a Thai man's elephant, especially if you're using it to make Elephant stew. He (the Thai man) will take the elephant's descrated bones and beat the snot out of you with them. Helicopters will not save you."- Tom Yum Goong/The Protector

All spirited Killer taught me was never to mess with a zombie wearing a Members Only Jacket. I knew that before, mind you. What I didn't know was how stupid Thai filmmakers thought Japanese tourists were.

On the other hand, Jet Li got by without having any very good acting skills until later in his career (Hero, Unleashed, and Fearless) though he was somewhat decent in Once Upon a Time In China.

Personally, I don't think Bruce Lee was THAT great of an actor. I think Jackie, when he's in his acting Groove, is much better. Likewise I think Jet Li is better now than Bruce in his later career.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Quote Originally Posted by Bagua8 View Post
    This guy is the new Bruce Lee. He uses no stunt doubles or strings. Does all of his own stunts. Extras risk their live to shoot scenes 'cause he really hits them during the fights. He's a master in muay thai, but also experienced in wushu.
    WRONG!

TBH.

Early life

Born in the Surin Province of the Isan region of Thailand. Jaa grew up in a rural area and watched films by Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Jet Li at temple fairs. While doing chores or playing with friends, he would imitate the martial arts moves he had seen in the films. He would practice in his father's rice paddy or, when bathing the family's elephants, he would somersault off their backs into the river.

"What they did was so beautiful, so heroic. I wanted to do it, too," Jaa told Time in a 2004 interview. "I practiced until I could do the move exactly as I had seen the masters do it."[1]

At age 15, he looked up Panna Rittikrai, begging the veteran Thai stuntman and action-film director to take him on as a protege. Panna instructed Jaa to attend Maha Sarakham College of Physical Education in Maha Sarakham Province.

First films

He initially worked as a stuntman on Panna's team, Muay Thai Stunt, appearing in many of Panna's films. He doubled for Sammo Hung when the martial-arts actor made a commercial for an energy drink that required him to grasp an elephant's tusks and somersault onto the pachyderm's back.[2] He also appeared in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, as a stunt double for Robin Shou (Liu Kang), and was a stunt double in the Thai television series Insee Daeng (Red Eagle).[3]

Together, Panna and Jaa developed an interest in Muay Boran, an ancient style of Muay Thai and worked and trained for six years at the art with the intention of developing a film around it. Eventually they were able to put together a short film showing what Jaa could do. One of the people they showed it to was producer-director Prachya Pinkaew, who was duly impressed.

This led to Ong-Bak: Muay Thai Warrior (องค์บาก) in 2003, Jaa's break-out role as a leading man. Jaa did all the stunts without mechanical assistance or computer-generated effects and it showcased his style of extreme acrobatics and speedy, dance-like moves. Injuries suffered in the filming included a ligament and a sprained ankle. One scene in the film involved fighting with another actor while his own trousers were on fire. "I actually got burned," he said in a 2005 interview. "I really had to concentrate because once my pants were on fire the flames spread upwards very fast and burnt my eyebrows, my eyelashes and my nose. Then we had to do a couple more takes to get it right."[4].

With the film, he was hailed as Asia's next martial-arts film superstar. And as Jaa has gained popularity, older films he made with Panna began to be released on DVD and VCD and become available internationally. These include Spirited Killer and Mission Hunter 2.

Rise to fame
    Tony Jaa and his mentor, Panna Rittikrai, check the playback on the Sydney, Australia location of Tom-Yum-Goong.
    Tony Jaa and his mentor, Panna Rittikrai, check the playback on the Sydney, Australia location of Tom-Yum-Goong.

His second major movie was Tom-Yum-Goong (ต้มยำกุ้ง; also the name of a hot and sour soup, Tom yum kung (ต้มยำกุ้ง)). This movie enjoyed even greater success in Thailand and Hong Kong than Ong-Bak when released, and was subsequently picked up for release in the United States by the Weinstein Company, which retitled the film as The Protector.

As he did to promote the release of Ong-Bak, Jaa was again busy travelling the world to promote The Protector. In August 2006, he was in New York to promote the US release of The Protector, including an appearance at the Museum of the Moving Image.[5]

Next projects

Tony's name is often included on the "wish lists" of various directors. An early rumor was that he was to be the villain in Live Free or Die Hard – gossip that he was quick to deny.

Sahamongkol Film International advertised at film markets that his third film would be called Sword or Dab Atamas,[6] but then in March 2006 it was reported that there would be a sequel to Ong-Bak, Ong-Bak 2. With Tony both directing and starring, it started production in fall 2006 and will be released in late 2007.[7][8][9]

His films captured the attention of his hero, Jackie Chan, who asked director Brett Ratner to cast Tony in Rush Hour 3. "I gave the director videos of Tony Jaa because I think Tony Jaa is the most well-rounded of all action stars," Chan told the Associated Press. "The director liked him a lot."[10] However, Tony said he'd be unable to participate because of scheduling conflicts with the shooting of Ong-Bak 2.[11][12]

In Ong-Bak: Muay Thai Warrior there is a spray-painted message in the background in one scene that says "Hi Spielberg, let['s] do it together", which states Tony Jaa's wish to work with Steven Spielberg. Tony has further stated a desire to be cast in the upcoming Indiana Jones 4 sequel. [13]

Additionally, veteran Hong Kong martial arts coordinator Lau Kar-leung has mentioned Tony as someone he'd like to work with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Jaa