Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: The Role Of Stance trainning....

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    Here's an example of how I use stance training. I just started working on Harai Goshi and Uchi Mata. The Uchi requires you to do a stealing step deep between the other guys legs, and have all of you weight on your front leg. Easier said then done. So I started working my cross horse a lot, focusing on having my entry leg way out, but 100 % of my weight on my front leg. There's a couple other exercises I'm doing from S.C., but that's my stance work and the WHY to it. When I get the throw down good, I may practice it for a while till I get good, if I choose to, but then I'll put it away and pull out another if and when I need it.

I guess I just don't see the advantage in training stance for an hour a few days a week, when I can train my whole body in 1 hour twice a week. That's more time I can devote to the mat.
    now that is a viable reason for stance training. of course, you can also just train the throw repetitiously. we have a portion of class where we do free throwing. you throw whatever you want, then your partner throws you. also you can train the throw on your own using innertubes or a pulley.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    now that is a viable reason for stance training. of course, you can also just train the throw repetitiously. we have a portion of class where we do free throwing. you throw whatever you want, then your partner throws you. also you can train the throw on your own using innertubes or a pulley.

Right, but I'm talking about training this in addition to, not instead of, my other work. We still do UchiKomis (3 man, moving, stable, speed, posture) and although I'm not a big fan of the tubes, I still use them. I think this is why I can throw the black belts in Randori, I'm bringing a lil something extra to the table. I'm probably throwing in 2 twenty minute workouts a week, but in addition to the Judo and the weights.

Same thing with forms. Friday, I had two 6 year olds, a 5 year old, and a new kid who's about 8. Sensei wanted me to work O Goshi with them. They were having trouble with the entry, so we spent about 10 minutes working on the hip throw form from Shuai Chiao. When we went back to the throw, their entries were a lot better. I've also put kids in horse (3 Flats) to show them how to posture on O Goshi. I think doing Forward March with a belt crack is what gave me my Hiza Guruma. But I also think Judo helped me understand my Shuai Chiao on a much deeper level. I guess I don't see why it has to be 'This or That'.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

yeah, judo does that. judo helped me to see and understand the grappling in my forms.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Stance training develops perserverence, confidence, and will
    - I'll agree to this one

Stance training has caused my legs to tire less quickly when I fight
    - I would agree to this one, too
    I always thought those were the two best reasons for static Horse Stance. I know when I was doing it regularly my legs didn't get as shaky, and my feet weren't as heavy during protracted sparring sessions. (not to be confused with the footwork thing... Horse Stance itself doesn't do anything for that.)

However, certain stance transitions and stance-based exercises move the leg through its full range of motion, and therefore should be conducive to developing real leg strength (especially those moving from awkward positions, such as Low Stance jumps, or Low-Stance-to-Bow-Stance.) I also figure just about any stance would be good for the back, as you are putting your upper body in a position in which it would typically lean forward. By resisting this instinct and straightening your back you're giving your lower back a nice low-tension excercise to develop stability in this region. I would surmise that in a fighting situation, where your stance is higher, it would be easier to maintain good posture at will.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

where your stance is higher, it would be easier to maintain good posture at will.

Reply]
    This is the main purpose of stance training...all the other good stuff is actually a secondary bennifit.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

When fighting, you're always in a stance, I use all my stances when fighting, as they all have appropriate combat applications. Horse stance for a root against hip tosses, Gong Bu to shift the weight forward for a bump when grappling, Pu Bu to shift weight back to evade, the list goes on

So my training aids my leg endurance, the more I train stances, the better the transitions become and the longer I can fight.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Takuan View Post
    When fighting, you're always in a stance, I use all my stances when fighting, as they all have appropriate combat applications. Horse stance for a root against hip tosses, Gong Bu to shift the weight forward for a bump when grappling, Pu Bu to shift weight back to evade, the list goes on
    if the guy is under your center and has a proper kazushi, your horse stance won't stop an o goshi. you would be better off trying to step around it or counter with something, like tani otoshi. However, I do see the point you are making. judoka, boxers, thai boxers, wrestlers, etc. don't do specific stance training though - they spar and drill, with the same effect.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTravesty View Post
    However, certain stance transitions and stance-based exercises move the leg through its full range of motion, and therefore should be conducive to developing real leg strength (especially those moving from awkward positions, such as Low Stance jumps, or Low-Stance-to-Bow-Stance.)
    sure it does, but as has been said, only to a point, as you can't increase the resistance (unless you are adding weight to yourself) ANY exercise done in high repetition without increasing resistance eventually becomes more endurace oriented.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter