Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Role Of Stance trainning....

No, it really doesn't.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Ok there...when we have our fight, I'll show you what I mean...when will you be in Chicago next anyway? Don't you have family here you need to visit sometime?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Man, are you still on that bull $hit? No offense Gian, but when I make it back home, I'm gonna have better things to do than run up to the North suburbs to play Kung Fu Hero with you.

But I was looking forward to crossing hands.....
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    No, it really doesn't.
    Yes, it does. Not to feed RD's ego, but I have been told by many of my grappling partners that they know when I'm working my KF stance training by how hard it is to throw me. I root better when I keep up on the stances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Yes, it does. Not to feed RD's ego, but I have been told by many of my grappling partners that they know when I'm working my KF stance training by how hard it is to throw me. I root better when I keep up on the stances.

Naw, it doesn't. Stances are definately the reason you're defending throws better, but not because of structure, rooting, or alignment. There's better ways to get that stuff.

Structure, alignment, and rooting all depend on incoming force. After all, you need something to align against, a force being applied against your structure, something for the root to connect to. If you haven't, i recommend reading Mike Sigman. The guy can be an @ss, but he knows his stuff and explains it beautifully. Tim Cartmell breaks it down pretty good as well.

Stances are isometric in nature. Here's a good definition of what that means:

Isometric Contraction—Muscle Actively Held at a Fixed Length

A third type of muscle contraction, isometric contraction, is one in which the muscle is activated, but instead of being allowed to lengthen or shorten, it is held at a constant length. An example of an isometric contraction would be carrying an object in front of you. The weight of the object would be pulling downward, but your hands and arms would be opposing the motion with equal force going upwards. Since your arms are neither raising or lowering, your biceps will be isometrically contracting.

The force generated during an isometric contraction is wholly dependant on the length of the muscle while contracting. Maximal isometric tension (Po) is produced at the muscle's optimum length, where the length of the muscle's sarcomeres are on the plateau of the length-tension curve.

This is why you want thighs parallel to the floor on a horse. It stretches the quadricep the most. If you start reading the studies, you're gonna find that isometrics tend to build strength at the ends of the muscle, but not throughout the belly like lifting weights does. Thus, the infamous "tendon strength" you hear so much mysterious babble about.

You use this stuff whenever you perform a motion that requires you to tense a muscle without flexing. changing directions quickly while running, shooting a jump shot, blocking in football, and yes, blocking a throw. That's what your grappling partners are picking up on.

If you train right, you can get all the results you need in under 3 minutes 3-4 times a week. Work it in to your daily stretching routine if you want, but don't make it out to be more than what it is, a training tool. Holding a proper stance for over 5 or 10 minutes is kinda like bench pressing 700 pounds. It can be done, but if you wont have time to train much else if that's your goal.

Imo

Becca and RD are standing in the incorrect.

Water Dragon spent a short time standing in the incorrect and now owns the correct.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    Naw, it doesn't. Stances are definately the reason you're defending throws better, but not because of structure, rooting, or alignment.
    I stopped reading after this...are you sure?
    A unique snowflake

If this helps anyone, here is what I would consider a 'proper ma bu'

http://alexng.net/fsuwushu/reference/horse2.jpg

This is not:

http://www.dekungfu.com/images/sifu/Horse%20Stance.jpg

Holding the first picture for 1 minute will give infinitely better results than holding the second for ten minutes. Try both, you'll feel the difference immediately.

I'm confused. Are we talking about horse only as an exercise? That first photo is a nice exercise, but a horrible stance. I tend to keep the two (exercise vs. utility) separate. I don't even use horse as my isometric exercise anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenshaw View Post
    I'm confused. Are we talking about horse only as an exercise? That first photo is a nice exercise, but a horrible stance. I tend to keep the two (exercise vs. utility) separate. I don't even use horse as my isometric exercise anymore.

Well yeah. I've never learned stances as direct fighting stances like a lot of people seem to do. You do very horselike things whenever you drop to block a throw, or go in for any type of hip throw, or even throwing drop elbows a la Muay Thai. But I never try to literally do the stance, that would get me thrown quick. Most of what I get from stancework I use in footwork and entries. I have a helluva reaching O Soto from doing Cat Stance. But I'm using it only as a transition as I reach in and hook his leg with mine.

And to answer the structure question, try this. Take a cat stance, 95 % back weighted. Get the high as close to parallel as possible. You should be lightly uncomfortable, but not forcing. Put your right hand on the wall and try to 'push into the wall with your back foot. Maintain that connection. That's your P'eng path and that's where structure and alignment come into play.

This is why you want thighs parallel to the floor on a horse. It stretches the quadricep the most. If you start reading the studies, you're gonna find that isometrics tend to build strength at the ends of the muscle, but not throughout the belly like lifting weights does. Thus, the infamous "tendon strength" you hear so much mysterious babble about.

Reply]
    Wow, your time in the Chinese arts hasn't taught you much has it? I really figured you'd actually know somethig comming form the background you do.

First, building strength at the "Ends" of the muscles? LOL I am actually shocked you belive crap like that in this day and age. Dude, you can't build ONE part of a muscle, or the other. EVERY exercise developes the entire muscle, as well as the joints and bones it's connected to. You cannot put a load ONLY on the neds of a muscle, and have what is inbetween be soft. Like every thing else, Holding developes the whole muscle....let me gues, you still believe in *Upper & Lower* Abbs too .. don't you?....

As for your pictures, no wonder you are so misinformed about what Stances do, those are the worst stances I have ever seen. You are ONLY supposed to go that low, when you can go that low correctly, with a tucked tailbone, stright spine rounded shoulders, and asunk chest (Do you even remember those corrections?)

Loook at my avatar, see how the back is? Tail bone is tucked, shoulders are rounded, chest is sunk. THAT is how you are supposed to hold your stances. It's way harder than the pathetic examples you posted, and you can't go low if you can't maintain those requirements.

You start high, and go ONLY as deep as you can maintain the requirements, and then slowly over a long period of time you can sink lower, and lower. eventually you cna get the thighs parelle, but when you do, your structure is correct, and you are building tremendious rooting abilities. You also need to be able to move through those stances and maintian the structure all through the motion....holding the stance is just the first part of it. That is why Taiji guys move so slow. It's to make sure they can maintain the requirements built in the stances through the transitions.

In training like this, the longer you can hold, the better.

In the silly Chung Moo Quan stance you posted, you are wasteing your time doing it at all, you'd be better off hitting the leg press machine...

For the Women:

+ = & a

And to answer the structure question, try this. Take a cat stance, 95 % back weighted. Get the high as close to parallel as possible. You should be lightly uncomfortable, but not forcing. Put your right hand on the wall and try to 'push into the wall with your back foot. Maintain that connection. That's your P'eng path and that's where structure and alignment come into play.

Reply]
    Yup, but you are never going to get it with the stances you posted above. You have to do it like the way I am in my Avatar.

For the Women:

+ = & a

All right, Bro. I disagree with you, and you disgree with me. There's no point in either of us continuing to babble about this.

In a sense Royal your right that there is just the one muscle, but and I am not talking for Water here, that strength training with isometric contractions prodcues large but highly angle-specific adaptations

I think its these angel specific adaptions people are talking about. Either way I believe your far better off hitting free weights and using conventional modern training for legs power, squats, deads, lunges.
    Last edited by Black Jack II; 04-19-2007 at 08:42 AM.