Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning Hsing-I Slowly in NYC?

Learning Hsing-I Slowly in NYC?

greetings. been a long time since i've been here.

i was wondering if anyone knew of a hsing-i school/teacher in the nyc area who teaches his curriculum rather slowly (ie - maybe one fist a year or longer).

thanks!
    Last edited by Sung; 04-09-2007 at 12:52 PM.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sung View Post
    greetings. been a long time since i've been here.

i was wondering if anyone knew of a hsing-i school/teacher in the nyc area who teaches his curriculum rather slowly (ie - maybe one fist a year or longer).

thanks!
    if you're into slow and painful, try to find a student of the late Master B P Chan - he was notorious for doing stuff like teaching one ba gua palm per year (but supposedly only to the students he really liked - the rest got it all very fast...); maybe some of them are carrying on in his tradition...

will do, thank you.

cjurakpt Guest
    just to add, it may be hard to find one of them - there are certainly a few teaching publically, but the ones that I was fortunate enough to come into contact with were in-the-door and kinda low key, to say the least...even those guys I only knew by first name (really), and I couldn't tell you at all where any of them might be at this point (it was 10+ years ago I was there)

but good luck, keep looking, "when the stuent is ready, the teaher appears" and all that, right?

Frank Allen at the Wu Tang PCA in the Lower East Side could teach you the Xing Yi of BP Chan. He is at wutangpca.com.

-Jess O

cjurakpt - i couldn't agree more about the teacher appearing when the student is ready. i'll just have to stay focused and keep my intention clear.

Rockwood - i'll definitely look into the Wu Tang Center as well, thank you.

I've also learned of another of BP Chan's students, Rudy Curry, who is also in the area but whether it's BP Chan's Hsing-Yi that I learn isn't as important to me as how I learn.

Thanks again.

cjurakpt Guest
    yes, Frank Allen has been teaching publically for a long time, and he did study many years ago with BP Chan; I have never met him personally, I have only heard about him indirectly;

Rudy Curry is a former student of my current tai chi teacher; my sifu tells me that he is a very good fighter, and his hsing yi is from B P Chan as well;

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    yes, Frank Allen has been teaching publically for a long time, and he did study many years ago with BP Chan; I have never met him personally, I have only heard about him indirectly;

Rudy Curry is a former student of my current tai chi teacher; my sifu tells me that he is a very good fighter, and his hsing yi is from B P Chan as well;
    If I remember corectly, Frank studied quite a bit with BK Frantzis.
    The more one sweats in times of peace, the less one bleeds in times of war.

so far as i know

frank allen's ba gua= bk frantzis

standing

it doesn't matter if the teacher teach's fast or slow when it comes to the fist alll that matters in xing yi is santi and nei kung. with out they two factors you could practice xing yi at one fist every five years and still be no good. santi helps build you internally and nei kung helps prepare you physically to learn the fist and it give you the power you need to execute them right. thats how i learned first standing and nei kung then fist add so forth. i doubt if your gonna find a teacher who teach's super slow but. if you want to be good just practice standing. one of the best teachers in nyc is probably li tai liang and david bond chan.

good lookin doug. i appreciate the info and will keep it in mind.

thats how my sifu taught me

my sifu wasn't a teacher by trade(he was a very well off engineer) and thanks to a mutual friendship i was ably to train with him till he moved to brazil, for two and a half years. the first years we focused on santi and nei gung then after the first year we began the fist i only learned the five fist, i never learned the linking fist nore the animals, cause my sifu got a very good job offer in brazil. been thinking about going to a school to finish up(sometimes its hard because when you learn the five fist and how to apply them you feel like you don't need the rest) or i was thinking about learning bagua and just have my five fist and bagua.

it makes sense to learn that way. besides, with the foundational training you've done, it seems learning the linking set and the other animal forms won't be a problem as the foundation is strong. who did your teacher study under if i may ask?

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    my sifu wasn't a teacher by trade(he was a very well off engineer) and thanks to a mutual friendship i was ably to train with him till he moved to brazil, for two and a half years. the first years we focused on santi and nei gung then after the first year we began the fist i only learned the five fist, i never learned the linking fist nore the animals, cause my sifu got a very good job offer in brazil. been thinking about going to a school to finish up(sometimes its hard because when you learn the five fist and how to apply them you feel like you don't need the rest) or i was thinking about learning bagua and just have my five fist and bagua.
    only one question: what is stopping you from heading down to Brazil for a month to study?

brazil!!!!

dude if i had the time to go to brazil i would. actually i've been there a few times and had some visits with him, where i watched him do some variations of the dragon and tiger(even a combine set of the two which looked pretty cool) but i don't have the time to go to brazil and i doubt if he has the time to teach me. as for his teachers i know he trained either with wang ji wu or some of his students and later with wang shu chin in taiwan and japan(where he went to collage) he showed me many defferent changes with each set some match wang shu chin some match wang ji wu. mainly i think his nei gung comes from wang ji wu and his fist are a mixture of both but i think he had yet another sifu cause some of his stuff doesn't match either wangs.