Thread: Learning Hsing-I Slowly in NYC?

Hybrid View

Learning Hsing-I Slowly in NYC?

greetings. been a long time since i've been here.

i was wondering if anyone knew of a hsing-i school/teacher in the nyc area who teaches his curriculum rather slowly (ie - maybe one fist a year or longer).

thanks!
    Last edited by Sung; 04-09-2007 at 12:52 PM.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sung View Post
    greetings. been a long time since i've been here.

i was wondering if anyone knew of a hsing-i school/teacher in the nyc area who teaches his curriculum rather slowly (ie - maybe one fist a year or longer).

thanks!
    if you're into slow and painful, try to find a student of the late Master B P Chan - he was notorious for doing stuff like teaching one ba gua palm per year (but supposedly only to the students he really liked - the rest got it all very fast...); maybe some of them are carrying on in his tradition...

will do, thank you.

cjurakpt Guest
    just to add, it may be hard to find one of them - there are certainly a few teaching publically, but the ones that I was fortunate enough to come into contact with were in-the-door and kinda low key, to say the least...even those guys I only knew by first name (really), and I couldn't tell you at all where any of them might be at this point (it was 10+ years ago I was there)

but good luck, keep looking, "when the stuent is ready, the teaher appears" and all that, right?

Frank Allen at the Wu Tang PCA in the Lower East Side could teach you the Xing Yi of BP Chan. He is at wutangpca.com.

-Jess O

cjurakpt - i couldn't agree more about the teacher appearing when the student is ready. i'll just have to stay focused and keep my intention clear.

Rockwood - i'll definitely look into the Wu Tang Center as well, thank you.

I've also learned of another of BP Chan's students, Rudy Curry, who is also in the area but whether it's BP Chan's Hsing-Yi that I learn isn't as important to me as how I learn.

Thanks again.

Can't lose with Sifu Rudy Curry's instruction

This answer may be coming a bit late but I haven't post in this forum for quite a while. I recieved instruction from Sifu Rudy Curry and I can say his teachings are solid and very well versed with the internal arts in general. His classes are quite long and information packed. Each of his students learn at their stage and at the same time. Its quite an experience. Hope this help and good luck in your studies.

With respects,
    Stan

urbanfist14...thank you...his name has come up in searches i've done and i'd like to check him out as well.

i found one page that shows he has a class in east elmhurst which isn't far at all.

cjurakpt Guest
    it's interesting - both Sifus Allen (directly as well as through B.K. Frantzis) and Curry spent a significant amount of time with B.P. Chan (and both do credit him accordingly) - not taking away from their own achievements / abilities, just showing how good quality tends to come through...