Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: African martial arts

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    seems a bit primitive no ?
    perhaps. but how far is it removed from "civilized" behavior once you remove the social trappings?

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy View Post
    perhaps. but how far is it removed from "civilized" behavior once you remove the social trappings?
    yeah but the difference is we are trying to change that

femminism etc
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

be that as it may. but every culture and society evolves and develops in its own way and in its own time adn trying to assign values of one culture to another is responsible for a great deal of the problems that exist int he world at present. now granted it is a nice idea to think the whoel world should be on the same page in regards to social reform and what not but the truth is by attributing our social and behavioral norms to another culture strips that culture of its sense of self. this leads to resentment from them and creates an underlying hostility (or in a number of cases not so underlying). not unlike the feeligns the african people tend to have towards the imperial powers that initially took their land and subjegated them.

i understand what you are saying is by no means taking anything to this extreme but its not too far from the beginning of the line of thought that creates this kind of thing.

i like run on sentences they are fun.

It starred Bruce Lee as a screaming, invincible Shaolin monk

African American Men’s’ minds as being Karate or Kung Fu. This meant primarily kicking, chopping and yelling while being dressed up in pajama- like outfits.

Since the seekers of empowerment could not discern Kung Fu movement in Africa, they sadly dismissed African combative methods as incomplete, unsophisticated, inadequate or simply not existing.

It is terrible irony that the very Black Men who turned to Africa seeking an identity, failed to see its’ rich, magnificent institutions due to the very same white supremacy that they were fighting.

Sounds like a racist to me. It's okay to talk about how "white supremacy" destroyed everything but label Asian martial arts practitioners as "screaming pajama-wearers"
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    Here is a interesting site on what it states as authentic African/Bantu martial arts, what is interesting is the section on how to spot fraud African martial arts.

If you read that section there are some clips on the some of there movements, some clips on what they call the african throw down physical challenge on there conditioning workout, and a tad bit of racism towards whitey if you read between the lines.

I have a scratch that says these cats may not want to teach the h@nkey.

http://www.africanthrowdown.homestead.com/
    remember some years back, the acquaintance I mentioned who was a guro in bukti negara silat? He is similar. He was also into capoeira and various african arts. He once told me that he would never teach them to a caucassian.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

femminism etc
    equal rights is fine. what femminism is doing now is something different all together.

It's okay to talk about how "white supremacy" destroyed everything but label Asian martial arts practitioners as "screaming pajama-wearers"
    It's ok to make up crap about white people and say we are the evil of the world yet its not cool to make for of asians.....is that a joke??

remember some years back, the acquaintance I mentioned who was a guro in bukti negara silat?
    Yeah, i remember that.

He once told me that he would never teach them to a caucassian.
    Can you picture a white dude saying the reverse about a black guy and the living hell he would get from that statement. I have not seen racism in ma but I have seen religous based-ism in some muslim silat. If your not muslim you will not always get the good stuff and be promoted all the way in the eyes of some peeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    Can you picture a white dude saying the reverse about a black guy and the living hell he would get from that statement. I have not seen racism in ma but I have seen religous based-ism in some muslim silat. If your not muslim you will not always get the good stuff and be promoted all the way in the eyes of some peeps.

I don't disagree - look at what's going on with that john imus guy. But in this regard, I guess it's really not much different than the chinese refusing to teach the non-chinese. This guy wouldn't teach an asian either, so I guess at least he discriminated equally. He didn't sound angry like the guys on that site though - he just wouldn't teach a non-black.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I won't teach a beard, just won't happen
    Bless you

thats kinda like me

if your not native american, english, german, french, and filipino, i wont teach you.....

sadly my student base isnt so hot
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I like how you used "and" and not "or"
    Bless you

lol thats because thats my blood build

A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

thats kinda like me

if your not native american, english, german, french, and filipino, i wont teach you.....

sadly my student base isnt so hot
    that's just it - they don't care about student base. Matter of fact, the guy I was referring to taught free of charge. And he was very good. I guess in a sense, I can see where they are coming from - if you ask many people, they really don't know african arts ever existed. Heck, even on this forum, where people have expressed thoughts that arts africa did have must've been influenced by china. The ones that are known get knocked like wushu does. They are trying to spread the word that african styles do exist - what I don't agree with, however, is keeping only amongst a certain group / race.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

the only reason i know of african arts is because of some research i did when looking for a school around here when i first moved to the area. i found out that tayari casel teaches in the area. i am too young to know him but from talking to some sifus i know they said he was pretty good and was popular in the 70 s or 80s. anyway he was northern shaolin and was big on the tournament circuit and then kind of dropped off of the face of the earth. turns out he went to africa and studied there. now he teaches northern shaolin and whatever the african style he learned. i have been meaning to stop by his school and see it just out of curiosity.

Thumbs down

Seems pretty simple, if you discriminate against someone based upon what they look like on the outside you are a RACIST

Racists and racism sux, it's bad, F it big time, if you are a racist DROP DEAD, regardless of what kind of racist you happen to be
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Racism is as old as mankind. It exists in all countries as there is always the need to find a scapegoat. People tend to forget that we often have the same domestic problems and worries despite our skin color and religous background.

but.....despite how racism sucks, there are sterotypes that exist. Everyone on this board unless you live under your grandma's kitchen sink has met more than a few, so let's be real about that, stupid, angry and ignorant people are everywhere.