Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Way OT about Windows Vista

Way OT about Windows Vista

I just installed Vista Ultimate on my computer. I am wondering if any one here has experience with it? mainly i am curious how to turn off the little pop up that lets me know the computer is about to do what i told it to do.

for instance i click on mozilla to get on the internet (i don't use IE) and a box comes up to let me know i am about to open mozilla. its not a big deal but its annoying and it does it with a few other programs. is there a way to make it stop?

I'm going through the same.
    Bless you

A sad realization is dawning. Cancel or allow?
    Bloodninja: I stomp the ground, and snort, to alert you that you are in my breeding territory.

there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

If you turn off security, you can get rid of cancel/allow.

Of course, you probably don't want to turn off security.

thats what i thought. i was hoping there were was a way to turn off certain elements of security without affecting the whole thing.

and that commercial was the first thing that came to mind when i was installing it last night.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy View Post
    thats what i thought. i was hoping there were was a way to turn off certain elements of security without affecting the whole thing.

and that commercial was the first thing that came to mind when i was installing it last night.
    From what I've been told by people who installed Vista, this is the biggest gripe right now with Vista.

Maybe they'll fix it in a future patch. As it stands now, though, the security model seems to be kindof retarded. A lot of firewall SW for XP allows you to set permissions on a per app basis and only get notified when a new app does something unexpected.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Great, my new PC arrives next week, and that's really gonna bug me (and drive my wife nuts)
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Strip it and put XP back in.....
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

should've got the basic without the security junk. Stinger is better.
    Anyone have any thoughts on Linux? I have a few distributions but have not installed them or tried em out other than a shell for simple programming, finding libraries that people are willing to give away for free is a pain at times though.

With Vista, can you turn off security and run an XP firewall? I don't have Vista, so I don't know.

Any Vista success stories or fans out there?

Fighting on the Internet and competing in the Special Olympics have a lot in common. They are both exclusively for the Retarded. Anon

Among the many proud moments of my life was having my discipleship posted on Mantis Cave and one of the funniest was when I saw how they mis-spelled it. Moi

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    Strip it and put XP back in.....
    go one better.....get a mac

Quote Originally Posted by brothernumber9 View Post
    should've got the basic without the security junk. Stinger is better.
    Anyone have any thoughts on Linux? I have a few distributions but have not installed them or tried em out other than a shell for simple programming, finding libraries that people are willing to give away for free is a pain at times though.
    The main problem with Linux is there's not a lot of commercial apps. If you're just running a server or something and not using it for home use, then you could probably try that.

But if you're using it for home use and want to run some commercial software, unless it runs under Wine or something, you'd probably be SOL.