Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jackie Chan's Disciples

Jackie Chan's Disciples

Apr 7, 10:23 AM EDT
    Jackie Chan Launches Chinese TV Show

BEIJING (AP) -- Jackie Chan on Saturday launched a Chinese TV competition aimed at scouting out new action movie talent, saying more than 100,000 people have already signed up for a shot at kung fu stardom.

"A lot of actors are good at fighting but (their style) is not beautiful," the Chinese star and stunt man, who turned 53 Saturday, said in Beijing.

"If you can incorporate dance with an ability to perform kung fu, that would be better," Chan told an audience that included a selected 20 of the show's contestants and some Chinese celebrities.

The TV show, whose English title is "The Disciple," is jointly produced by Chan and Beijing TV Station, known as BTV.

The show will run from March to October, with 10 winners appearing in a movie to be produced by Chan, organizers said. The movie will be released before the 2008 Beijing Olympics, Chan said.
    Of course, we knew about this already....

Jackie Chan's Disciples - Global Talent Search

Jackie Chan has launched an international talent search for his new reality talent show Jackie Chan’s Disciples. Ten winners will be named “Descendants of the Dragon” on the show’s finale on top of the Great Wall in October 2007. The Descendants of the Dragon will each be awarded with a film contract, as well as receive personal training from Jackie Chan.

The U.S.A. competition will be held on Friday, May 27 from 2 to 6 PM at the Wu Chi Kung Fu Academy, 40924 Fremont Blvd., Fremont, CA 94538. Contestants must be a Chinese citizen or Chinese descendants from 18 to 28, be moral and free of bad habits, and unsigned by any entertainment, broker or producing company. They will be judged on their skills in martial arts, dance, vocals, acrobatics, comedy, gymnastics and acting. Registration is $80. Forms can be downloaded at www.IntMAT.com or www.wuchikungfu.com. Submission deadline is May 25th, 2007. Three winners and five runners-up will be selected by the U.S.A. Committee. The U.S.A. Committee: Chair: Tao He, Co-chairs: Ann Woo, Gigi Oh, Tony Chen. A U.S.A. Winner Award Ceremony will be held in June 10th at 6PM at the San Jose Civic Auditorium.

The three winners will be sent to Beijing to enter the Global Semi-final Competition starting on June 15. The Global Semi-final Competition will consist of 300 candidates selected from different countries will gather in Beijing to be trained under Jackie’s guidance to compete for 40 semi-finalist slots. Global Finals will narrow the field down to 20 finalists. These competitions will be held from June 15th to 25th in Beijing. The Final Competition will be held on top of the Great Wall from September 20th to 29th. For more information, see long.btv.com.cn.
    See TigerClawFoundation.org now for more on our involvement.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

You beat me to it...

I just read JC's remarks about this new show, and I'm surprised the MMA community is not more in an uproar. Particularly this one -

"A lot of actors are good at fighting but (their style) is not beautiful,". (a la WuShu)

-just talking here,

TuG.
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

We're still waiting for that good MMA movie. In fact, we're still waiting for any other martial movie genre outside of CMA or samurai films to have that significant an impact. Clearly, Thai martial arts films show a lot of promise, but we're only talking about less than half a dozen films. Compare that with the countless kung fu and samurai films that have been released for decades and continue to be made. Even Parkour showed some promise, but like the Thai stuff, we're only talking a handful of films.

I'm ready for that MMA movie, or more Thai, or more Parkour. I don't think the popular market cares. They just want to see good action. But until they really come forward, we'll be watching more kung fu flicks.

As for not being beautiful, this is the same misunderstanding that many martial artists had about K-STAR (and perhaps to some degree, Final Fu). It's 'reality' TV, which means that looks totally count. The sexier the contestants, the better the ratings. For both Disciples and K-STAR, they are grooming a new star, so looks definitely count. In this way, it's really more like America's Next Top Model or even Grease: You're the one that I want. They're looking for a whole celebrity package, not just a good fighter. If you want to find good fighters, that's what MMA is for.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

so how does the lueb get into it? i think i would be awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Agreed...

Since it's tv for the masses, I would think it'd be hard to sell serious MMA, but since it's growing somewhat exponentially in popularity, hopefully it won't be too long...

Thank god for UFC, K1 and Pride. (and Spike for promoting it so)

Any thoughts on IFL I haven't noticed yet? A fiance of a friend of mine is training with them, and is extremely avid about it. Looks like plain ol' brawlin' IMO.
    Last edited by tug; 04-13-2007 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Editing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

Faking Gene's Birth Certificate

Gene could pass for 28. He could. A badly worn and tired 28, but 28! We'll dip him in some rioixin or skin tightener or whatever it's called. And the we'll get him entered on the Disciple! Start photoshopping that birth certificate today.

Oh wait, good moral values and habits. That might be a problem . . .
    Last edited by grlyncher99; 04-13-2007 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Mispelling
    ~The table saw is my weapon of
    choice

I'll throw in for it...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Sifu Abel

You know, I was carded just last year...

...but 2006 was a rough one and I've aged a lot since then.

Sorry Lueb, Jackie is only making this show open to people of Asian descent. No German wrasslers allowed.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    We're still waiting for that good MMA movie. In fact, we're still waiting for any other martial movie genre outside of CMA or samurai films to have that significant an impact.
    What? What about American Ninja and the entire Ninja craze of the 1980s and early 1990s ... no impact?

Dudikoff!

Dudikoff!

Dudikoff!

*koff*
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Sifu Abel

HEy Gene, have you seen Undisputed 2? I would consider that the definitive MMA movie, but I still think it could be better.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

What do you people know?

How can you say there are no great MMA movies when "Irish American Ninja" is available for rental?
    Last edited by grlyncher99; 04-15-2007 at 08:51 AM. Reason: spelling
    ~The table saw is my weapon of
    choice

ninjas

I've always considered ninjas to be derivative of the samurai chanbara genre, but after a little reflection, I concede that ninja flicks are a genre on to themselves, especially in the west.

I haven't seen Undisputed 2. I haven't seen Undisputed 1. I saw Honor. These were all direct-2-DVD, right?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Sorry Lueb, Jackie is only making this show open to people of Asian descent. No German wrasslers allowed.

thats ****ing ghey and racist. oh well, looks like i will have to make it in hong kong on my own then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

****ing ghey and racist

I was wondering when someone would comment on that. It's tricky and raises a lot of questions. Since it's a specific audition for a show, when you do auditions, there is always a specific demographic. Is that racist? Can you cast white guys for Asian roles and vice versa? Remember what happened with Joel Grey in Remo Williams. Were there any Asian or Black competitors for Grease: You're the one that I want and if so, how did they do? I didn't watch that show at all so I have no idea.

I'm not seeking to defend this. I'm just curious since it's somewhat uncharted territory and I think it's worth some exploration here. At least Jackie didn't call anyone nappy-headed hos.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips