Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jackie Chan's Disciples

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    At least Jackie didn't call anyone nappy-headed hos.
    I kinda wish he would've. Maybe then the show'd make it to basic cable just for the fuss ratings.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

I can't resist this

Given the course of this thread, this is probably not PC, but I just got to post this now.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I've always considered ninjas to be derivative of the samurai chanbara genre, but after a little reflection, I concede that ninja flicks are a genre on to themselves, especially in the west.

I haven't seen Undisputed 2. I haven't seen Undisputed 1. I saw Honor. These were all direct-2-DVD, right?
    I haven't seen Honor or Undisputed 1, but Undisputed 1 had Ving Rames and Wesley Snipes, so I doubt it was direct to video.

And shame on you for not seeing Undisputed 2.

There is no need to see part 1 (at least that is what i have heard), but you should really see part 2 ASAP. Becasue of this movie, Scott Adkins is no doubt going to be a star and I heard he is going to be in the Bourne Ultimatum movie.
    Last edited by jethro; 04-16-2007 at 06:38 PM.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

its back to the old sterotype. your only good at kung fu if your chinese. i have seen plenty of chinese who arent good and that i am better then.

if someone came to my school and said i cant train with you cause im not chinese i would laugh at them.

just cause its a chinese person doesnt make them good.

but yeah its casting so i guess they can ask for what they want whether it be asian or whatever. heck i can be a bad guy still right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

kung fu Northern style is the best

Of course, we knew about this already....

See TigerClawFoundation.org now for more on our involvement.
    Hi...im new at this but i have 28 years Chow Gar Style northern...
    From Master chow bill one of the best in Northern China....if i go i will be one of the 10 best...im even better than Jackie Chan...I do 56 diifrent styles of forms 3 and 4 and 7 arm dummy ...never been seen before /...I am doing instructional dvd....56 diffrent styles...learn the best of the true northern style art....at www.youcandokungfu.com move over Jackie Chan,..good by jet li....Here comes Marco Revah...Chow gar real style

wooden dummy expert...

Quote Originally Posted by youcandokungfu View Post
    Hi...im new at this but i have 28 years Chow Gar Style northern...
    From Master chow bill one of the best in Northern China....if i go i will be one of the 10 best...im even better than Jackie Chan...I do 56 diifrent styles of forms 3 and 4 and 7 arm dummy ...never been seen before /...I am doing instructional dvd....56 diffrent styles...learn the best of the true northern style art....at www.youcandokungfu.com move over Jackie Chan,..good by jet li....Here comes Marco Revah...Chow gar real style
    Any one want to learn the 4 and 7 arm wooden dummy 256 moves?????
    never been seen before...???

riiiiiiiiiiiiiight, so back OT...

Shaolinlueb, I think you're assuming that this is just about kung fu. It isn't. That's the same problem that many critics had about K-STAR. They assumed it was just about kung fu (or wushu or MMA or whatever). Here in America, we have typecast Jackie as a martial artist only. But in Asia, Jackie is a celebrity on many different levels. In THE MYTH: Jackie Chan's Stir-fries HERO, MUSA and Lara Croft Chop Suey Style, author August West taps this somewhat in his intro. If someone is to be a genuine disciple of Jackie, sure, he or she has got to have some kung fu skills. But there also needs to be singing talent and, well, to quote August, oatcakes.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by youcandokungfu View Post
    Any one want to learn the 4 and 7 arm wooden dummy 256 moves?????
    never been seen before...???
    Where is your clip. The video sample doesn't show you moving. Where is your 4 arm and 7 arm wooden dummy DVD for sale?

If you want to sell, then post a clip and link to buy.

Better yet, post a clip of you fighting 4 Amazons.

Blog Entries
    I'm surprised Bollywood hasn't tried to cash in the Kalaripayattu card yet...

The action in Bollywood movies (when it's not dancing action), looks Hong Kongy.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Quote Originally Posted by yutyeesam View Post
    I'm surprised Bollywood hasn't tried to cash in the Kalaripayattu card yet...

The action in Bollywood movies (when it's not dancing action), looks Hong Kongy.

Kalaripayattu don't exactly look like modern movie wushu fighting. It looks ... extremely primitive by comparison.

See ... it looks like something somebody might actually use to fight, not like fancy wushu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWvES...elated&search=
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WumqM...elated&search=

(Okay, maybe the fire part is the exception). LOL

Shaolinlueb, I think you're assuming that this is just about kung fu. It isn't. That's the same problem that many critics had about K-STAR. They assumed it was just about kung fu (or wushu or MMA or whatever). Here in America, we have typecast Jackie as a martial artist only. But in Asia, Jackie is a celebrity on many different levels. In THE MYTH: Jackie Chan's Stir-fries HERO, MUSA and Lara Croft Chop Suey Style, author August West taps this somewhat in his intro. If someone is to be a genuine disciple of Jackie, sure, he or she has got to have some kung fu skills. But there also needs to be singing talent and, well, to quote August, oatcakes.

yeah but his kung fu is so much ebtter then his singing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt View Post
    See ... it looks like something somebody might actually use to fight, not like fancy wushu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWvES...elated&search=
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WumqM...elated&search=

(Okay, maybe the fire part is the exception). LOL
    Thanks for the clips! I found one too:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpCCj...elated&search=

Whip & shield vs. whip & shield! Mighty interesting - makes for some good visuals.

I think there is a high performance element to this. There are some yogic type poses in the art. Man, if this could be movie-i-fied, and marketed and packaged to the soccer-mom yoga craze, who knows! lol

But in reality, I don't think Kalaripayattu will ever become movied and marketed up. Too bad. There's some good stuff and high performance value stuff to it.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

I was wondering when someone would comment on that. It's tricky and raises a lot of questions. Since it's a specific audition for a show, when you do auditions, there is always a specific demographic. Is that racist? Can you cast white guys for Asian roles and vice versa? Remember what happened with Joel Grey in Remo Williams. Were there any Asian or Black competitors for Grease: You're the one that I want and if so, how did they do? I didn't watch that show at all so I have no idea.

I'm not seeking to defend this. I'm just curious since it's somewhat uncharted territory and I think it's worth some exploration here. At least Jackie didn't call anyone nappy-headed hos.
    It seems like the racist thing is kindof wrong, in a way. It doesn't seem like you can really completely ignore what people look like and where they come from, especially when you're trying to market to a particular demographic.

Saying that people are somehow inherently worse because they come from some place or are some race would be racism, but trying to find an Asian star for a largely Asian demographic doesn't seem like racism.

So the 'nappy' thing definitely would be sexist or racist because he used a derogatory term (not nappy), but looking for an Asian star doesn't seem to be the same thing.

Does that make sense?

Of course, there's probably a lot of martial arts people who will think this is unfair. Given the Western fetish, if you will, of a large portion of young Asians, it seems like it actually might be a bit of a mistake to discount a non-Asian star.

Just for clarification

My understanding is that Jackie Chan's Disciple will only be broadcast in Mainland China. Like K-STAR, we'll probably only get to see a few stray clips on youtube or something.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips