Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: mma fighter gets reality check

Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt View Post
    How about wanting MMA to succeed and wipe out all other schools because you are mad at CMA teachers who seem only interested in pocketing $ at the expense of their students?

Is that wrong?
    It's called survival of the fittest. Martial Darwinism. If people feel they aren't getting the bang for their buck at the McKwoon and find it at a MMA gym, is it MMA's fault? Or that of an educated consumer? Also, MMA and TMA has it's down sides. Neither are saints, but to sit and wish failure instead of success is just hating.

Are you supporting sifus who dupe their students for cash, Neil?
    Last edited by CaptinPickAxe; 04-11-2007 at 01:37 PM.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Quote Originally Posted by CaptinPickAxe View Post
    It's called survival of the fittest. Martial Darwinism. If people feel they aren't getting the bang for their buck at the McKwoon and find it at a MMA gym, is it MMA's fault? Or that of an educated consumer? Also, MMA and TMA has it's down sides. Neither are saints, but to sit and wish failure instead of success is just hating.

Are you supporting sifus who dupe their students for cash, Neil?
    Personally, I hope that MMA places wipe all the McDojos and McKwoons off the map, because I'm tired of them bilking unsuspecting students.

Better people take nothing at all than McWhatever, and the people who are serious can do MMA.

And no, I don't go to ANY teachers.

This is blind hate. And stupidity to boot. To think that there is nothing to be learned from CMA is plain retarded. Would I go to a Shaolin school to learn how to grapple? No, but that doesn't mean that they lack interesting theories in striking. What it boils down to, Neil, is that you are trying to find the quick fix. At a glance, yes MMA is a quick fix. However, if you look deeper MMA isn't a martial art but a rule set for matches. I guarentee when you go to a MMA gym, you'll be learning a couple of martial arts. Some of which may be considered "CMA garbage" in your eyes. It's all about application. It just so happens when you train for MMA, it's much more application oriented.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

So you don't train, Neil?
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

This is blind hate. And stupidity to boot. To think that there is nothing to be learned from CMA is plain retarded. Would I go to a Shaolin school to learn how to grapple? No, but that doesn't mean that they lack interesting theories in striking. What it boils down to, Neil, is that you are trying to find the quick fix. At a glance, yes MMA is a quick fix. However, if you look deeper MMA isn't a martial art but a rule set for matches. I guarentee when you go to a MMA gym, you'll be learning a couple of martial arts. Some of which may be considered "CMA garbage" in your eyes. It's all about application. It just so happens when you train for MMA, it's much more application oriented.
    No, I'm sorry, it's not blind hate. I've gotten screwed over by too many CMA teachers in my life, and I'm tired of them bilking unsuspecting people.

And I'm not looking for a 'quick fix'. There is no fix. IMHO the system is unfixable.

As for "Much More Application Oriented". Why the hell are you going to martial arts class if you don't want Application Oriented? If you want to work on your character go to Sunday School.

So you don't train, Neil?
    I don't go to schools anymore. Not much point -- they all require you to learn their style to get to apps practice.

Which is why MMA seems to be better probably for most people out there because they don't have to do any stupid forms.

Don't get me wrong -- I used to argue against MMA for a long time but after looking at a lot of schools around here they seem to be the only schools doing sufficient apps practice.

There are rumors of other schools, and I need to check out Leong's Hung Gar to see if it really is like Goldenarms says, but the apps oriented places seem to be few and far between now, and everybody else is wasting their money.

And why waste money and think you can defend yourself when you really can't? To study culture? If you want to study culture then don't call it martial arts, call it culture class.
    Last edited by neilhytholt; 04-11-2007 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    How do you know? Where you there? The only information that we have is that he got his eye busted up and that is all. Was he hit with a board or was he hit with a fist? We don't know. Was he suckerpunched like the article says or was it a true fight? We don't know. How much alcohol was in his system? We don't know.

You are basing your conclusion on very little information.
    Hi Chief Fox,

I agree we have very little information, but there is reason behind my conclusion. That does not mean it is a correct conclusion. It means it is not an arbitrary conclusion. A reasoned conclusion provides for a greater probability of correctness than a blind guess or assumptions based upon no information at all.

If we presume that training is to keep ourselves from harm, we know from the scant facts he was not protected from harm. A secondary goal of training would be, if injured, minimize the damage received. He in fact received great bodily injury. He was not killed and that is good, but the article did not say anything about him being continually pummeled once he was down. The article implied he was out for the count after the initial strike and was disregarded as a further threat. Therefore his training did not protect him from greater harm than he already had received. We may still presume that his training may have kept him from greater harm, but we don't really know that at this time. Therefore, I think it safe to presume that at best his training did nothing to protect him and at the least it did very little.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    there are two accounts of the story:

1. he tried to start a fight and got mollywocked by the guy, who was acting in self defense.

2. he was running to help his friends and got mollywocked.

if the first is true, then he could not have been blindsided. a blindsided punch is not acting in self defense.

if the second is true, then YOU are the one assuming, because both he and his friend are alive. according to that version of the story, three guys were trying to jump his friend.
    Hi SevenStar,

My statement:

It is a more likely assumption that he was blindsided.
    clearly implies I understand I am making assumptions as well. My comment just posted to Chief Fox makes clear the reasoning I used to come to my conclusion. Please note it also implies I understand my conclusion could be wrong.

Neither picking a fight nor responding to a fight requires any actual demonstration of skill.

Blindsided merely means surprised by a strike, that is, being struck without prior knowledge a strike is coming or being struck without “enough” prior knowledge to respond effectively. He did not respond effectively. He was severely injured. It is irrelevant whether he was responding to a fight or picking a fight. Surprised is surprised! Surprise is a tactic and it is effective.

If he was squared off and prepared to be struck then his training is even more inadequate than I have implied in my previous comments! At any rate being struck hard enough to cave in your face is also being struck hard enough to kill you, so he is very lucky. It is just as possible he reacted just enough to keep from being killed.

What you need to do is develope a killer instinct. be abel to attack fast and first and not stop or let him catch their breath, its hard to do this unless you grew up in the hood, everyone has natural inclinations to resist turning something into violence and will infact put themselves in a vulnerable spot to not turn it itno violence, but it needs to be done. Generally the one who is the more violent person wins 90% of the time, not the most skilled person.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    None of the Above.
    What this proves is that anyone, no matter who, what, how you are trained, can get hit. It can be anyone's fight. I could win today, you could win tomorrow. If we fight and my biorhythm,hormone levels, or whatever is off, I have a bad day, you have a good day-I could zig when I should've zagged, your finger could graze my eyeball-it's done. Over.
    Have you ever fought someone who was your equal? All it depends on is who gets in the shot. Have you ever fought and beaten someone who was better-because you got in the shot? It happens all the time.
    This is why the more you train, the less likely you will start, or get into fights. You begin to realize that anyone and everyone can have their day. We are vulnerable, and fights are serious matters. We train harder to attempt to minimize the occurance, but your body and mind are different from day to day. Style, MMA, TCMA,whathaveyou is not the point.

Clearly, this article only goes to show that striking arts are superior to ground fighting arts. Wrestling, even at top-tier professional levels, does not train a man to face real-world violence.

I'm willing to bet, 10:1, that the man O'Haire was fighting had some kind of traditional Chinese training.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    Clearly, this article only goes to show that striking arts are superior to ground fighting arts. Wrestling, even at top-tier professional levels, does not train a man to face real-world violence.

I'm willing to bet, 10:1, that the man O'Haire was fighting had some kind of traditional Chinese training.
    i'l take that bet

u now officially owe me money
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by JetLi'sFearless View Post
    What you need to do is develope a killer instinct. be abel to attack fast and first and not stop or let him catch their breath, its hard to do this unless you grew up in the hood, everyone has natural inclinations to resist turning something into violence and will infact put themselves in a vulnerable spot to not turn it itno violence, but it needs to be done. Generally the one who is the more violent person wins 90% of the time, not the most skilled person.

Only people from the hood have killer instinct
    Bless you

That's because they can't afford any of the many newer video game systems that have come out since Killer Instinct hit the market.

They're all still playing NEO GEO.
    Last edited by Mega-Foot; 05-12-2007 at 07:48 AM.

if the first is true, then he could not have been blindsided. a blindsided punch is not acting in self defense.

Reply]
    Not really, if someone is charging in on you and you blind side them unexpectedly (especially if they are sure they have you), you ARE defending yourself.

we fight and my biorhythm,hormone levels, or whatever is off, I have a bad day, you have a good day-I could zig when I should've zagged, your finger could graze my eyeball-it's done. Over

Reply]
    Ummm sorry, but no. MMA/BJJ and the gracies have already proven Eye Gouges don't work, and are not effective techniques. This is especially so when one is a TCMA practitioner, but not as true when they are BJJ practiioners.

Clearly, this article only goes to show that striking arts are superior to ground fighting arts.

Reply]
    I could also prove that one guy had really good striking skills, and the other had relly bad striking skills.

Wrestling, even at top-tier professional levels, does not train a man to face real-world violence.

Reply]
    No, they don't, HOWEVER competition fighters are better prepared for real violence than those who just train the corner dojo, or do nothing at all.

Naww, O'hair is just a crappy striker that met a good striker.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a