Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: mma fighter gets reality check

Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt View Post
    LOL. You fell off your pedantic high horse for once.

Admitting that MMA is limited, because it's not fit for the street, and admitting that TMA is limited because it doesn't practice in live situations, would imply that they both suck, wouldn't it?
    Its not the art you dolt, it is the attitude of the fighter that matters! Streetfighters don't commonly practice the MA, they practice how to fight and win using any means necessary! It is primarily strategy and tactics and secondarily skill!

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    it was two drunks in a bar and one lucky punch. such is life. the same woulda happened to you or any tma. the lesson? don't drink, get obnoxious and start bar fights
    Hi SevenStar

The point is his training didnt do him any good. The lesson is dont think you are a tough guy just becuz you think you have some training or experience.

It is your impression it was a lucky punch. You are assuming that, you dont actually know! It is a more likely assumption that he was blindsided. That is tactics not luck.

Here is a clip of his Pride fight vrs Butterbean, its only 38 seconds long, but there is a nine minute version of it on youtube but this cuts to the end result as quick as sh!t through a goose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69prz...elated&search=

As for the object lesson, at least from where I am perched, is that self defense is not just about learning how to make funny sounding squals when spinning or talking about all the ring matches you had, its a module of global thinking.

This guy was a a$$hole making a whole world of assumptions about how dirty harry esque people should treat him, check the bottom of the article for prior reports to the cops about his behaviour, and one day the world didn't like those assumptions and a non-dim mak killing machine bartender said f@ck it, lets crack this guys orbtial bone so he has to have plastic surgery and maybe have vision problems for life.

All because the guy got lost in his own head.
    Last edited by Black Jack II; 04-11-2007 at 10:17 AM.

The best way

If you don't want to get attacked by drunken criminals, don't put yourself in places and situations where that is going to happen. If you are preparing yourself for brutal violence and paranoid about being the victim of crime, then you have already put yourself in that world. The fight everyone needs to win is the fight with their own ego, and their own fear.

Which way is best for winning on the street? not fighting on the street.

"Because he does not compete, no one can compete with him"
    "He who lives by the sword will die by the sword"
    -Lao tzu
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    = Ignorant Comment.

Been Married? Had a girlfriend? Familiar with the term 'Hormonal?' Do some research before you before you spew out such a silly comment. Steriods affect your HORMONES. They increase test. and can make thier users quite 'edgey'. Look into it.

first, thanks for your tone i appreciate it. second, i have looked into it. i train everyday with a bunch of powerlifters .... some on gear some not. they are the same guys on or off the gear. i choose not to use it for my own personal reasons, but i dont judge. when i get to a point where it matters, i can say that im all natural, but i wont hold my breath for someone to mail me my gold star. steroid use does increase testosterone levels while you are taking it, but this does not automatically turn someone into a "roid head." while increased test levels may make you a little more aggressive, most people using them have an outlet for this aggression. in general higher test levels usually cause one to be in better moods. sex temporarily increases test levels as well ... do you feel like getting into a fight after getting laid? depression due to decreased test levels (and increased estrogen levels) off the juice and psychological dependence due to difficulty keeping gains off the juice are much more likely and common psychological side effects than "roid rage." used responsibly steroids have very few if any serious side effects. problems arise when people get psychologically addicted to them and never cycle them off, use far more than they should, or both.

i could send you 10 articles supporting this, but you could in turn send me 15 more that support your side. ill go ahead and base my opinion on direct experience.
    where's my beer?

First of let me start out by saying that its always a shame whenever anyone gets hurt. I wasn't there cannot make judgements on the incident or how it started but O'haire's eye and face sound quite badly damaged and that is a cause to regret.

Somewhere along the line this thread became a MMA vs TMA debate but really what happened to O'haire begs a question of willingness. I'm a south Londoner in my neck of the woods shooting and stabbing people is the norm. Last week a gang stabbed a 15 year old boy with a poker through his chest outside my next door neighbours house.

No form of competition fighting is real. I've been to real fights fought on concrete in the middle of council estates (which American's call projects) and that was real and that has generally convinced me that a lot of guys take themselves too seriously. Whatever you train at the end of the day the only thing that matters is intent and power. Are you training to kill? And do you have the power to kill? Cos as a martial artist thats what you need.

The difference between O'haire and the other guy was not alchohol it was the fact that the dude that messed up his face did not have a second thought about doing it. Street fighters, real street fighters, are brutal. They will push you and while you gain your ground reach into the nearest dustbin rip out a bottle and smash it across your face. You take on one guy you turn your back and bang you're taking on six and if you dont have the power to stop each one with one strike dont be surprised if you find a blunt object crashing against the back of your head or someone's knife slicing across the back of your knee.

To me what this incident shows is that regardless of MMA or TMA a lot of guys train for competition and not for self-defence. A lot of guys live in self-contentment at the level they've achieved because they have the moves to take out a guy in a regulated one on one format. Now dont think I am hating on the achievements of full contact fighters either in MMA or TMA. Cage or Lei Tai its all good. Sakuraba, Su-Dong Chen...no doubt these BMF's could rip it up on the concrete. But are they the norm or the exceptions?

Me personally. I know I'm not an exception right now and I'm training to change that. I am not too proud to say that my skills are not at the level where my first move would not be to get around the nearest guy and run for my life. But make no mistake about it I am not going to allow the situation to go unaddressed. I dont intend to pick fights but I do intend to be in a position where if cornered someday soon I will be able to finish fights.

What happened to O'haire should beg the question to all: am I training for self-defence or for sport? I know where I lay.

If you are preparing yourself for brutal violence and paranoid about being the victim of crime, then you have already put yourself in that world.
    That is so not valid. There is a difference between being paranoid and training contextual for a real world altercation. Training for violence does not put you into the world described in that article.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    The point is his training didnt do him any good.
    How do you know? Where you there? The only information that we have is that he got his eye busted up and that is all. Was he hit with a board or was he hit with a fist? We don't know. Was he suckerpunched like the article says or was it a true fight? We don't know. How much alcohol was in his system? We don't know.

You are basing your conclusion on very little information.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Leto View Post
    If you don't want to get attacked by drunken criminals, don't put yourself in places and situations where that is going to happen. If you are preparing yourself for brutal violence and paranoid about being the victim of crime, then you have already put yourself in that world. The fight everyone needs to win is the fight with their own ego, and their own fear.

Which way is best for winning on the street? not fighting on the street.

"Because he does not compete, no one can compete with him"
    "He who lives by the sword will die by the sword"
    -Lao tzu
    sometimes u dont have a choice, liek if u live in the hood, visit a hood wher eu get checked, go to a foreign country ran by hoods to visit ur family, etc.

most people freeze when they are close to violence anyway and all that mma or tma stuff goes out the window. For instance I watched man boxing/mma fights live and on tv and never really felt fear, but when I saw those two big guys fight otuside the bar (one ex con who intimidated me by his looks alone), I felt fear and kinda shock cause it looked alot mroe violent than any sport fight and could have turned ugly fast casue they had no holding back.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Hi SevenStar

The point is his training didnt do him any good. The lesson is dont think you are a tough guy just becuz you think you have some training or experience.

It is your impression it was a lucky punch. You are assuming that, you dont actually know! It is a more likely assumption that he was blindsided. That is tactics not luck.
    there are two accounts of the story:

1. he tried to start a fight and got mollywocked by the guy, who was acting in self defense.

2. he was running to help his friends and got mollywocked.

if the first is true, then he could not have been blindsided. a blindsided punch is not acting in self defense.

if the second is true, then YOU are the one assuming, because both he and his friend are alive. according to that version of the story, three guys were trying to jump his friend.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by JetLi'sFearless View Post
    sometimes u dont have a choice, liek if u live in the hood, visit a hood wher eu get checked, go to a foreign country ran by hoods to visit ur family, etc.
    this coming from a guy who's only experiences in the hood are lived through his imaginary ex con friend who likes to fight a lot...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

LOL at the need to see MMA fail because of the lack of TMA recognition. Why can't you just enjoy the sport and be happy that martial arts are stepping into the lime light. Oh, wait...probably cause they aren't airing Kata tourneys on PPV and making millions.

It's sad that people are so martially xenophobic that essentially they want MMA (MARTIAL ARTS) to fail because their arts are represented properly. Instead of comiserating in it's failure, why don't you train so you can properly represent your art in THIS VENUE!
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Quote Originally Posted by Crosshandz View Post
    First of let me start out by saying that its always a shame whenever anyone gets hurt. I wasn't there cannot make judgements on the incident or how it started but O'haire's eye and face sound quite badly damaged and that is a cause to regret.

Somewhere along the line this thread became a MMA vs TMA debate but really what happened to O'haire begs a question of willingness. I'm a south Londoner in my neck of the woods shooting and stabbing people is the norm. Last week a gang stabbed a 15 year old boy with a poker through his chest outside my next door neighbours house.

No form of competition fighting is real. I've been to real fights fought on concrete in the middle of council estates (which American's call projects) and that was real and that has generally convinced me that a lot of guys take themselves too seriously. Whatever you train at the end of the day the only thing that matters is intent and power. Are you training to kill? And do you have the power to kill? Cos as a martial artist thats what you need.

The difference between O'haire and the other guy was not alchohol it was the fact that the dude that messed up his face did not have a second thought about doing it. Street fighters, real street fighters, are brutal. They will push you and while you gain your ground reach into the nearest dustbin rip out a bottle and smash it across your face. You take on one guy you turn your back and bang you're taking on six and if you dont have the power to stop each one with one strike dont be surprised if you find a blunt object crashing against the back of your head or someone's knife slicing across the back of your knee.

To me what this incident shows is that regardless of MMA or TMA a lot of guys train for competition and not for self-defence. A lot of guys live in self-contentment at the level they've achieved because they have the moves to take out a guy in a regulated one on one format. Now dont think I am hating on the achievements of full contact fighters either in MMA or TMA. Cage or Lei Tai its all good. Sakuraba, Su-Dong Chen...no doubt these BMF's could rip it up on the concrete. But are they the norm or the exceptions?

Me personally. I know I'm not an exception right now and I'm training to change that. I am not too proud to say that my skills are not at the level where my first move would not be to get around the nearest guy and run for my life. But make no mistake about it I am not going to allow the situation to go unaddressed. I dont intend to pick fights but I do intend to be in a position where if cornered someday soon I will be able to finish fights.

What happened to O'haire should beg the question to all: am I training for self-defence or for sport? I know where I lay.
    that was one of the best posts I've read in a while... other than mine, of course.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by CaptinPickAxe View Post
    LOL at the need to see MMA fail because of the lack of TMA recognition. Why can't you just enjoy the sport and be happy that martial arts are stepping into the lime light. Oh, wait...probably cause they aren't airing Kata tourneys on PPV and making millions.

It's sad that people are so martially xenophobic that essentially they want MMA (MARTIAL ARTS) to fail because their arts are represented properly. Instead of comiserating in it's failure, why don't you train so you can properly represent your art in THIS VENUE!
    How about wanting MMA to succeed and wipe out all other schools because you are mad at CMA teachers who seem only interested in pocketing $ at the expense of their students?

Is that wrong?