View Poll Results: Testing a theory. We will see what the numbers say first.

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • train at a school

22 66.67%
  • backyard/garage

15 45.45%
  • train on your own/dont want to learn a whole new system

6 18.18%
  • train private instruction/with friends

13 39.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you train?

I am trying to form a small club to practice at the local park near me. I have a few guys what are interested (We will see if work permits though), one bounces, so i think I have a samll seed of something...we will see if I can keep it alive or not.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I'll tell you one thing, it is difficult to find people who want to train on a steady basis and in a progressive manner.

It's taken about 5 years to get together with a few guys and only one of them trains with me on a totally consistent basis. One other guy has been with us both for almost 2 years and there is a new guy.

i've seen more guys just drop it after a couple of dozen sessions though and it takes a while before you can get up to banging with a little gusto.

Anyway, if you are going to go the route of outta school and still wanna train, best be patient cause you are gonna run into guys who want to train but don't or can't be consistent and that will drag on your own progression.

Make sure you have a plan that can carry you through those times.

fight clubs are just injury barrels waiting to get filled. Better to train smart.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Luckily I have two guys at my school who did MA before to train with when we don't have class. It's cool because we all have different backs grounds pushing 10 years, and we all have the same goal. One did Wing chun, the other Chen tai chi, and we are all just trying to get better at mantis.

We just practice on shaded BBall court at a middle school.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

more voting

C'mon guys its only a click of the button. 2 seconds to help out.
    Everybody has a plan, Til they get hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldphoenix View Post
    C'mon guys its only a click of the button. 2 seconds to help out.
    No one else here actually trains.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Part of why it's not easy...

I work out a lot on my own, but when I'm at the school I know that the people I work with respect me and I respect them. We trust each other to watch out for safety but still give our best. I know that they are there to learn and improve and they know the same is true of me. With respect and understanding comes safety. Sure, we still get hurt, but at least we trust each other not to intentionally cause injury or to continue to attack once injury has occurred.

Finding other people that you feel that good about working with is not easy. You don't want to hook up with an eager partner who blows out your knee because he "warned" you that he wasn't going to hold back. On the flip side, you also don't want to mix it up with somebody who is going to whine because you aren't following the "rules" that they are used to. My advice would be to find other schools and talk to the instructor first. If he or she promotes an environment of respect you will increase your chances of finding a higher quality of partner there. Not everybody is willing to face the intimidation that comes with facing off with a new and unfamiliar opponent, but those who are probably want to learn just as much as you do.

If nothing else, at least ask the opinions of other MA-ers you trust and be sure to communicate your expectations very clearly with anyone you choose to work with.

Mk

I knew i should have put that down as an option

Bravemonkey

I hear you, I have a school that i train at. And trust me i or nobody else just jumps in and fights. We screen who we let in. and i dont like hot heads. or idiots.

20 plus years with no serious injuries is my track record and i plan on keeping it that way.

But thanks for the advice. safety with some brains goes along way.

I keep toying with the idea of starting a highschool program just to allways have guys to do basics with, like apps, and two person drills and such.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Rd

That might not be a bad idea....

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    I keep toying with the idea of starting a highschool program just to allways have guys to do basics with, like apps, and two person drills and such.

Teach at a YMCA.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

I would have voted for all of the above.

Just looking at some of the numbers.. Some of you are bigger kung fu junkies than i.

What, you mean that some of you guys actually train, like in real life?

Wow, you're so cool.

Well out of 400 some views. 24 people took the 2 seconds to do the poll.

So there are some people who do train. Just the COOL ones though