Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old School Strongman training for Kung Fu.

The 2013 Chinese Hercules Challenge

Photos: The 2013 Chinese Hercules Challenge

Yesterday the city of Xianyang hosted the 2013 Chinese Hercules Challenge, inviting 22 contestants from all over the world to participate in events like bouldering, heavy rock lifting, and car-pulling. Hilarious photos ensue.

TC Media Intl. produced a strongman contest DVD - Atomic Athletic Great Black Swamp Olde Time Strongman Picnic
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    I think the difference is the old timers had alot more tendon/stabilizer strength and this is the difference Royal Dragon perceives.

Reply]
    What the heck is "Tendon" strength? A Tendon does not make useable strength. It is like a piece of steel rope, it cannot contract, and thearfore it's not capeable of producing strength. All it does is connect the MUSCLE to the bone. The muscle makes all the strength.
    I think that a "steel rope" or chain is a very good description. As you pointed out, it can't produce strength on it's own. But, if we go back to the chain/rope analogy it explains what people are trying to get across.

Your muscles are strong enough that if fully flexed they could rip themselves off of the bone. To prevent this your body has "fuses" so to speak that inhibit maximum contractions. The stronger that your tendons are, the stronger the muscle is allowed to contract without the tripping the body's safety mechanism. Just like the stronger the cable or chain, the more load/weight I can pull or support with the mover of the weight and the weight itself. It doesn't matter how powerful the engine is if the connecting chain/rope isn't strong enough to support the weight being pulled.

So, when people talk about "tendon strength" I always took it to mean how strong the tendon was itself in helping secure the muscles. If I have a stronger connecting tissue, the muscles themselves can work more to their full potentional.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    So, when people talk about "tendon strength" I always took it to mean how strong the tendon was itself in helping secure the muscles. If I have a stronger connecting tissue, the muscles themselves can work more to their full potentional.
    the good news is you are right. tendon strength exists and is important. the bad news is, tendon strength is achieved by weight lifting.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the good news is you are right. tendon strength exists and is important. the bad news is, tendon strength is achieved by weight lifting.
    I dont' think that is bad news at all. I think that even though lifting heavy weights is hard, that it is easy enough to do. You don't have to train in some mystical or magical system and drink lots of different herbs to achieve the results. Just lift heavy and do the hard work and you get results.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

I dont' think that is bad news at all. I think that even though lifting heavy weights is hard, that it is easy enough to do. You don't have to train in some mystical or magical system and drink lots of different herbs to achieve the results. Just lift heavy and do the hard work and you get results.
    tendon strength is gained by doing very light weights for 100-200 reps.
    Last edited by bawang; 10-11-2013 at 08:06 PM.

tendon strength is gained by doing very light weights for 100-200 reps.
    That's one way. Also very heavy lifts will do it as well.

That's one way. Also very heavy lifts will do it as well.
    if u take deca

if u take deca
    Oldtime strongmen did it all the time before they had even invented anabolic steroids. Lifting progressively heavier weights and doing lockouts and partial reps will build tendon strength without drugs.

weight lifting

Cool! I do lots of reps (100- 200X's) w/ smaller weights (20-30 lb. dumbbells.) (Bawang says it's good for tendon build-up).

Question: I notice when I lift while working out, I don't go too heavy. When I am working manual labor though I end up lifting much more heavier stuff w/ no problem for longer periods of time (hauling things around and what not- a "farmer's work-out" so to speak.) Why do you think this is, if I am not up to this challenge in a weight-lifting work-out session but am doing it no problem when working a job?

Quote Originally Posted by MarathonTmatt View Post
    Cool! I do lots of reps (100- 200X's) w/ smaller weights (20-30 lb. dumbbells.) (Bawang says it's good for tendon build-up).

Question: I notice when I lift while working out, I don't go too heavy. When I am working manual labor though I end up lifting much more heavier stuff w/ no problem for longer periods of time (hauling things around and what not- a "farmer's work-out" so to speak.) Why do you think this is, if I am not up to this challenge in a weight-lifting work-out session but am doing it no problem when working a job?
    I would say "adaptive response". Doing the activity itself is the best way to do the activity. Weight lifting will transfer some benefits to an activity, but most lifts do not replicate 100% what your activity actually is.

Even with a bigger, stronger muscle it will only benefit you when you learn "how" to use that extra muscle for the activity by doing that activity. I think this is what leads to the fallacy of "functional strength" vs. "show muscles". Muscle is muscle, but a person may learn to use that muscle by training an activity and putting it to good use. Others ONLY do lifting and that's all they like to do, so their body doesn't have the neural pathways to use the muscle more effectively in the new activity.

thanks, kevin.
    that makes a lot of sense, thank you for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by MarathonTmatt View Post

your manual labor job is your main workout. your 100 rep workout is active recovery aka feeder workout. your body cant take more workouts.

if you take a break from labor your lift will go thru the roof
    Last edited by bawang; 10-14-2013 at 10:47 AM.

this is all making sense. thanks!