Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Obscure Kung Fu Animals

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    chicken and sparrowhawk.
    I've heard of chicken. I hear that WFH-Hung Gar has a lot more animals in it then many know about. I once heard that chicken is in it. I heard there is Black Tiger (from Soo Hak Fu's lineage) in it as well. And since there is Lion's Roar influence, I'd guess there is ape in there. I also heard that the crane's beak is from the Lion's Roar crane, and that Fujian White Crane does not have this hand weapon.

i've heard of the duck

Reply]
    You would be refering to the Nine Way Manderian Duck style!!!

I heard it was somehow related to tai tzu, but never found any proof of that.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt View Post
    Mongoose. It seems to appear only in an old CMA movie and in Shou Shu.
    Funny. Whats the name of the movie?
    Bloodninja: I stomp the ground, and snort, to alert you that you are in my breeding territory.

Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt View Post
    Actually, I came across a video from China of Toad Kung Fu the other day. I think it was posted on here maybe.
    lol ya that was shaolinlueb that posted it in that contemporary thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkf04dnaLvE
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

duck style looks ridiculous. there is a video of it on youtube just do a search for yaquan. as for scorpion my old sifu taught techniques from that style its interesting but was never something that really interested me.

as for the eagle in hung fut it focuses on the wing. similar to crane wings. there are a lot of defelcting and slapping techniques. if you were a hung fut pimp i think a large part of keeping your hoes in line would be with eagle techniques. what differentiates is from crane in hung fut is that the beak is the focus of crane techniques and the wings are the focus of eagle. monkey is ... monkey. i havent seen too many monkey styles that are drastically different. but that could be my limited exposure to it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    I've heard of chicken. I hear that WFH-Hung Gar has a lot more animals in it then many know about. I once heard that chicken is in it. I heard there is Black Tiger (from Soo Hak Fu's lineage) in it as well. And since there is Lion's Roar influence, I'd guess there is ape in there. I also heard that the crane's beak is from the Lion's Roar crane, and that Fujian White Crane does not have this hand weapon.
    okinawan karate has the crane beak. there is also a fist called ox jaw. for some reason chicken is coming to mind also in relation to oma and jma
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Did you mean this one????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-WwrREpI4
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I read somewhere online that once upon a time, there was a crab style.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

yes it was very popular among prostitutes in ancient china to defend against unwanted customers. it is conceptually like pressure point attacks in that the effects aren't felt right away. but the later effects are tremendous and include itching of the crotchal area and disfavor with the spouse and or girlfriend(s).
    Last edited by BruceSteveRoy; 04-13-2007 at 01:51 PM.

So I was a little sloooooow today

That whole Crab Kung Fu + prostitutes post took me a second and then I got a good laugh.

Great for self-defense, but no so much fun to maintain your skills!

I did cover those in my '99 articles.

Duck is actually very traditional. There's been a rebirth of duck at Shaolin Temple, mostly as a sort of cutesy comedy relief form in demonstrations, akin to how monkey is often demonstrated in performances.

Scorpion has also been revitalized by Shaolin performances, but mostly for its spectacular kicks.

Toad, well, I'm not sure. It's another one that's been heavily promoted by Shaolin performance monks in recent years. My inclination is to say that it was created in the movie Shaolin Temple (you all remember the scene, right?) since I've not witnessed a traditional toad form yet. But there's lots that I haven't witnessed. Read on.

Chicken is a common animal in Xingyi.

There's a lot of interest in Dog because it has groundfighting, and we all know how popular that is nowadays.

Crab. Now there's an interesting one. For the longest time, I thought crab was just something out of an old kung fu movie (the title I'm totally blocking on right now, which is a shame because it's a true classic). Anyway, I just came across a traditional demonstration of crab kung fu. It was really odd, not at all showy in a modern wushu way, which made it seem rather genuine. It's made me rethink this one.

I've been told of a Flea style - Mark Saltzman (author of Iron and Silk) told me he witnessed that first hand years ago. Not sure if he was pulling my leg, but we both had a good laugh over it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    okinawan karate has the crane beak. there is also a fist called ox jaw. for some reason chicken is coming to mind also in relation to oma and jma
    Yeah, there are plenty of crane beaks and wings in Okinawan Karate. Okinawan Karate has lots of animals in it. I have not heard of a fist called ox jaw. What's that look like?
    I know that mainland Japanese arts have some animal stylings within them as well. I once heard of spider jujitsu. I have no clue who teaches it or what it's like. But I have heard of it.
    Another batch of arts that have interesting animal styles are Southeast Asian.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Toad, well, I'm not sure. It's another one that's been heavily promoted by Shaolin performance monks in recent years. My inclination is to say that it was created in the movie Shaolin Temple (you all remember the scene, right?) since I've not witnessed a traditional toad form yet. But there's lots that I haven't witnessed. Read on.
    The Toad form didn't seem bad at all. Kindof like a different way to do ground stuff than dog or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkf04dnaLvE

I have not heard of a fist called ox jaw.

If its what I remeber its like a y-strike or a modified cradle blow.

btw, I totally dig the Okinawa systems.

Obscure animal styles

Here is a link to elephant kung fu:

http://www.taichiherb.com/index.php?...elephantkungfu

Here is Kwan tak hings 10 animals:

http://www.martialartsmart.net/b45eb16.html

wait a bit and let me think about if I can remember any more... I am right in the middle of teaching class

Sifu Gino