Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obscure Kung Fu Animals

Obscure Kung Fu Animals

Anyone know any animals that are not so often seen in most Kung Fu styles? I know of some styles that have animals that aren't really seen as much as others. I have also heard brief mention of animals that I have not heard much about anywhere. Like lion kung fu. Anyone know of any obscure animals and how they are played?

Dog, apparently lots of low attacks and ground fighting.

Elephant, dunno much about it but saw it in a documentary about various martial arts. It was said that this was basically a southern style.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

I keep hearing stuff about lamas

'symbol crash'
    Bless you

hung fut has 10 animals, snake, crane, dragon, tiger, leopard, eagle (not eagle claw), horse, monkey, elephant, and lion. horse techs do downward blocking, like you are defending your flanks, elephant are strikes that come from the top down in an arcing manner, as for lion i am not actually sure which part of my forms are lions. i asked once and the only one that was pointed out was butterfly palms which are like a lions jaw. these are just some simple examples.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    Dog, apparently lots of low attacks and ground fighting.
    Fujianese Dog boxing. Rare style from what I gather
    Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    Elephant, dunno much about it but saw it in a documentary about various martial arts. It was said that this was basically a southern style.
    I have heard of elephant Kung Fu as well. I have no idea what style it was, but a very long time ago I saw a guy in a magazine or book (don't remember which) showing a hand/arm position that was labeled "elephant trunk".
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy
    hung fut has 10 animals, snake, crane, dragon, tiger, leopard, eagle (not eagle claw), horse, monkey, elephant, and lion. horse techs do downward blocking, like you are defending your flanks, elephant are strikes that come from the top down in an arcing manner, as for lion i am not actually sure which part of my forms are lions. i asked once and the only one that was pointed out was butterfly palms which are like a lions jaw. these are just some simple examples.
    I've always been fascinated with Hung Fut. Interesting information. What do you know about Hung Fut's eagle and monkey?
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree
    I keep hearing stuff about lamas
    lol!
    That conjured up images of some sort of Sim City cheat involving a different kind of Lama Kung Fu (old school PC gamers may know what I'm talking about).
    Last edited by The Xia; 04-13-2007 at 12:00 PM.

rare: deer, bear, terrapin(turtle) and horse
    Kung Fu is good for you.

been there, done that

Check out my old articles (a two-parter): The Martial Menagerie: Exotic Animal Styles of Kung Fu - part 1 in 1999 October; part 2 in 1999 November.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Mongoose. It seems to appear only in an old CMA movie and in Shou Shu.

i've heard of the duck and scorpion. those must look awesome.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

i saw toad kung fu. i was like wtf, kung fu hustle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by FuXnDajenariht View Post
    i've heard of the duck

As in AFLLLAAAAACCCC. That makes me hungry. I think I will have some roast duck and yang chow fried rice for dinner.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    i saw toad kung fu. i was like wtf, kung fu hustle?
    Actually, I came across a video from China of Toad Kung Fu the other day. I think it was posted on here maybe.

chicken and sparrowhawk.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Blog Entries
    Choy Lay Fut has the 5 shaolin animals forms:

Tiger, Leopard, Snake, Crane and Dragon

And supposedly:

Lion, Horse, Monkey, Deer and Elephant

don't forget Fetus style (it's real).
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.