Thread: What would you do if you are their friends?

What would you do if you are their friends?

Didn't look like that poor fellow had any friends to me. With an ARMED crowd that large coming after him, he's lucky to be alive. In that situation, whether I was the guy, or one of his friends, I'd have started attacking people aggressivly. Make them afraid to come close to you. I think the fellow did the best he could under the circumstances, but should not have allowed himself to be cornered like that.

Anyone else notice the cop with the Butterfly Swords?!?

Wow, I'd like to see the BJJ nutriders deal with that useing BJJ!!

Did I see a few guys with Butteryfly swords? It looked liek one guy got hacked in the upper back by a sword!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    Maybe we should learn kungfu like these:

They have already violated 2 basic principles in MA and fighting:

1. They were not calm, they were jumping & yelling around. Jumping is not wrong but......They were also hitting without focus.

2. The violation of relaxation (sung) . A trained MAist will relax & fight with techniques & not using raw brute force.

I am ready to be flamed for my 1 ct opinion

flame on

Quote Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
    They have already violated 2 basic principles in MA and fighting:

1. They were not calm, they were jumping & yelling around. Jumping is not wrong but......They were also hitting without focus.

2. The violation of relaxation (sung) . A trained MAist will relax & fight with techniques & not using raw brute force.

I am ready to be flamed for my 1 ct opinion
    there is absolutely nothing wrong with using brute force. Theoretically, you should be albe to blend harmoniously with your opponents energy, etc. but realistically this is rarely the case. Judo is the perfect example of this. Theoretically, it is the gentle art - the art of putting someone on their back with little or no force, just leverage and timing. Realistically (look at judo tournies, or grappling in real fights) and you will see PLENTY of brute force. Why? because in the real world that is resisting opponents, force is a necessity more often than not.

I would also say that jumping around is wrong - losing contact with the ground makes you that much easier to knock down.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    bjj or tcma, the result woulda been the same - a beating.

That video brought back memories - seriously. That reminds me of my jr high school. The whole last week of school, they kept cops posted and an ambulance in front of the school because crap like this happened. We ALL kept weapons in our lockers, because we knew something was going to happen. I had brass knucks and a push knife. A friend of mine had a stick with nails through it. I was approached and swung at by random guys, luckily all unarmed. I saw a guy get hit in the head by a big ass chain with a padlock at the end of it. It was wild. Admittedly though, most people didn't just walk around with weapons drawn like these kids are doing. my knucks were in my pocket. my friend's stick was kept in his locker. the guy with the chain...I dunno where the hell he hid that thing. He was the only one blatantly walking around with something. lots of fighting and chaos.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post

Did I see a few guys with Butteryfly swords? It looked liek one guy got hacked in the upper back by a sword!

another thing is BJJ is NOT only fighting on the ground. For sport maybe, but the martial art no. There are skills like coming to a base from the ground to get back on your feet quickly. Every once in a while my instructor teaches us skills to extract ourselves from a fight. Just because you know what sport jiu jitsu is about doesn't mean that's all they train for.

Helio included punching and kicking in his training.
    Bless you

Only ninjutsu would work in this case.
    Why?
    He would take out a sword and start chopping people's head off.
    And throwing all manner of Shuriken at them.
    IED all over the place.
    And of course, he could just disappear...Kobudera, Ninja Magic !!

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    there is absolutely nothing wrong with using brute force. Theoretically, you should be albe to blend harmoniously with your opponents energy, etc. but realistically this is rarely the case. Judo is the perfect example of this. Theoretically, it is the gentle art - the art of putting someone on their back with little or no force, just leverage and timing. Realistically (look at judo tournies, or grappling in real fights) and you will see PLENTY of brute force. Why? because in the real world that is resisting opponents, force is a necessity more often than not.

I would also say that jumping around is wrong - losing contact with the ground makes you that much easier to knock down.
    like u say, ideally we shd blend in opponent's force, but it is rarely the case? why?

Even with resisting opponents, minimal or no brute force is still possible, I have tried experimenting using this principle in BJJ or sparring against bigger & heavier opponents with some success after constant reminders frm my bjj sensei & my sisuk. Of cos, easy to say but application is difficult...as i was alway told, "DON'T WORRY, just keep training, it will happen NATURALLY".

I was once whacked by a 70+ old CMA small looking frail master when I was much bigger & stronger & half his age. His speed, leverage,timimg & accuracy just completely outmaneoovre & humbled me.

In those tournies u mentioned, I believe brute force shows cos' both were equally matched, thus it happens tat way.

Quote Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
    In those tournies u mentioned, I believe brute force shows cos' both were equally matched, thus it happens tat way.
    Not necessarily. even being unevenly matched, it can be hard to offbalance a bigger guy of lesser skill. size matters more than many MA like to admit. it matters less as your skill levels separate, but it still matters.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Not necessarily. even being unevenly matched, it can be hard to offbalance a bigger guy of lesser skill. size matters more than many MA like to admit. it matters less as your skill levels separate, but it still matters.
    Indeed, I have always said size matters, how much it matters depends on the training.
    If you train with big people, you learn how to beat big people, problem is some think that 20lbs more is big, no.
    I am talking 50 or 100lbs more in some cases.

Ok in this aspect... size do play a part here, but when I say size matters, to me, I was thinking abt at least 20kg or 30 kg above. Normally ppl with some training above tat category can still have an unfair advantage over me. I am still trying to achieve the ultimatum of wu-wei in MA.. Give me time, please.
    Last edited by Beginner; 06-21-2007 at 06:26 AM.