Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you do?

SamuraiJack makes some good points. Perhaps it's only a semantics game, but there is a difference between asking "what would you do" and "what can you learn" from these clips. SJ seems to have answered the later of the two. There is always something to be learned from other peoples mistakes, but that doesn't necessarily give us leave to assert how we would have handled the situation the "right" way.

Again, we just don't have enough information to know what would have made the situations better or worse with any really confidence in this Youtube video, but it is still valuable to look for common mistakes made or tactics employed by the people depicted in the clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    Everyone knows that, but few choose to learn how to do it. It's not as simple as walk away when you are faced with being "attacked by an animal".

Anyway, these weren't videos of random street fights, these were exhibitions where fighter A and fighter B squared off, surrounded by friends. It was treated like an exhibition by them, and everyone involved... therefore it was not "self-defense".

Now, to get back to the topic of "What would you do?"

If I am faced with a flailing, aggressive, and unpredictable attack such as what was depicted, I would try and control thier balance first and foremost. most of those people were trying *so* hard to hit thier opponent with power, that they were throwing themselves at thier target. You notice that when someone misses in that situation, most of the time they fall down.

So using that characteristic to your advantage, by getting behind and / or to the side of the attacker, thus neutralizing his ability to generate the power he is throwing at you, locking onto an elbow, shoulder, or neck, and using that power to toss him on his head... that's what I like to do. It's also a great opportunity to hit him, but I seldom see that actually ending a fight cleanly. If we were alone, I'd pin him and have a chat about what was going to happen when I let him back up. If we were surrounded by enemies, I'd do the same to the next guy until an opening to "beat feet" came.

Now bear in mind, I restrain people like this for a living. It may not be what a person with a boxing or MMA background would do, although I have experience in those things as well.
    when I am at work, I cannot strike, only throw and restrain. I have success with large circle grappling holds - chokes, full nelson, chicken wing... foot throws and the double leg have worked for me as well.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Somewhat unrelated

I think judo is great for cops. BJJ and the guard position often put an officer's gun in a position that is accessable to the suspect. Judo (or wrestling) with emphasis on throws/takedowns and pins are great for law enforcement.
    Bless you

agreed....
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I think judo is great for cops. BJJ and the guard position often put an officer's gun in a position that is accessable to the suspect. Judo (or wrestling) with emphasis on throws/takedowns and pins are great for law enforcement
    100% agree.

Judo has been a cops best friend for a long time. Only now do you see some odd hybrid systems come poping up when judo has been around the block and back.

The judo the cops used to know back in the day was not the watered down stuff either, atemi waza was the order of the day as well as throws and handling skills.

Thumbs up

ammocase - I hear ya. And I agree, peeps around these parts are way too analytical on 'why'. Keep doing what you're doing and if you practise MAs, good for you. Even from small clips, you can begin to discern common elements of how an untrained person fights- a worth while endeavour.

nospam

And they all ignore the horribly obvious Kick to the groin!!! :P
    Mark

You guys do too much analyzing. You can never know when you might have to fight, and from day to day that same incident might take place differently. This is why we train. So that we can take advantage of any oppertunity. One time I was driving to work in Dallas, and I was in heavy traffic. I have no idea why, but suddenly I became the object of a car load of interest. The guys in another car were mad at me for something. I was in front of them, maybe not moving as fast as they wanted to go, but I was stuck in traffic too. Anyway, a rather large and mad individual suddenly jerked my car door open and went to wailing on me. He hit me in my face once, and tried to hit me again with the same arm. I manage to deflect his right fist across my body and he sort of came in with it. I pulled him in and down, and completely without any thought of what to do, I reached around his neck with my right arm and locked my grip with my left hand. His right arm was trapped across my body and he could not retract it. His left arm was blocked by the steering wheel. I had my right forearm locked around his neck and under his chin, I just turned slightly to my left and leaned way back, which pulled his head down to where he was kissing his own chest. It only took about a minute before he passed out. I made sure he was out and just shoved him off me. When I got out of the car the other guys had gotten back into their car. The big fellow just laid there. I got in and drove on to work, fully expecting the police to come see me at work. But, that never happened. I should have laid him out into the traffic. My face swole up and my eye would not open next day. Black as a spade. But I bet even though he had no black eyes, his throat was sore and he had a terrible cough. Point is that you never know. But then again, you may go the rest of your life without ever having a bad word for anyone. The idea hear is to stay away from places where you might find confrontation. Don't put yourself in danger. And practice your footwork. Haul Arse if you can.

Jack

By the way. This is a real cool forum. Don't understand most of what I have read, but it is definately interesting.

Jack

Good to see you again Lee, your war stories are entertaining as always. I think you rather make my point, though. What you describe is a real self-defense encounter. You don't strike me as the sort of dude who would challenge someone to "step outside" so you could show-off to a bunch of your friends. Your stories always show the simple truth; getting in a street fight hurts. Only a fool or a psychopath does it for fun.

That was my nephew. But thanks. Yes, fighting always strikes fear into my heart. I have been hurt really bad at times, but my training earlier in my life has really saved my life a few times.
    I think it also comes down to a frame of mind. A person that is not ready to inflict grave injury upon someone will himself become the victim. I have been training my nephew in the ways of self defense, and the very first moves I have been teaching him is that of fleeing in the face of danger. They can't whip you if they can't catch you. Running and making a lot of racket has broken up a many a fight.