Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: At least 32 Dead at Virginia Tech

At least 32 Dead at Virginia Tech

Reuters

Print this article Close This Window
    At least 32 dead in Virginia shooting rampage
    Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:38 PM ET

By Brendan Bush

BLACKSBURG, Virginia (Reuters) - At least 32 people were killed and more than two dozen wounded at Virginia Tech university on Monday in the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history, media said.

Fox News, CNN and the student-run university newspaper gave the death toll as 32. Officials earlier said at least 22 people were killed.

The rampage by what police believed was a lone gunman took place in two separate areas, first at a dormitory as students had begun criss-crossing the sprawling campus for morning classes, and then about two hours later at an engineering and science hall a half-mile away.

The attacks sparked panic and chaos.

Witnesses told CNN that some students were hurt jumping out the windows of the classroom building to escape the gunfire.

"This is a tragedy of monumental proportions," Virginia Tech president Charles Steger told reporters.

Virginia Tech campus police chief Wendell Finchum said the suspected gunman was dead and that police were trying to determine whether he killed himself or was shot by officers.

"At this time we believe it's only one gunman," said Finchum. Officials did not have a motive for the attack and did not immediately know if the gunman was a student.

Students told CNN there were multiple bomb threats to the campus in the last few weeks. Two of the threats were aimed at the university's science and engineering school.

A U.S. Department of Homeland Security spokesman said there was no indication of terrorism but that it would be part of the investigation.

President George W. Bush was "horrified" by the shooting, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said.

"He was horrified and his immediate reaction was one of deep concern for the families of the victims, the victims themselves, the students, the professors and all of the people of Virginia who have dealt with this shocking incident," she said.

A student journalist's video of the chaos was replayed repeatedly on U.S. television networks, showing people scurrying around the campus and volleys of shots ringing out.

The death toll was worse than a massacre at the University of Texas in Austin on August 1, 1966, when Charles Whitman, a 25-year-old student, killed 13 people and wounded 31 in a 90-minute spree. Whitman had killed his mother and wife the night before.

TWO HOURS BETWEEN ATTACKS

The first shooting at Virginia Tech, a state university, was reported to campus police at about 7:15 a.m. (1115 GMT) in West Ambler Johnston Hall, a dormitory housing some 900 students.

It was followed by more shooting at Norris Hall, site of the science and engineering school that has given the university much of its fame as a leading technical institute in the United States.

During the two hours after the first shooting some students had ventured out again. University police were investigating the first shooting at the dormitory when they got word of gunfire at the classroom building.

Student Justin Merrifield told Reuters he was outside West Ambler dormitory at 9 a.m. when he saw police and a crying student but did not realize the magnitude of the crisis until he arrived at his 10 a.m. class.

Merrifield said students were alerted by campus loudspeakers.

"There was a voice that just kept repeating, 'Gunman on campus, stay indoors, get away from windows,' over and over, basically," said Merrifield.

One student criticized how university officials reacted after the first shooting.

"I'm pretty outraged that someone died in a shooting in a dorm at 7 O'clock in the morning and the first e-mail about it had no mention of locking down the campus, no mention of canceling classes," Jason Piatt told CNN.

"They just mentioned that they were investigating a shooting," he said.

"That's pretty ridiculous. Meanwhile, while they sent out that e-mail, 21 people got killed."

The shooting was bound to revive debate in the United States about gun violence.

"We live in a society where guns are pretty well accepted," said Jim Sollo, of Virginians Against Handgun Violence. "There are 200 million guns in this society and obviously some in the wrong hands."

Virginia Tech, with 26,000 students, is located in the town of Blacksburg and set in lush rolling hills in the southwest corner of the state, about 240 miles from Washington.

Classes were canceled for Monday and Tuesday and counselors were being brought in to talk to the students.

U.S. News & World Report, which produces well-regarded annual ratings of U.S. universities, ranked Virginia Tech's College of Engineering 17th for an engineering school in the United States.

FACTBOX-Shootings at U.S. schools

FACTBOX-School shootings around the world

Debate over U.S. gun violence

(Additional reporting by Peter Szekely, John O'Callaghan, Sandra Maler, David Storey and David Wiessler)

© Reuters 2007. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.
    Close This Window

I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Yeah, this is horrible. I watched it unfold on Fox.

Worst case of mass shooting in U.S. history. I wonder what backstory this nut will have.

Whatever ... meantime over 40,000 people a year die in car wrecks in the U.S. and something like 2 million around the world. That's over 100 a day in the U.S. and over 5000 a day around the world.

This isn't really newsworthy.

I take it from the article, the nut job is still out there?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I take it from the article, the nut job is still out there?
    ??? No, he killed himself.

The thing that doesn't make sense is some killer kills somebody and it makes huge headlines. Meantime cars are killing a ton of people, and it makes NO headlines.

Cars have been worse killers than terror attacks and all the world wars combined, yet nobody makes a big deal about it.
    Last edited by neilhytholt; 04-16-2007 at 02:01 PM.

Cars aren't the problem you dun% @ss. It's the living. All crimes are caused by the living, so lets regulate and outlaw the living.

-- I have just perfected neillyholts perfect f@cked up philosophy -

Your welcome.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Neil,

Your a giant f@cking idiot. The best part about you dribbled down the side of your mothers leg.

We don't know if he killed himself, nothing has been released yet, I heard on the news he was shot but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    Neil,

Your a giant f@cking idiot. The best part about you dribbled down the side of your mothers leg.

We don't know if he killed himself, nothing has been released yet, I heard on the news he was shot but who knows.
    Not only are you a numbskull but you can't even go to cnn.com:

http://www.cnn.com

"A lone gunman is dead after killing 32 people at two sites at Virginia Tech, the university's president confirmed Monday. He called the massacre an "incomprehensible, heinous act." Virginia Rep. Randy Forbes said he understands the shooter was a student and that he turned the gun on himself."

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    that sucks. it will be interesting to see what the motive was.

neil, you are correct about the car vs. gun debate, just gave a friend of mine the charts from the CDC website because she didn't believe me.

not really apples and oranges though.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    Cars aren't the problem you dun% @ss. It's the living. All crimes are caused by the living, so lets regulate and outlaw the living.

-- I have just perfected neillyholts perfect f@cked up philosophy -

Your welcome.
    Seriously, the population doubles every 50 years, so if if 99% of the population died tomorrow it would still recover in a couple of thousand years.

28 people dying ain't nothing. It's not going to solve the problem of the destroyed ecosystem which will kill a lot more.

Humans are like lemmings.

This the same cnn that reported 22 dead when the tally was really 32...

28 people dying ain't nothing. It's not going to solve the problem of the destroyed ecosystem which will kill a lot more
    Such a waste of Oxygen you are using up.

Bottom line is it's stupid to worry about something like this when so many other people die in other ways ...

And when soon the entire race will probably be extinct due to its stupidity.

Everybody will freak out over this, and then they'll just try to use this as an excuse to get rid of our gun rights like they always do.

the suspected gunman was dead and that police were trying to determine whether he killed himself or was shot by officers
    somehow I missed that the first 5 times I read it ????
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt View Post
    Whatever ... meantime over 40,000 people a year die in car wrecks in the U.S. and something like 2 million around the world. That's over 100 a day in the U.S. and over 5000 a day around the world.

Not newsworthy? Maybe I'm just upset because I'm a college kid in Virginia who knew A LOT of people who went to V. Tech. but how is this not news worthy? These were young people in school. We would like to hope that our schools are safe. Yes, many people die everyday, but when blood is spilled on our own soil, on such a massive scale, and it's young people? Yeah, it's worthy of news.

My heart goes out to the young children the world over who die each day from poor nutrition and disease, but this too is important.

Oh, and car wrecks?

We know there is a chance of danger while riding a car. It's reasonable. We should be safe in schools. And whether or not you think we are, it should be that way. Not so with something like a car crash. How can you even compare the two?