Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toi San Hak Fu Pai?

I just noticed Sifu has an article on the subject of the real black tiger style on the Shaolin West website. I think that will clear up any issues you may still have!
    A unique snowflake

Thumbs up Not really...

Doesn't exactly give me what I was looking for, but I get the point of the article.

Although the article says that Fu Jow Pai and Hak Fu Pai are not related, the two both having almost exact techniques and salutations, plus coming from the same district leads one to think otherwise. They don't move like eachother, but that could just be the way they were played over the yrs....

Thnks anyway!

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    Doesn't exactly give me what I was looking for, but I get the point of the article.

Although the article says that Fu Jow Pai and Hak Fu Pai are not related, the two both having almost exact techniques and salutations, plus coming from the same district leads one to think otherwise. They don't move like eachother, but that could just be the way they were played over the yrs....

Thnks anyway!

jeff
    Not many people play their kungfu the same even when in the same style or school. when i went to that school, nobody had the same expression of the same set. the pattern was the same, but the expressions were all different. some guys more tense, some guys more loose, some guys contracting where other guys relax and so on. No one played any of the sets the same and even the salutes and openings variated except for sequence and pattern.

The same is true I find of virtually all styles when I watch their players. Even looking at Hung Gar players in teh same family and the play is the same.

Actual fighting ability is again another thing entirely. lol. And of course everyone is at a different place there...depending on what day it is.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Not many people play their kungfu the same even when in the same style or school. when i went to that school, nobody had the same expression of the same set. the pattern was the same, but the expressions were all different. some guys more tense, some guys more loose, some guys contracting where other guys relax and so on. No one played any of the sets the same and even the salutes and openings variated except for sequence and pattern.

The same is true I find of virtually all styles when I watch their players. Even looking at Hung Gar players in teh same family and the play is the same.

Actual fighting ability is again another thing entirely. lol. And of course everyone is at a different place there...depending on what day it is.

I agree, but what I meant about the two being played different was....

That Fu Jow Pai is played very slowly, but kinda like a slow karate kata. Atleast, that's the only way I've ever seen it played. So while I agree that each player will bring something different to the form, the way Hak Fu Pai and Fu Jow Pai are played from the vids I've seen are totally different. The Hak Fu Pai vids seem to be much smoother flowing, but then again this is based on just my opinion.

But then again, the vids I've seen of both, seem to be very linear also... Not saying this is good,bad or indifferent, just somethings that i've noticed.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)