Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate running...

full range of motion squats are great! Make sure to do static stretches AFTER you workout. Do you train with weights?
    Bless you

just starting to about 6 months ago, though I've been collecting weigh equipmet for about a year. So far I have collected 5, 10,15, and 20 lb dumbells and a weight bar with 2, 4, 8, and 10 lb plates. I'm going to get another set of plates this next pay day, but I think I'm good on the dumbells right now. I don't have a forma bench, though. I have discovered that if I lay my sholders on a kichen chair with my feet on the floor and press my hips up, I can also get a great static hold for my hips, back and abs. Aslo seems to help isolate my sholders when pressing.

I do full range squats, wood choppers to right and left, forward lunges, side lunges, and back lunges in sets of 10 reps each, 3 sets a session with 1 1/2 break between sets. 1 set is all of theses exersizes don't quickly but not rushing. I do this every wednesday, with the workout in the link being done on mondays. Right now I do the first 2 sets with the 5 lb dumbells and the third rep with 15s. If I stay on track, I will be up to all 3 sets with 15s by the end of the month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Poor Danzig

Basically just MTV video of "Dirty Black Summer" with some pop-up comments that are funny as hell.
    you know ... as i said im really glad glen got what he asked for ... the other dude had just said "i understand that" and was in the middle of saying "we drove 3 hours up here" when glen pushed him .... there was no call for that. but that said i dont think getting knocked out by a guy that size make you a ***** either. **** happens and that day it just happened upon someone who was beggin for it.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    shin splints are strains of the tibialis muscles on the front of your shins. Do stretches and reverse toe raises with weight-like backwards calf raises. You can do this sitting backwards on the leg curl machine if your gym doesn't have a separate machine for this.
    Cool. I'll try some of that in moderation. I'm trying to visualize the backwards calf-raises, but I'll incorporate it into my ankle-strength training too.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Maybe I should change the thread name to "everything under the sun"...

Didn't run Sunday, and oly a half a mile this morning. It was a combination of over sleeping by about 15 minutes due to Claratin-head and hand feeding the 4 or 5 week old kitten my kids found while walking the dogs Saturday. I am allergic to cats, but I am not enough of a moster to tell my grinning 5-year-old I didn't want the Mother's Day present he "got" for me... Which his 11 year-old brother knew full well when I told him last year he couldn't have a cat. This one wasn't even weened but was wild.

So I over slept and only had time for a quick, fast run this morning. On a side note, I did get the kitten eating solid food, fence in the back yard is closer to being finished and fixed the lawn mower. The lawn is probably too over grown for it and I'll probably need to go over it with the weed wacker first, though. (maybe I should ask my ex if I can borrow the minature horses of a week end. )
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Started out for my run on time this morning. (cat woke my son up so he fed her). I am finding that maybe I don't totally hate running. I enjoyed this morning's run. Still don't like the nagging ache in my hip, ankle and lower back, but I must confess it isn't the running but the after effects to my battered body. I'm not loosing any weight and I don't think I'm loosing fat and gaining muscle, but I do seem to be becoming more streamlined? Almost like my body is re-arranging to allow for my new early moring exersize. All I've done in the morning for years is yoga or tai chi.

It was drizzling just a bit and the dogs were content to just pace me rather than trying to dodge left and right after something small and furry. I have to wonder if having a cat in the house has made smelling cats outside not quite so fun. I think maybe the neiborhood peac0cks like the rain too, as they were being very vocal. Almost made up for the fact I didn't have my music this morning.
    Last edited by Becca; 05-15-2007 at 06:48 AM.

Think I pushed Sissy too far today. We were 3/4 of the way back when she just wouldn't run any more. On the front door step, she up-chucked. I guess I always figured that as a dog, she could out run me, the non-running fool... Maybe she's just not feeling good. I'll have to keep an eye on her, then take her to the vet is she doesn't seem to be getting better.

could have started a new thread, but...

ok folks,

I could have started a new thread, but it seems pointless when this one is good enough. I hate running too...What good does running do that i cant get with other exerceses. For example, i can target the same muscles with isolation exerciese, and i can expand my lung capacity with pranayama, does the heart need that much exercise? Horse stance can get my heart going. What can running do that i really need? What is the physiological mechanism there that other exercises cannot do?

B Red

What is the physiological mechanism there that other exercises cannot do?
    I can't get my dogs to sit on the rowing machine. And I can't get my butt on it without some motivation. Running with my dogs to keep them and me healthy, motivated, and content is the mechanism. And posting a blog on this site is like a very public diary where all these very helpful people will keep me on track by either ridding my @ss for slacking or tipping me to better meathods..

I could have started a new thread, but it seems pointless when this one is good enough.
    You are more than welcome to share this blog! Welcome.

Interesting......

I only ran for a mile this morning so Sissy wouldn't get stressed out. Well, I don't want to back-slide on my conditioning, so after my cool down, I desided to add one set of my Wednesday workout but using only 5 lbd dumbells. I got the most incredible stretch through my quads, hip flexors, and hammies! After the first rep of the lunges, which is the first exersize in the set, I slowed everything down and consentrated more on stretching than on getting a good burn. Ought to be interesting on how I feel latter today and tomorrow morning. I have no idea how its going to impact my legs since I did this exact workout yesterday. (regularly 3 sets, first 2 with 10s, last with 15s)

Quote Originally Posted by bredmond812 View Post
    ok folks,

I could have started a new thread, but it seems pointless when this one is good enough. I hate running too...What good does running do that i cant get with other exerceses. For example, i can target the same muscles with isolation exerciese, and i can expand my lung capacity with pranayama, does the heart need that much exercise? Horse stance can get my heart going. What can running do that i really need? What is the physiological mechanism there that other exercises cannot do?

B Red

It depends on what type of running (sprints, distance, etc)

Running isn't usually about targeting muscles, but rather energy systems. Intervals of sprints and jogging will speed up your aerobic and anaerobic recoveries.

Is there a reaplacement to running? There are other cardio activities, but they are not exactly the same.

That being said I hate running. I ride my bike more than run. I wish I could tell you I wake up early every morning and do road work, but, not gonna happen.
    Bless you

Oh, holy cow! Sore, sore, sore, sore, sore.... No running today. I walked the dogs so they could have thier morning potty break outside of the yard, but then did sun salutations 1-3 till my lower body started to loosen up. This took well over a half an hour so no lifting, either. I'll do my upper body workout this evening.

Not convinced it wasn't a good idea, though. I got a very effective stretch out of it yesterday. I'm wondering if I hurt because a) it was the first time and b) it was "the morning after". A full 3 sets with weights needs at least 48 hours rest before working that muscle group the same way. I didn't work it nearly as hard, but I did work it only 24 hours later.

I know that if I can get myself to work though it, my body will adapt. My first sifu was well know for always harping that the best way to work out the-day-after pain was to do a lighter version of what made you hurt in the first place. I didn't hurt yesterday morning because my body was used to doing the lowerbody rutine every wednesday. It hurts today because I worked the same muscle group, iterfering with the healing process.

What I think I will do is work up a differend "with weights" rutine for after runs; one that will work my whole body but not too much. Maybe 3 short forms of the tiger teamed up with sun salutations, perhaps. the forms would lend themselves to weights well, the the yoga to cool off while still taking advantage of the very warm muscles to work my stretch....

Sounds like a good plan. I'll work on it over the next week or two.

Well, I am gaining muscle, I guess. I weigh myself on the freight scale on payday every other week when I go to get the veeder root tape (fuel readings). Last pay day I was holding steady @ 190 lbs. Today I was @ 197! My cloths are feeling a bit looser and I gained 7 lbs, so I must be gaining muscle. I've been holding steady for several months, never gaining or loosing more than 2-3 lbs in a 2 week period. I also started running daily just in the last few weeks, so there has to be some corrilation. The only change I've made to my diet is eating yogurt for my first breakfast rather than oats. yep, gotta be the running...

I have a german shepard/chow puppy.

I used to run but I dont anymore because it is bad for your knees.

Ah-ha! I have it! I have not gone swimming in forever as going to the pool with my kids allows absolutly no time for actual swimming. which is why I've started running. I hate running. I think I will check out my local rec center's free swimming period and see if it is open to co-inside with either going to work or comming home from work.

I'll still need to run my dogs 3-4 times a week. But if one dog is hurt of not feeling well, I won't feel guilty about missing my run for the dog's sake. Pluss, I enjoy swimming much more than running.