Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginning Hung Gar at over 40?

I'm 52, soon to turn 53. I've been back at steady training now for about 5 years after a long hiatus. My sifu, Tony Brown, is 57. He just came back from Taiwan where he and his Norwegian team competed in the 10th World Cup Kuoshu Tournament. Sifu Brown came out of retirement there and fought in the full contact Lei Tai matches. Despite waking up sick that morning, he won a silver medal for his Norwegian team. I don't think they had him only fighting other 50 somethings...... Oh, and on top of that, he only has one arm. http://www.tromso.hungkuen.no/taiwan7.html

Granted, Sifu Brown has been teaching, training, and learning for a long time. He is very good at what he does. I would never consider going up against someone half my age in a full contact match, but he is just demonstrating that age is not necessarily an absolute, just like he has long demonstarted that having a "disability" is not an absolute. I have learned the hard way on how to adjust my training for my age... I herniated a disc almost 2 years ago training like I use to do in my early 20's. I don't look, or move, like I'm 20 years old, but I sure look a hell of a lot better than a lot of other 50 somethings who have difficulty picking something up off the floor.... and a lot of 40 somethings, come to think about it.

50 and above is not a barrier so I don't see that 40 something is anything to sweat. It is all in intent.
    Last edited by todi; 05-03-2007 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by todi View Post
    Sifu Brown came out of retirement there and fought in the full contact Lei Tai matches. Despite waking up sick that morning, he won a silver medal for his Norwegian team. I don't think they had him only fighting other 50 somethings...... Oh, and on top of that, he only has one arm. http://www.tromso.hungkuen.no/taiwan7.html
    Freaking awesome. Much props.

For me the forties were a good time to pour it on. Forty starts a new eight year cycle in male developement and is a good time to establish the habits that will carry you on through a good portion of the rest of your life. I turned double nickles on the twenty third of April and still feel forty or younger. I'm partial to Hung Gar so 'nough said about that.

CLF at over 50

I restarted taking CLF when I was 51 exactly 2 years ago with my son who was 10 and also taking CLF. I had taken CLF about 30 years ago for about 3 years when I was in my late teens to early 20s. Because of college, work and later marriage and a family, I did not make time to take CLF. It was not too drastic of a transition because during the 30 years off, sometimes I continued practicing basic punches, kicks and blocks. I did not practice my sets and I forgot them during the 30 years. Unlike before when I use to get bruised conditioning or sparring, luckily we don’t do any now. By not getting bruised, this is less wear and tear on my old body. I now take CLF primarily for health and some self -defense reasons. For an old guy, I can still do all the moves on the Sup Ji Kau Da set. This is a testimony that an old guy can still start kung fu at over 40 or even 50.

Hung Gar after 40

My brother started Hung Gar well into his 30's and did very well. He also had a weight problem. He trained in NYC under a very good Hung Gar Sifu, I can't recall his name at the moment. Good luck.

Middle age CLF

I'm planning to get back with my Sifu M. Chau in the City myself. I had a serious auto accident 5 years ago that left me with a limp and deconditioned, plus I'm 42 now. I really missed the arts.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I'm gona hit the big 5-0 this July. Right now, one of my teachers-Sifu Chao, is in his seventies. The guy had me doing tornado kicks in the park this last Sunday,as well as my form-much to my chagrin.
    I said to myself-"I'm gettin too old fer this sh1t!"
    then I look at Sifu Chao, and Sifu Lai-both into their seventies,still playing,still throwing each other, then getting up and laughing like children. Sifu Lai does puch hands with everyone,we're all sweating, and eventually we tire out. He simply laughs and goes up to the next guy.
    These guys have that sparkle in their eyes-you know that look-as if there's a young guy looking out from inside an old guy mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtal View Post
    So did you try it out yet? I am 38 and I was thinking of Yee's also, but like you, I feel the same about age and what style to pick, etc....
    Getting ready to leave the office now to observe a class.

Quote Originally Posted by wu-ji View Post
    And about fighting:

1) Bravery first
    2) Strength second
    3) Skills last

A translation from a Chinese martial proverb.

Fighting is about what is in your heart (or intention) ... and whether your body can sustain to follow it by having the appropriate strength and reflexes.

Without heart, nothing moves.

That's why gun is called the men's equalizer: You have the intention and the gun follows, bypassing your body limitations.
    I think this is a response you meant for some other thread perhaps?

Hello Nebuchadnezzar. It's been a few days. Just wondering how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by SunBeam View Post
    Hello Nebuchadnezzar. It's been a few days. Just wondering how it went.
    I'm planning on attending classes at the Williamsburg school. Wanted to start this week but, my mother was admitted to the hospital for the second time in three weeks, so I've been going there after work.

Next week, I have to go on a business trip so it will have to wait until that weekend.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope everything works out ok. Keep us posted.

Hope your Mom gets well soon.

Let us know how your first class goes.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope everything works out ok. Keep us posted.
    Thanks. At least she isn't as bad as the last time as she was responding. This was a relapse. Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by banditshaw View Post
    Hope your Mom gets well soon.

Let us know how your first class goes.
    Thanks. I'm itching to start even though I know I'm going to be hurting for a least a week after.