Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginning Hung Gar at over 40?

Beginning Hung Gar at over 40?

Greetings all,

I'm looking at possibly taking Hung Gar here in NY City at Yee's Hung Gar. My goal is to teach martial arts after I retire and at my age, I don't think I'll have enough of the martial aspect in Tai Chi 16 years from now.

I'm of course looking to get back into shape after too much weight gain and sedentary life. Would any of you recommend Hung Gar in my case?

How long does it take typically for someone to begin to use it for self-defense and with competence if that person puts in a reasonable amount of days of class time (of course have to practice when not in class)?

I want to retire at an age where I can enjoy it and still be able to teach.

Some aspects of it may be hard, realize you may not heal as fast as some of the 18-21 guys in there, and there tends to be a lot of force on force type stuff in the beginning as with most newbies in most arts. That being said, you will get in shape quick, bring up the yang fire a bit and have some amazing power and solid hits well within the first year.
    -Golden Arms-

Hung Gar after 40

First look at your goals. Are they realistic?

Can you learn Hung Gar after 40.... yes. Can you effectively defend your self after 40.... yes. Can you move like 20 year old... probably not. Realisticly you can do most anything within the limits of your body.

One thing that you might not get the hang of is hard core fighting. After 40 the body tends to break before it adapts. If you want to teach hard core fighting, this might pose a small problem.

We here fight to the ground, choke each other out, do full contact San Shou etc, etc. I am almost 45 and I still fight hard core, but my body wants to fall apart. I teach all the aspects of Hung Gar but I started a long time ago.

Other than that you can learn and teach most of whatever you want

Sifu Gino

go for it.

and yeah, you won't heal as fast if you get into the hard banging too often, but it teaches you a lot about yourself and therefor is worth the sacrifice.

you could take up any martial art you wanted, although I would say stick with the practical applied stuff and don't get too into the flowery stuff because ...well, just because.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

go for it.

after 40 kung fu is usually looked at for a health aspect. if you were never really a fighter in life, it will be harder to learn then the 18-20 year old guys. remember you aren't as crazy as you were in your youth, and you do see fear of getting hurt more. flexibility will be an issue also. i say go for it. learn an art, the yee people are good. you will develop all these aspects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Hmm I followed a similar path, so let me share some of my experiences.

In my youth I was a fanatic MA. Have been practicing a range of arts, but as many times happens somewhere in my twenties other stuff became important and the arts faded away (and got fed up with the fraud there was in the arts back then). For 20 odd years I have not been practicing or doing any other sports. Just sitting behind my computer finishing projects for my clients.

I ended up weighing close to 100kg and decided that was enough about 2,5 years ago at the age of 34 (ok, not 40, but still). I have been practicing daily since then. I also picked up iron palm (practicing ~ 5 times a week) and can now without much effort (this must be the chi ) knifehand through a red housing brick. IOW: even at "our age" your body can still adapt.

Last year October I participated in a fairly large tournament in Germany performing Gung Gee Fook Fu Kuen, Hungs' base form. My sigung put me in the experienced class due to my previous experience ("You will be stealing a price otherwise.") which started at 18 years and up (and most participants were not much older!). About 25 entered in this class, and around 20 were simply good as well. Nonetheless I ended up 5th place, so that was pleasing for me.

I know I am not healing up and recovering from a good practice as fast as I used to, so I do need to plan out my training well. No more 4 non-aerobic (hope I get this right in English) runs a week for example. Getting some knowledge of making jows and acupressure etc will really help you here though!

And I notice I am still going forward as well. My performance has since October been considerably improved as well. Currently trying to make Fu Hok "my own" as well, and although at slower pace compared to my teen and early twenties, eventually I'll get that as well.

Just go for it
    Last edited by Asmo; 04-19-2007 at 12:51 AM.

With a risk of sounding very pedantic, "there is no end to learning."

It is best to set the mindset into "personal martial growth" as opposed to "mastering the system."

In reality, martial arts evolve to adapt contemporary needs. It is inappropriate to think martial arts as: a big bang of genius invention followed by generational decays ("my sifu was a great fighter, I am not as good as he is"). It is more in the evolutionary biology sense: evolution-mutation/revolution.

"Poor is the pupil who does not surpass his master" - Leonardo da Vinci

Think of taking Hung Gar as a part of completing your own circle as opposed you need to finish the whole circle of Hung Gar.

You need to adapt it to your need and work on it smart, not only hard.

Learning and trying something is better than not doing at all. If you don't give it a chance, how do you know if you can even learn something out of it?

Seach-absorb-evaluate-refine-search-absorb-evaluate-refine ....

It might be hard to master it since people who start younger have the advantage of youthfulness and have done more repetitions. However, somewhere in the middle, it still beats being a sedentary 40-something by far, don't you think?

And about fighting:

1) Bravery first
    2) Strength second
    3) Skills last

A translation from a Chinese martial proverb.

Fighting is about what is in your heart (or intention) ... and whether your body can sustain to follow it by having the appropriate strength and reflexes.

Without heart, nothing moves.

That's why gun is called the men's equalizer: You have the intention and the gun follows, bypassing your body limitations.

Sorry for the multiple postings, but I think that a practical suggestion might be worthwhile, too.

Everything is double-edged. We can use our disadvantagedness as our disadvantagedness. Yet, our strength can be our weakness, too.

One that is very powerful might be able to get way with less techniques just because he has enough power to end the fight. However, he might end up not developing too many techniques. It doesn't matter from the practical perspectives, but there is no growth to his arts.

One that doesn't have the aforementioned advantage has to work around to be proficient in fighting. Master the techniques that don't require (much) of our disadvantagedness.

The morale is use our competitive (dis)advantage.

Hung Gar after 40

I too have started Hung Gar after 40. I find it quite beneficial, even if I'm the oldest person in the class. I get in better shape, and sometimes show the young ones my determination, if not my skill.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    it is said that you are in your prime in Gung-Fu at 56, so you have quite a ways to go. I'll be 50 this July, and I keep getting better and better. I have still made gains in speed, power, strength, mass, etc. Do not let your life and how you feel about yourself be governed by the simple fact that the Earth rotated around the Sun. Chronology has nothing to do with it. How you eat,drink, sleep,and play, how you exercise,stretch, and deal with stress is what will determine your "age."
    So, GO FOR IT!!! and tell Yui "Hi" from Ten Tigers. You couldn't have picked a better Hung-Ga Sifu in NYC.

It's never too late to start or start again. I am 38 and had studied Hung Gar up till last year. I could have easily trained in it for another 15-20 years but decided to take a different path. I was able to keep up and many times outpace my younger counterparts. The younger guys may have more **** and vinegar but with age comes wisdom and you can make better decisions and have better comprehension. I know I did after the age of 30. In my twenties, I had more time to train but didn't put as much effort into my training as I could have. Now at the age of 38 with 3 kids, my own business and other hobbies I train harder than I ever did and have progressed further because of it.

Go for it!

Check out this article, "Age and Kung Fu" -

http://www.plumpub.com/info/Articles/art_mancusoage.htm

Quote Originally Posted by XinKuzi View Post
    Check out this article, "Age and Kung Fu" -

http://www.plumpub.com/info/Articles/art_mancusoage.htm
    Extremely sound, down-to-earth advice. From an old boy just starting out, many thanks. I'm inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
    Greetings all,

I'm looking at possibly taking Hung Gar here in NY City at Yee's Hung Gar. My goal is to teach martial arts after I retire and at my age, I don't think I'll have enough of the martial aspect in Tai Chi 16 years from now.

I'm of course looking to get back into shape after too much weight gain and sedentary life. Would any of you recommend Hung Gar in my case?

How long does it take typically for someone to begin to use it for self-defense and with competence if that person puts in a reasonable amount of days of class time (of course have to practice when not in class)?

I want to retire at an age where I can enjoy it and still be able to teach.
    So did you try it out yet? I am 38 and I was thinking of Yee's also, but like you, I feel the same about age and what style to pick, etc....