Thread: Wushu Kung Fu vs. Inside Kung Fu

wushu555 Guest

Wushu Kung Fu vs. Inside Kung Fu

Have you all noticed how these mags are fighting lately? Brian Gray Shaolin article vs. Martha Burr and Gene Ching's article. Leung Shum's 108 Chin Na vs. Lily Lau's 108 Chin Na. And now Wushu Kung Fu is calling some new guy the REAL Monkey King. What will Inside Kung Fu have to say about that since they make Paulie Zink's videos?

NorthernMantis Guest
    The other guy is the real monkey king not paulie zink.

I don't think they're fighting just competing that's all.

"Always be ready"

chuck Guest

Gene Chings

Just thinking about the magazine wars... and reading the various different ones that are out... I see that Gene Ching articles to be the most interesting and inspiring. Just by reading the articles he puts out, it shows that he does alot of research.

So Gene Ching, if you see this message...

I give you five stars *****
    Keep up the good work

doug maverick Guest

there the best

gene ching does have the best articles there very intresting i hate ikf cause the don't talk about kung fu all the time i actually sean macho camacho the boxer on one cover and the article had nothing to do with kung fu they suck.but wushu kung fu is a different story they always talk about kung fu so i'll pay 4 bucks for there issue but for inside kung fu please i wouldn't wipe my ass with magazine

GeneChing Guest

thanks for the props

Actually, I don't think I deserve nearly the amount of credit you all are giving me, but it is very gratifying. Let me share a story about it (it's short, and you say you like my stories...)

I was at the opening of Tony Chen's new O-Mei school a few weeks ago and he was selling copies of the cover story I did for him (see KQ SEP 2000.) One of his students was eager to point out that it was my work, but I stopped him because I couldn't stand it. It was Tony's work - I just reported on it. Without all these great masters, I would have nothing to write about. They are the source of inspiration. I just try to inhale it all and pass it on. ;)

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & KungfuMagazine.com

doug maverick Guest

true shaolin master

mr.ching you are very modest only a true shaolin master can be like that all do i know you'll say your not but everyone on the forum will disgree gene ching not only do you give great articles but
    also your modest imboding one of the main goals of kung fu to be humble. i humbly bow and respect you
    mr.ching sifu lam must be proud to have you as his student.

p.s. i read some of your article from sifu lams magazine and they were also great keep up the good work

chuck Guest

Gene Ching

I agree with black tiger 100% and I think alot of others will agree with him also. Even like you said in your previous post that you get the info and share it, you still have to present it.. and the way you present it in your style is what makes it interesting.

(blue hair)
    Chuck

GeneChing Guest

gimme a break!

Again thanks, guys, I really do appreciate your kind words. But this is really getting like that scene in Life of Brian where Chapman is denying that he's the Messiah. I say it's really not me and you say only the real one would deny it.

I completely refute the title of Shaolin master - I know many real Shaolin masters and would not put myself on their level at all. In fact, I even hesitate to say I am a competent Shaolin disciple, but that's all I am really aspiring to in the martial arts (well, that and providing for my family.) Just think of me as the blue collar shaolin-er ;)

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & kungfumagazine.com

doug maverick Guest

wu tang article?

gene i read your wu tang article and i just want to say great job i like how you toped each segmnet with a track name wu tang clan are my favorite rap group and the way you toped the segments of with some of there songs were great as an aspiring writer i look up to you(sorry for the @$$ kissing)
    but you do deserve it can you give me some pointers on writing my e-mail is tigersden60@hotmail.com

Kung Lek Guest
    But Gene... where shall we "f" off too? hahahahaha

I really enjoyed that movie.

I like your writing style too, it's not bad at all.

peace

Kung Lek

GeneChing Guest

under the w

I tell you, going to Wudangshan w/RZA was one of the more surreal places my martial path has led me. It's way up there with Lion Dancing for the Grateful Dead. Wudangshan is really beautiful - a stunning sacred place. RZA is surprizingly quiet most of the time - a keen observer and very well read in the classics - and that spontaneous rap thing he does is just amazing. So if anything, I think my piece on that adventure fell short. I could never fully describe what happened. But there is more research from that trip that I still want to publish, so it's not over yet!

That's my "secret" to writing - find an amazing experience and document it. Never fake it. Reality is far more astonishing than fantasy. And do your research - check your facts. A lot of hearsay is just more fantasy. Most martial writers rely on a single source, and that can be a dreadful mistake if that source is inaccurate.

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & kungfumagazine.com