Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KFQ vs IKF

Sil Lum Palm Guest
    I work in a bookstore where a wide variety of magazines on the Martial Arts are sold. I read them all , but I must say that KFQ is the best of them all. I really enjoyed the Monkey Kung Fu Articles on Granmaster Chan. I hope to see more on topics like these in the future.

illusionfist Guest
    IKF is a rag. Nuff said.

Peace :D

Wongsifu Guest

too corny

i know it sounds corny but in fact its true that KFmagazine blows inside kf out of the water, KF magazine always has famous and good kf guys for there interviews and forms/techniques.
    IKF always has some lamo ****e like that guy who was doing drunken style self defense or that isabella tatoui who was holding a pair of baoding iron balls pretending to do chi kung, I wrote to ikf slagging her off and next 5 issues she wasnt in it thank god after that she came on again but it was more kosher....

The most unfortunate thing is however ,,.... I can buy your KF mag in the shops over here any more :(
    ITs only got ikf and i havent bought anything for ages....
    When they used to bring it over they would chargge like 12 dollars an issue at the newsagents and when a friend manages to send me an issue over from england its great
    soooo keep up the good work and maybe in a couple of months i can distribute you mag over here in cyprus for you ;)

Ive finally done it I can train longer by getting paid to do nothing , and my parents always called me lazy :)
    get paid online http://www.spedia.net/cgi-bin/tz.cgi...=8&vid=2475225

GeneChing Guest

Distribution

Magazine distribution (especially International) is really challenging. Most newsstands only want ot carry one martial arts mag and squeeze in the sports section and the pro-wrestling. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of newsstand operators - but if you go buy from them, they will certainly sell it. So many thanks for your support in Cyprus!

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com

Radhnoti Guest
    So...here's a silly question. Which do you guys prefer...that we ask our local newsstands to carry you, increasing your visibility, OR subscribing? I've been one step away from subscribing for a month now, and your answer will probably be the clincher. :D

-Radhnoti

lukrion Guest
    Mr. Ching

I have to say that I haven't missed an issue of Kung Fu Qigong since I started buying it a few years ago. I seen it go through several changes but I loved it when it took on its new shape around the Milleniem.

I was disappointed when it dropped back to every other month. I wasn't sure if it would last so I let my subscription run out and just buy them off of the newstand now. It also made some more changes, like Gods Kitchen vs. Buddha's Kitchen. I know its just a title but it was like changing horses in the middle of the stream. Some other nice features seemed to get overlooked It also seems as of late that there is a merchadise tag on every article, which makes me feel as if I am buying a catalog.

Although I'm not looking for secrets, I would like a little technique in more articles rather than just a history of the art.

As far as forms, aren't there smaller forms that could be used or even combos in every issue? Even techniques such as Iron Palm etc. I don't think these will make us experts but give us a taste into others arts.

It seem as Inside Kung Fu deals more with grappling and Hollywood, which just doesn't turn me on. I hope you stay away from this route! Its only if Dr. Yang has a column, that I pick it up.

Anyway please keep the standard high,

Gary

GeneChing Guest

just buy it!

radhnoti: Actually, it doesn't matter, newsstand or subscirption. But if you buy 12-issue subscription, you'll get a free shirt.

gary (lukrion): 2000 was an experimental year and there were some failures. Buddha's kitchen was changed because it drew complaints for our non-veg recipes (personally, I was in full agreement that that title was inappropriate from the beginning, but my vote was outnumbered.) The decision to go back to bi-monthly was driven by where we are right now - the Net. We really wanted to get into web publishing, but didn't not have the bandwidth to do so and remain monthly. So in a sense, you are enjoying us even more by participating on this forum. As for the product tags, I think you will find that we still have the least obtrusive advertising of any of the magazines, but frankly without ads we'd go bankrupt in one issue. And for forms, we have been endevouring to publish complete forms from popular request. You are the first to say shorter forms. We are working on increasing techniques articles (but our stable of masters have to kick down more!)
    Thanks for you input - we really do appreciate it. Keep it coming.

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com

lukrion Guest
    Gene,

Thanks for you quick response! I really like what you guys are doing with spreading alot of material over several issues. I was merely thinking that if it is concern not to reveal too much of the art in publication that maybe a smaller form here and there would be a compromise to get an overview of some of the magic of varied styles without divulging to much.

I like the E-zine also. I only wish there was some kind of way that we could download and save the files in Adobe Acrobat for instance. I save every issue because of the the valuable referance material contained. It would be a bonus to be able to archive the on-line articles as well.

Well in the nutshell I believe that what you guys are publishing is the real deal, so keep up the good work.

Gary