Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My impressions of Wing chun training so far

Quote Originally Posted by ammocase View Post
    ...wheres the training for defense against knife attacks an mutliple opponents?

You are either delusional or a troll. Either way, it is possible Ving Tsun may ultimately not be for you.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Henry Moy is good, ammo. I remember working out with him back in the day. (A nice guy too).

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    You are either delusional or a troll. Either way, it is possible Ving Tsun may ultimately not be for you.
    Ok... then your school isnt for me either, an explain why you say im either a troll or delusional... ving tsun lacks these in their self defense?

Im not looking for someone to promote their schools.. ill just prank call them numbers for years if you do... lets see how delusional i am when i call the school asking for wang chung... im kidding.. maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by ammocase View Post
    Ok... then your school isnt for me either, an explain why you say im either a troll or delusional... ving tsun lacks these in their self defense?

Im not looking for someone to promote their schools.. ill just prank call them numbers for years if you do... lets see how delusional i am when i call the school asking for wang chung... im kidding.. maybe.

Alright, perhaps I was a little too harsh on you. It depends on whether the misspelling "an" you made was supposed to be "and" or "on".

If it was "on" as I originally read it, I stick by my original statement.

If it was "and", I'll simply retract my "delusional or troll" comment. Instead, I would prefer not to address your words as it is a subject well beyond the scope of what I wish to discuss in this thread. My apologies for any confusion.

You insisted you only wanted this art and you already complained that Victor was too far from you. Until I learn of someone closer, Henry is the closest person I know to where you are studying now. However, if you are now looking for another art, I will also point out there is a Hung Gar sifu I happen to know in the exact same studio you study at now.

Of course, it's always your choice what kind of relationship you wish to have with Henry. However, if you call someone because of some reason having to do with something I said, just call me and we'll straighten it out. Tel: (917) 658-0091.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    Alright, perhaps I was a little too harsh on you. It depends on whether the misspelling "an" you made was supposed to be "and" or "on".

If it was "on" as I originally read it, I stick by my original statement.

If it was "and", I'll simply retract my "delusional or troll" comment. Instead, I would prefer not to address your words as it is a subject well beyond the scope of what I wish to discuss in this thread. My apologies for any confusion.

You insisted you only wanted this art and you already complained that Victor was too far from you. Until I learn of someone closer, Henry is the closest person I know to where you are studying now. However, if you are now looking for another art, I will also point out there is a Hung Gar sifu I happen to know in the exact same studio you study at now.

Of course, it's always your choice what kind of relationship you wish to have with Henry. However, if you call someone because of some reason having to do with something I said, just call me and we'll straighten it out. Tel: (917) 658-0091.
    Yeah i been looking into the hung ga/ san shou training that they do in that studio... you have any insider info on that?

wheres the training for defense against knife attacks an mutliple opponents?
    If you want to learn knife defense, WC is not your best option.

Most of the bare hand defenses/blocks in WC will get your limbs shredded against anyone who has the faintest idea of what to do with a knife. IMO you'd be better finding a decent FMA or CQC teacher. A good teacher will impress on you how foolish it is to fight someone with a blade if you don't have a weapon and you have any chance to escape.

Butterfly sword techs can (THEORETICALLY, and this is of course an anti-theoretician forum!) be adapted to a knife fight, but you can't realistically carry such weapons - you'd be better off learing to use an impact weapon like a walking stick. Or running away.

As for multiple opponents, yeah you can look at some scenarios. IMHO WC is better suited for fighting a single opponent, or multiple opponents in a corridor, so none of them can outflank you - styles like CLF have better tactics (in THEORY) for people coming from all directions. But the same applies as to knife fighting, the odds against you are considerable and you should avoid this if you possibly can. IMO, others will probably disagree.

Your roadwork and interval sprints are probably your best form of training for such eventualities.

I would imagine your boxing and kickboxing gyms didn't have a lot to offer in this regard. They know their areas of expertise and sensibly do not venture outside them. Not so with too many TMAers (and MMAers - didn't some MMA fighter get wasted in a street fight recently? Brought his RNC to a knife fight?).
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!