Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: city with no mercy/flashpoint

Talking yip & Yen third team up

this is the third movie from donnie yen and director wilson yip, its a crime drama like spl called city with no mercy here is the lowdown:

November 2006

-- City With No Mercy --
    City With No Mercy 《破军》, latest work from Wilson Yip, looks poised to surpass SPL with a richer storyline and characterisation, as well as fresh action scenes that are full of impact. The movie, slated for release on Labour Day 2007, stars Donnie Yen, Louis Koo, Fan Bing Bing, Xing Yu, Ngai Sing, Ray Lui, Timmy Hung, Kent Cheng, Xu Qing.

According to Wilson Yip, as opposed to Dragon Tiger Gate which was basically a one-man show, screen time in City With No Mercy will be more evenly distributed between Donnie Yen and Louis Koo. There will be better balance between action scenes and drama scenes too, which will be more seamlessly blended and more enjoyable than those action-oriented films, as more effort has been put on drama. The ending will be less tragic compared to SPL.

Louis Koo says that his role as an undercover detective is different from other movies. Unlike those movies in which the actors would have to portray the inner conflicts and feelings of an undercover throughout the entire film, his identity is exposed rather early here. This film shows how he has to get on with life when he loses everything: his legs, his family, his girlfriend, and his split with his buddy, the decisions he has to make.

One of the main reasons for SPL's success was the realistic fight scenes. And this time round, Donnie Yen intends to carry this out further, to the extent of not using any means of aid, with every move to be done by each actor themselves. Donnie Yen says, "The Chinese are recognised for their martial arts films, and to bring it to further heights is indeed daunting. To achieve realism, I have invited many martial arts exponents from around the globe to join City with No Mercy and they'd also have some parts to play in the choreography. I will incorporate moves from Judo, Ultimate Fighting Championship, all various types of martial arts, would not use wires, doubles. Realistic fights need not be brutal, we'll use strength to convey the beauty."

Donnie Yen goes on to say that the action is tailored made according to each actor's ability, and he'll not turn a non-martial artist into a top fighter overnight, "Actually, only I, Ngai Xing and Xing Yu are the only ones who came from wushu institutes. The fight scenes will be more demanding, and the three of us even went for three months of training, in Muay Thai, etc. For the rest, we try to work around their strengths and limitations. For example, Louis Koo had some basic Judo training when filming Throwdown, so, his main moves in this film will be Judo plus a couple of other forms, resulting in his special action sequences."

Plot: While Donnie Yen of Organized Crime Control Bureau has exceptional martial arts ability, his life is full of struggles, one of which is his constant battle against the three brothers of an all powerful Vietnam Gang, eldest brother Ray Lui, who is ever menacing, second brother Ngai Sing, who is cool, collected and cunning, and third brother Xing Yu, whose fighting skills are unmatched. The three's bid to get rid of their rival Lin Kwok Pun is thwarted by their bodyguard Louis Koo, who is actually an undercover planted by Donnie Yen. When Donnie Yen begins an operation to capture all the gang members, Louis Koo blows his cover. In their conflicts, all witnesses are killed, leaving only sole survivor Louis Koo, who has been maimed by them. However, his girlfriend has been taken away... Yangcheng Evening News, Sina, Zhejiang News

-- City With No Mercy --

Photo: China Times

Production of 《破军》 A City Without Mercy, directed by Wilson Yip and scripted by Szeto Kam Yuen, began officially in Hong Kong on 13 November and a press conference was held. The movie marks the third collaboration between Wilson Yip and Donnie Yen. Both indicate emphatically that City Without Mercy is not SPL 2 though it may bear some similar characteristics to SPL. To impart an authentic feel to the martial arts scenes, Donnie Yen has especially hired Xing Yu, Ngai Sing and over 20 martial arts experts. He reveals that martial arts fans who expressed their doubts over the over-reliance on the special effects in Dragon Tiger Gate would be delighted to know that City Without Mercy will contain the most realistic and earth-shattering martial arts sequences, with minimal special effects. China Times

city with no mercy/flashpoint

i posted this already under yip and yen third team up. but it seems to be generating no buzz so i's posting it under this merdorator please feel free to erase the other one.

this is the third movie from donnie yen and director wilson yip, its a crime drama like spl called city with no mercy here is the lowdown:

November 2006

-- City With No Mercy --
    City With No Mercy 《破军》, latest work from Wilson Yip, looks poised to surpass SPL with a richer storyline and characterisation, as well as fresh action scenes that are full of impact. The movie, slated for release on Labour Day 2007, stars Donnie Yen, Louis Koo, Fan Bing Bing, Xing Yu, Ngai Sing, Ray Lui, Timmy Hung, Kent Cheng, Xu Qing.

According to Wilson Yip, as opposed to Dragon Tiger Gate which was basically a one-man show, screen time in City With No Mercy will be more evenly distributed between Donnie Yen and Louis Koo. There will be better balance between action scenes and drama scenes too, which will be more seamlessly blended and more enjoyable than those action-oriented films, as more effort has been put on drama. The ending will be less tragic compared to SPL.

Louis Koo says that his role as an undercover detective is different from other movies. Unlike those movies in which the actors would have to portray the inner conflicts and feelings of an undercover throughout the entire film, his identity is exposed rather early here. This film shows how he has to get on with life when he loses everything: his legs, his family, his girlfriend, and his split with his buddy, the decisions he has to make.

One of the main reasons for SPL's success was the realistic fight scenes. And this time round, Donnie Yen intends to carry this out further, to the extent of not using any means of aid, with every move to be done by each actor themselves. Donnie Yen says, "The Chinese are recognised for their martial arts films, and to bring it to further heights is indeed daunting. To achieve realism, I have invited many martial arts exponents from around the globe to join City with No Mercy and they'd also have some parts to play in the choreography. I will incorporate moves from Judo, Ultimate Fighting Championship, all various types of martial arts, would not use wires, doubles. Realistic fights need not be brutal, we'll use strength to convey the beauty."

Donnie Yen goes on to say that the action is tailored made according to each actor's ability, and he'll not turn a non-martial artist into a top fighter overnight, "Actually, only I, Ngai Xing and Xing Yu are the only ones who came from wushu institutes. The fight scenes will be more demanding, and the three of us even went for three months of training, in Muay Thai, etc. For the rest, we try to work around their strengths and limitations. For example, Louis Koo had some basic Judo training when filming Throwdown, so, his main moves in this film will be Judo plus a couple of other forms, resulting in his special action sequences."

Plot: While Donnie Yen of Organized Crime Control Bureau has exceptional martial arts ability, his life is full of struggles, one of which is his constant battle against the three brothers of an all powerful Vietnam Gang, eldest brother Ray Lui, who is ever menacing, second brother Ngai Sing, who is cool, collected and cunning, and third brother Xing Yu, whose fighting skills are unmatched. The three's bid to get rid of their rival Lin Kwok Pun is thwarted by their bodyguard Louis Koo, who is actually an undercover planted by Donnie Yen. When Donnie Yen begins an operation to capture all the gang members, Louis Koo blows his cover. In their conflicts, all witnesses are killed, leaving only sole survivor Louis Koo, who has been maimed by them. However, his girlfriend has been taken away... Yangcheng Evening News, Sina, Zhejiang News

-- City With No Mercy --

Photo: China Times

Production of 《破军》 A City Without Mercy, directed by Wilson Yip and scripted by Szeto Kam Yuen, began officially in Hong Kong on 13 November and a press conference was held. The movie marks the third collaboration between Wilson Yip and Donnie Yen. Both indicate emphatically that City Without Mercy is not SPL 2 though it may bear some similar characteristics to SPL. To impart an authentic feel to the martial arts scenes, Donnie Yen has especially hired Xing Yu, Ngai Sing and over 20 martial arts experts. He reveals that martial arts fans who expressed their doubts over the over-reliance on the special effects in Dragon Tiger Gate would be delighted to know that City Without Mercy will contain the most realistic and earth-shattering martial arts sequences, with minimal special effects. China Times

very nice doug. ill look for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Angry city with no mercy/flashpoint

am i the only one hyped up about this movie. i mean i see alot of people talking about the jackie and jet kiddie movie garbage thats gonna come out. but i don't here nobody talking what is going to be the best one on one fight in martial arts movie's in like twenty years(or rather since spl) collin chou versus donnie yen. this fight is going to look awesome i'm more then sure of it. and this movie has way more action(for you guys who *****ed about the two fight scenes in spl) its coming out this summer the dvd here and the theaterical release in china. get hyped ******.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    am i the only one hyped up about this movie. i mean i see alot of people talking about the jackie and jet kiddie movie garbage thats gonna come out. but i don't here nobody talking what is going to be the best one on one fight in martial arts movie's in like twenty years(or rather since spl) collin chou versus donnie yen. this fight is going to look awesome i'm more then sure of it. and this movie has way more action(for you guys who *****ed about the two fight scenes in spl) its coming out this summer the dvd here and the theaterical release in china. get hyped ******.

I was just about to start a thread about this. I hope it has a good release like Curse of the Golden Flower. The US really missed out on SPL, let's hope they don't screw this up.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

well

the weinstien didn't get the film to 06 and it was out in 05 so it was already all over the place. but spl is doing so well on dvd that there probably gonna give this a theaterical release because of colin chou.

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?!?!?

PLease let it come to Omaha.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

well...

it all depends on how fast they can get it. because it'll be in on dvd in china like two months after it comes out in theaters. and it'll be in your local china town faster then that. you see if they would release it around the same time it'll do good. but i don't know for a fact that its coming out in theaters but spl is doing really well.

I'm looking forward to it

I've enjoyed all of Donnie's recent work and I feel he's on a roll. Collin is worth watching too. I found a little Youtube Making of just now that looks promising (my initial search for Flashpoint turned up a Jenna Jameson vid ).

Not sure why you started this thread with such an upset tone there, Doug. Don't let Miramax get your panties in a bunch. Do you know any more about the release dates, etc?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i sounded upset cause

people tend to answer ****ed threads more and i wanted to make sure we kept this thing rolling. i saw the video you got up there. i heard donnie and wilson are keeping this one tight lipped unlike dtg where they had a website and all. its coming out in hk in july. as for the dragon dynasty release i don't know that yet but i looked at there release dates for movies and it wasn't on the july or the august list. looks like i'll be getting it in china town and then get dd release when it comes out(cause face it they do good job with the extras). i'm actually trying to get in contact with them i'm working on a film that is prodominately asain. and wanted to know if they only bought import stuff or is it any martial art oriented film. hey gene i know you gotta have some contact with bey logan. why don't you ask him about the us release date.

****ed threads

I think if you had focused on the Jenna Jameson angle, it might have got more traffic than a ****ed thread. No worries, Doug. This thread will live thrive until the film hits. I share your admiration for Donnie's work. He's very talented and I'm hoping he may rise to be the new crowned king of martial arts film. In my mind, it's between him and Tony Jaa at this point - two princes battling for the crown. I even felt that some of the elbow work in DTG was a tip of the hat of Donnie to Tony, but that's probably me just projecting things.

Unfortunately, I don't have a contact to Bey Logan anymore. I did when I worked for WLE, but KFTC doesn't do anything with Bey, so there you go. It might be easier for me to contact Donnie, actually. We were working on getting Donnie to our 15th party and things were looking really good until the Emei committee dropped the ball. I've never met Donnie personally, but we're close with many of his classmates and were one of the first magazines to feature him on the cover.

Who's distributing Flashpoint in the U.S.?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

your right

should've went with jenna angle. Quentin tarrintino and bob weinsteins company dragon dynasty is handling the U.S. distribution, they did a good job with the protector and killzone as well as seven swords, they give alot of good extra's and commentaries with there dvds. i guess the WB(weinstein brothers) are making up for all their screw ups with MA movies over at miramax. the reason why i said the thing about bey logan is that he runs things over at D&D and he would better know the release date.

P.S.oh and by the way this is Totally O.T. but yuen woo ping won the best choreagrapher award at the golden horse. for fearless beating out donnie and ching siu tung. it's pretty much between him and donnie now as the best fight directors in hong kong(and for that matter the world)

bey logan

just sent an email to bey asking about the release date for city with no mercy/flashpoint, hopefully responds, and once i get the answer it'll be posted right here.

Thanks Doug

BTW, I think the Golden Horse Best Choreographer deserves its own thread here. I remember seeing a published list of all the recipients over the years, but I didn't pick it up. Perhaps it's on the web somewhere. If you find it, post it on a new thread here. If I find it, I'll do likewise.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

yes it really does.

i'll start doing my search work.