Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: city with no mercy/flashpoint

Sure, make me clean up after you, Doug

I just think it's a much more interesting read if all the posts regarding a single film are on the same thread. As an archive, you can see the progression, which has a historical value, especially with Asian films and how they are marketed in America.

Thanks for the update. Eager to see this one...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i agree 100%

i just didn't want to go looking through the pages to find the flashpoint one. sorry for my laziness gene.but ****** i'm so siked about this film. if there is anyone asain star who can really hold up to donnie its collin chou. so i can't wait to see this.

I thought the Ngai Sing fight was about 100 times better than Donnie Yen Samm Hung. The undercranking bugged me a couple times, but literally only once or twice. Best movie fight EVER!!!!!!
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

you saw it already? you downloaded it

Yeah I couldn't wait. Every fight scene ever made sucks compared to this Donnie Yen Ngai Sing fight.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

Dude PM me the place where u downloaded it from are there subs?

Check your PM box

got it thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    I thought the Ngai Sing fight was about 100 times better than Donnie Yen Samm Hung. The undercranking bugged me a couple times, but literally only once or twice. Best movie fight EVER!!!!!!
    That is saying quite a bit dude...

Why don't you let me know once you have seen it dude

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    Why don't you let me know once you have seen it dude
    For sure, I am very excited, Donnie always puts together some cool stuff.
    Have my eye out for it on ebay...

Sorry guys, the final fight was on youtube but already has been removed. So just in case you can't see it, i will give you a preview. Both Ngai Sing and Donnie start out giving flurries of punches. Donnie ends up on his back and is kicking upwards and trying to block Ngai's punches. Donni grabs ahold of his shirt and manages to get his leg around Ngai's neck. Almost choked out, Ngai picks him up and starts picking him up and slamming him onto the ground. The fight goes on like this non stop, and it goes on for almost 8 minutes. Donnie uses a lot of the skills he showed in SPL except you can tell that he has majorly upgraded his fighting. Ngai Sing doesn't really use MMA, he is just wild and Donnie has to try and stop his relentless attack. THis is probably the fight scene i have ever seen, and without a doubt the best MMA fight scene ever. Undisputed 2 was the top MMA movie in my opinion, but flashpoint is so much better because they are not in a cage and there are no rules and gloves.

I still prefer SPL

Flashpoint follows the stereotypic Hong-Kong-gangster-deep-cover story arc ala City on Fire/Reservoir Dogs & Infernal Affairs/Departed. Donnie plays essentially the same character as in SPL, the hardcore kick ass cop. There's a lot of plot development (re: not many fights). It's very, very Hong Kong in its style and cinematography. T he finale is awesome - great gun play, great fight. I still think Donnie is the choreographer to watch now. He incorporates a lot of judo and MMA techniques, does some nice extended sequences and sets up some fresh visions of people kicking the stuffing out of each other. All the fights are great. There's just too few of them. Maybe if I had a better command of Mandarin, the plot would have intrigued me more, but I'm guessing not. For the fight scenes, it does deliver. However, in the shadow of the over-the-top Thai films that are coming out now, there's just not enough action. Too much intrigue. If we wanted good acting, we'd watch Meryl Streep. We want a little of the ultra-vi, not the Devil Wears Prada. So, with the last three Donnie films, I still rate it as #1 SPL, #2 Dragon Tiger Gate, and now #3 Flashpoint. It's definitely worth it to just see to the fights for the last two. The fights are intense.

I knew one of the villains. Xing Yu was formerly known as Shi Xingwu, a martial monk who I knew in '95 & '96. I had heard he left to try to make it in film. This monk was a gorilla. He would take a shot to the stomach from anyone who walked into Shaolin Temple. Anyone. Despite his hulking physique, he could still do all the aerial stuff too. He also starred as Coolie in Kung Fu Hustle apparently - I'll have to watch that again since I didn't recognize him. It took me a while to recognize him in Flashpoint. He's got a mean look that will fate him to playing heavies and villains, but he's a phenomenal martial artist and another one to keep your eye on. There's a pic of me and Xingwu together in my publisher's note in our Shaolin Special 2000.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hey great info on Xing Yu. He is a bad boy in this movie. I love the toilet scene at the start of the movie. I agree with you on SPL being better than Flashpoint. I liked the fights in Flashpoint more but SPL is a better overall movie.

Okay so I finally got the subs to work for flashpoint so I can give my full review:

plot first(spoiler) luis koo plays an under cover cop working for a special unit run by our old friend inspector ma(flashpoint was suppose to be a prequel to spl and it still is cause Donnie has the same name as the character in spl so I guess its an unofficial prequel) luis is under cover in a gang run by three Vietnamese brother tony(collin chou) tiger(yu xing) and ja ge(ray liu) the brothers ofcourse find out that Luis is a rat but he escapes all be it injured. That where the story sets into full motion. I really enjoyed it I only wish we could have seen the full fight inside the gym. Anyway:

it wasn’t as good as spl lets get that out of the way. But it was good Collin Chou was deffenatly in top form so was Donnie their fight was awesome and so was the fight between Donnie and the shoalin guy from kung fu hustle but once again Donnie leaves us wanting more in the hand to hand come back department. Although he did have a good shoot’em up action sequence reminiscing of ballistic kiss. Actually flash point reminded me of ballistic kiss for some reason maybe it was the voice over at the end. I gotta say I love these sorta martial noir films that come from Donnie and Wilson I hope they make more in this vain. One note on the fight between Donnie and Collin Donnie did this ******* hand crank in one part of the fight that he use to do in his old films and I wanted to smack him in the back of the head for that.

All and all I enjoyed it Luis koo was in good form in the acting department but I felt that as usual Wilson didn’t develop things as he should have, there always something that’s missing, but that’s in a lot of Chinese films, happens a lot in Wong kar wai (aka the Chinese d.w. Griffith) films but he doesn’t use a script, just ideas. Also I felt that they made the movie a bit softer because except for ja ge nobody died they just got the shi t beat out of them. Luis koo looked like a chang cheh film before the thing was over. My girlfriend called him a used tampon (ewww). Hopefully the next film they do together (it was suppose to be painted faces but now being directed by Gordon Chan se post here. Been trying to get that one going for a while) maybe they need to get a American or European script writer that would be an interesting combination get someone like say William Monahan (Oscar winning screen writer, the departed, kingdom of heaven and the upcoming Jurassic park 4) or maybe someone like john woo, whose been known to right a good complete script or at least co write one. We’ll see a really good martial noir (that’s what I’m calling these films)