Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: city with no mercy/flashpoint

yeah never heard of crazy monkey boxing myself and i been in this stuff for almost 20 years. but while i liked this figh i still think th donnie sammo fight was awesome. i just liked o donnie faught the master in the first film and the student in the second.

Hey Jethro,

I agree with you without a doubt the fight scene between Donnie & Collin Chou was bananas....

Doug,

I agree with you as well the fight scene between Donnie & Sammo in SPL was bananas as well. In short Donnie Yen is taking the fighting scene's to a another level.
    RAYNYSC

he' dominating right now. no one and that includes tony jaa con touch donie right now

Donnie vs Sammo was very high level, but it felt too chreographed at times. Donnie vs Collin Chou has a couple of minor flaws , but I thought it was way better than DOnnie vs Sammo. Collin Chou is a madman. And I would not want to work on Donnie's stunt crew. Those guys took some HARD falls and they have to be crazy taking those full contact punches to the face. I went into this movie with the highest expectations and the finale still managed to blow me away.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

the full contact punches don't really hurt. gonna tell you a secret. the punches are done two ways on is they punch in a normal to slow with minimal impact and the other is they use a padded flesh colored glove. the thing i hate about the donne colon fight was donnie doing that stupid winding punch. that ruined the fight a little for me.

LOL

Yeah, it is a good thing he didn't do that the whole fight. That really would have ruined it.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

I finally got to watch the fight today (I used the computer at work). I like it! I like it better than Donnie Yen's fight with Sammo Hung. It was one of Yen's better fights. It's true that these days, Donnie Yen is the man in HK. He's the only one there who seems to have the creativity and skill to put together fights and stunts at that level anymore, and yes, he's better at it IMO than Tony Jaa. Then again, he's been in the movie business much longer, too. I like the fact that Yen knows how to begin a fight scene, vary the tempo, vary the moves, sustain it, and finish it. In HK, it's becoming a lost art.

As for that swinging, Sugar Ray-Leonard type fake-out punch, he seems to put that into lots of his fight scenes; the first time I remembered it was in In The Line of Duty 4. I don't particularly care for that move myself.

Hey glad you liked it Jimbo. Donnie really did create somethign special here. I have made like 15 people kung fu movie fans because of this fight. Only problem is that they think every fight sucks compared to this. And is Tony Jaa coming out with his new movie anytime soon? Donnie not only does better fight scenes than Jaa, but it doesn't take him 3 years to make a movie.

Jethro:
    I don't know when Tony Jaa's new movie is coming out, but I tell you this: At this time, when many are touting the upcoming movie with Jackie Chan/Jet Li, I think the real question is: When will Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa work together in a movie? And hopefully it won't take another 20 years when Yen's in his early 60s for it to happen. I'd really like to see what are likely the two top martial arts movie stars TODAY make a classic movie/fight scene(s) together while in their primes. I think their styles could mesh well in a cinematic fight; Donnie Yen's sharp, speedy, more grounded style vs. Tony Jaa's high-flying, uber-flexible/acrobatic style. And preferably a story more in line with a Yen film; interested to see how Jaa would do in a movie with a superior storyline.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 10-14-2007 at 08:45 PM.

Wow Jimbo that is an awesome idea!! I wouldn't mind seeing Jaa in a role similar to Wu Jing in SPL. It would be nice to see Jaa in ANY role in a Donnie Yen movie. If they worked together it would be the most anticipated martial arts movie of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    yeah never heard of crazy monkey boxing myself and i been in this stuff for almost 20 years. but while i liked this figh i still think th donnie sammo fight was awesome. i just liked o donnie faught the master in the first film and the student in the second.
    Google Rodney King and crazy monkey boxing.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Well I have heard of Rodney King.

Jethro:
    Yup, a role similar to the one Wu Jing had in SPL would be awesome. And, ironically, I think it's possible that Tony Jaa could come across well as a right-hand man/villain. He could play a stone killer/enforcer, so his limited acting ability would not be so apparent.

I would think Donnie would probably be for it, and maybe Tony would too, but IMO there might be too much politics between Tony's director/stunt team, and the fact he's the man in (and pride of?) Thailand. I'm not sure if Donnie would forfeit the use of his control and stunt team, either. Now, if you can get Donnie's stunt crew and Tony's stunt crew to work together and split the credit, it definitely would be the top draw in M.A. movies. (I can dream, can't I?)

if they do a movie togather donnie will probably lead the way as the fight director. but combining both stunt teams would be awesome

just got to watch this at home.

awsome fight, thanks for posting that.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.