Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: city with no mercy/flashpoint

Contest ends on 6:00 p.m. PST on 5/4/08.

There's still plenty of time to enter our sweepstakes. Good luck!

'Flash Point' is insanely awesome
    By Jessica Severs
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, April 24, 2008

The insanely awesome Donnie Yen launches into inhuman feats of fight choreography that lifts this cop flick to a zen-like state of martial arts enlightenment.

Yen manages to put the "art" back in "mixed martial arts," drawing heavily from brutal Muay Thai and Jujitsu grappling, corkscrewing the bad guys in mid air with deft efficiency. Seriously, he is something to be marveled.

In "Flash Point," Yen plays a fearless detective closing in on a vicious gang, while his undercover partner feeds him intel. As expected, things gets messy, and the blood hits the fan.

The climax hurls out a doozy of a white-knuckle duel where you'll find yourself cringing with every blow. Yen's intensity never falters.

And as you'll find out in the second disc-full of special features, these punches and kicks connect -- this ain't no Hollywood action flick -- to satisfy Yen's demand for realism. Ouch.

R; 2008. (88 minutes, Dragon Dynasty) 3 stars
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i entered but...

i doubt i'll win i never win those **** sweepstakes of your gene thats why i usually don't enter. but its donnie and everybody on this board knows how big of a donnie yen fan i am.

I saw Flashpoint on the internet a few weeks ago and it was good...I liked SPL a little bit more though...this week end ...if it's still on thr net ...I'm going to be checking out The princess and her warriors
    If life isn't fair...than why should i be

Flashpoint Starring Donnie Yen

I'm shocked, SHOCKED that this, one of the best MA / Cop movies ever made, doesn't have its own thread.

Let us all bask in the awesomeness of this movie.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

i thought it did....
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

im shocked and awed !

i loved this movie.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    I'm shocked, SHOCKED that this, one of the best MA / Cop movies ever made, doesn't have its own thread.

Let us all bask in the awesomeness of this movie.
    actually it does. i know because i started it do a search.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i thought it did....
    my search fu is on today!

My search-fu must have been off.

LOL!

I did a search and couldn't find the thread.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Anyone seen Donnie Yen's "Flashpoint?"

I'm sorta torn about it. He took Hong Kong cinema fighting which is traditional Kung Fu based and blended it with Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo! In fact I'd say the fight scenes were predominantly that minus a few of his signature side, spinning, and jump kicks. I loved them, he took something that is reality based and made it look great on screen.

It's crazy though, I didn't expect to see all that. What does that tell you about the success of MMA in the world when a die hard kung fu guy takes MMA popularized moves and puts them in a gung fu flick! Do you think he is a traitor to the kung fu cinema for doing that or an innovator for new ideas?

Something I was also thinking....when did Donnie Yen go and learn these three arts? I've heard rumors that he actually did learn BJJ from someone in Hong Kong. Or do you think he just learned some of the moves and assimilated them into his arsenal? His technique was nearly flawless though IMO.
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 02-01-2010 at 01:02 AM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Before Flashpoint was Fatal Contact (has more weapon and is hybrid between mma & kung-fu)

and the new film that just came out at 09' is called bodyguards & assassins which donnie yen is also in - I saw a clip and I saw him doing muay thai / boxing / with judo throws

Cung Le is also in that movie too...though I haven't that one yet.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

if you get a chance watch flashpoint with donnies commentary on, it clears some of that up. he even mentions at a point where he is wrong from a experienced skill standpoint on some of his grappling choreography.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    I'm sorta torn about it. He took Hong Kong cinema fighting which is traditional Kung Fu based and blended it with Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo! In fact I'd say the fight scenes were predominantly that minus a few of his signature side, spinning, and jump kicks. I loved them, he took something that is reality based and made it look great on screen.

It's crazy though, I didn't expect to see all that. What does that tell you about the success of MMA in the world when a die hard kung fu guy takes MMA popularized moves and puts them in a gung fu flick! Do you think he is a traitor to the kung fu cinema for doing that or an innovator for new ideas?

Something I was also thinking....when did Donnie Yen go and learn these three arts? I've heard rumors that he actually did learn BJJ from someone in Hong Kong. Or do you think he just learned some of the moves and assimilated them into his arsenal? His technique was nearly flawless though IMO.
    I read an interview with Donnie Yen in a British magazine sometime in the late '80s/early '90s, where he stated that he studied lots of different types of martial arts, including non-Chinese systems, when he lived in Boston. He claimed he was only interested in what worked. If I remember right, one teacher whose school he trained at was George Mattson (sp?), who was an early pioneer of karate in the U.S.; I think his style is Uechi-ryu. He also did TKD, maybe some boxing, etc. I believe he mentioned he was often getting into trouble at the time, plus wanted to learn things besides just at his mother's (Bow-Sim Mark) wushu institute. So Donnie wasn't necessarily a die-hard kung fu guy. He is definitely an innovator of new ideas in action cinema. He saw what is popular and adapted it for the screen, and in a way that nobody else has been able to do yet. He can adapt virtually any MA style and make it look good onscreen.