Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A call to Arms

A call to Arms

I'm reading Parade Magazine on Sunday April 22( happy Earth Day) and I'm pleased to see a picture of Jet Li in the Personality Parade section inside the front cover. Joy turns to dismay as I read the nature of the article. Someone has written to Walter Scott asking "Who would you rate as the toughest martial-arts stars ever on the big screen?" Granted it's nice to see the discussion of Martial Arts in a main stream magazine, even if it is only the movie version. However Walter Scott said the top five toughest martial on screen are The Late Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, and Jean-Claude Van Damm. Come on! These are the five toughest? Where is Jackie? How did Jean-Claude get in there? There is even a section for voting and these are the only five names listed. You can post other names in the comments section and that is precisely what I think needs to happen. It's time to educate Mr Scott about Martial Arts start.

You can add your comments at http://www.parade.com/articles/editi...onality_Parade
    ~The table saw is my weapon of
    choice

Quote Originally Posted by grlyncher99 View Post
    I'm reading Parade Magazine on Sunday April 22( happy Earth Day) and I'm pleased to see a picture of Jet Li in the Personality Parade section inside the front cover. Joy turns to dismay as I read the nature of the article. Someone has written to Walter Scott asking "Who would you rate as the toughest martial-arts stars ever on the big screen?" Granted it's nice to see the discussion of Martial Arts in a main stream magazine, even if it is only the movie version. However Walter Scott said the top five toughest martial on screen are The Late Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, and Jean-Claude Van Damm. Come on! These are the five toughest? Where is Jackie? How did Jean-Claude get in there? There is even a section for voting and these are the only five names listed. You can post other names in the comments section and that is precisely what I think needs to happen. It's time to educate Mr Scott about Martial Arts start.

You can add your comments at http://www.parade.com/articles/editi...onality_Parade
    Who would you choose instead of the fighters on that list?

Pat Morita?
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

I totally agree grlyncher99. I think Jean Claude is in the top 5 weakest looking martial arts actors.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

my list in no particular order

1. donnie yen(best screen fighter alive right now)
    2. jackie chan(****** he's jackie chan)
    3. tony jaa(best stunt fighter alive)
    4. sammo hung(old man could still get it craking)
    5. jet li (come on you got to admit fearless was hot)

bruce is not on my list cause he's dead i only put living people. plus compared to the guys up there(even thou he could probably take them in his prime) he just wasn't as good as a screen fighter. even thou for that time he was the best on screen. so i'll give him an honorable mention.

None of those guys compare to Hwang Jang Lee and Chang Shan. Or Phillip Ko, Kwan Young Moon, Whang In-sik...

Those guys looked tough.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

fearless sucked my balls doug. sorry. dragon tiger gate was nice so wasnt spl. i loved donny yen before that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Fearless was freaking amazing!

Well, back on topic -- the original question posed was who were the toughest martial arts stars -- so it's more specific than just saying who are your favorites. If we're talking *toughest* I don't see how you could deny Sonny Chiba -- to borrow a phrase from Maddox (who was talking about Gregory Peck, but still applies here) -- his default expression is a determined scowl, like he's prepared to introduce you to the business end of his shoe if you look at him wrong.

When I think Tony Jaa, I think skilled, graceful, acrobatic, electrifying -- but not so much tough. And even Bolo would have to trump Van Damme in this list ...
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

well when it comes to toughest

1. bruce lee
    2. benny the jet
    3. donnie yen
    4. sammo hung
    5. steven seagal(**** with him and see if you don't end up in intensive care)

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    Fearless was freaking amazing!

no i think it sucked balls
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

in no particular order, dead and alive, old or young, IMO

Sonny Chiba

Donnie Yen

Sammo Hung

Bruce Lee

Jackie Chan
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

While a lot of people may not have heard of Chang Shan, Hwang jang Lee should be a name people can recognize. He is one of the top 5 toughest looking, or just flat out toughest martial arts actors of all time. And that is fact.

I also have to put D!ck Wei in the top 5.
    Last edited by jethro; 04-24-2007 at 09:57 PM.

i have to say

jackie chen
    donnie yen
    jet li
    bruce lee
    chuck norriss

I also have to put Phillip Rhee up there. He makes a guy like Stephen Seagal look like a joke when comparing the 2 in arm locking and throwing skills.