Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: so we are not alone.

Here's a thought...

IMO humans, this planet and our universe is but one infinitesimally small part of a much larger experiment - proposed, implemented, studied, forgotten and relegated to the far back of an entity's refrigerator next to the leftovers and stale bread.

Additionally, there are many universes much smaller than us on a purely atomic level within our own limited understanding.

There are countless other universes/experiments pending that are unknown...
    Last edited by tug; 05-07-2007 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Addition
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

so long as we keep thinking we need engines and vehicles with them to get somewhere, is as long as we will be stuck here and not going anywhere.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

without getting into religions;

if the planet earth was so hot/burning and not cool enough to be inhabitable in the beginning;

then all life including us must come from the cold outer space.

some said the frozen dna "samples" might be carried to here with meteors?!

--

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    without getting into religions;

if the planet earth was so hot/burning and not cool enough to be inhabitable in the beginning;

then all life including us must come from the cold outer space.

some said the frozen dna "samples" might be carried to here with meteors?!

--

I have been a long time supporter of this type of probablity.

Think about it. What if your planet for some crazy reason decides to blow up. or gets blown up by something near it that decides to blow up. Wouldnt the water on earth instantly freeze when it goes into outer space? wouldnt then much of the life inside feeze with it. micro scopic. millions of things. tissue. bugs. fish. whales. humans. plants.

once set in motion its not going to stop until it hits something. like another planet.

Look at our moon.

When is the last time you saw a meteor shower that did that kind of devistation to the moon? Never? Those are some very old very huge craters on that moon.

at some point some massive crap hit our path. us, the moon. you name it. blam!

as stated before, if at all probable, the most likely, inevitable.

you never know

*fade out creepy music*
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Now we just need to get our teleportation tech up to snuff and we'll be alright. As far as intelligent life, I thought that was yet to be discovered here on Earth, let alone the rest of the universe.

so long as we keep thinking we need engines and vehicles with them to get somewhere, is as long as we will be stuck here and not going anywhere.
    Have to agree with you there. Sometimes the quickest results are not the most efficient.
    Last edited by mattb; 05-07-2007 at 08:11 PM.

I love how people come up with all kinds of ideas about what's "Likely" and "Probable" when they haven't the faintest idea of what would be necessary to for such a thing to happen.

There are actually LOTS of scientists who have put LOTS of thought into the likelyhood of both the existence of extraterestrial beings, as well as what the chances are that they'd visit.

As far as whether or not they exist, most believe that they COULD, and as far as whether or not they'd come to visit, most agree that they probably would NOT.

The main reason they figure aliens would not come to visit us, is that regardless of how they're travelling, the cost of it would not make it worthwile. The cost would be in the form of time, or energy, or money or whatever. Just think... how much would it cost US to go and see an alien planet? Even if we could travel at the speed of light (which we're not even close to), it would take 4 years (Plus the trillions of dollars to develop that technology) to get to the nearest star, which doesn't have any planets that can host life.

Ok, now consider this, there are millions of planets out there. We've just found ONE that might be hospitable to life. Chances are there are lots more that we haven't found, but assuming we find more, is it a good idea to send a space mission there to explore? Probably not. How would we know which planet to go and explore? It would be pretty stupid to guess, considering how much it would cost.

Woulnd't it be a better idea to try and investigate to see if there actually IS life out there? Mabye we should check to see if there are any radio signals that can be said are have an intelligent pattern coming from any of those planets?

Seems reasonable, right? Figure out which planets are sending out radio signals that are clearly not naturally occuring?

ok, but here's the thing... as a civilization, we've only been sending out discernible radio signals (stray radio and TV signals, or whatever else) for about 100 years. Even at the speed of light, those signals haven't reached this newly found planet, that MIGHT be able to host life.

So, why would any alien species think it's a good idea to visit us?

totally.

Plus you have to think about the distance and the chances that any extraterrestrial life close enough to us is:

A) Sentient

B) has a civilization advanced enought for not only discovering us, but also light speed space travel.

if i were to guess i would say those chances are pretty low.

except that one time i was abducted....
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

i hope we find some little organism that brings the dead back to life. i so want to fight and kill zombies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Well aliens can travel faster that the speed of light, Duh.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

my bother teaches physics

and yeah funny story
    he worked out some how that we could if we wanted create a warp engine that could transport us faster than light

however it would oblitirate everything for several quadrillion, quadrillion (insert as many 0's as possible here) miles around

another thing i heard was that it was possible to go faster than light by finding certain points in space that had their gravity nullified by other factors and as a result was completely gravity neutral u could sling shot yourself with an incredibly powerful engine around something with massive gravity along these gravity neutral lines and reach unfathomable speeds

lol
    interesting huh ?
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

yes. if may break the sound barrier, one day we will break the light barrier.

--

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    yes. if may break the sound barrier, one day we will break the light barrier.

--

word.

i also wish to fight zombies.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    i hope we find some little organism that brings the dead back to life. i so want to fight and kill zombies.
    i too would like to beat the tar out of zombies.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting