Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why I don't practice CLF anymore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yutyeesam View Post
    As long as you practice moderation, listen to your body, practice stillness along with motion, practice soft with hard, you can grow old with just about any style. There are a good number of folks still doing CLF (and other styles) well into their old age.

That's definitely what I'm doing, listening to my body...and it said "no more CLF, Taiji only"....and then something I couldn't quite decipher

Blog Entries

Ot

OT: Fu-pow, did you ever learn GM FZQ 30 Silk Reeling Exercises?

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Blog Entries
    OT: Fu-pow, did you ever learn GM FZQ 30 Silk Reeling Exercises?

I learned alot of them. My school has a class that is just Chan Si Gong. Its is very good and really loosens up the joints. Why do you ask?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    I learned alot of them. My school has a class that is just Chan Si Gong. Its is very good and really loosens up the joints. Why do you ask?
    They made a pretty huge difference on my understanding of form, and how to move my intent/body. My form & tui shou got a lot better after learning&practicing these (along w/everything else). Did it do that for you also?

Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Blog Entries
    They made a pretty huge difference on my understanding of form, and how to move my intent/body. My form & tui shou got a lot better after learning&practicing these (along w/everything else). Did it do that for you also?

No they didn't have that effect for me but I don't practice them as much as I should

Mostly I work on the form, Tui Shou and the line drills. Did you learn the line drills...Peng, Lu, Ji, An, Zhou, Lie, Cai, Kao done consecutively in a row (sometimes called single push hands)? That stuff is much simpler than the Tao Lu and much easier to see the direct applications of the energies.

We're really lucky this next week we have Chen Xiang ( Feng Laoshi's senior disciple) and Feng Laoshi's daughter coming to the school for a seminar. Chen Xiang is insanely good, apparently he can get the best of my teacher in tui shou and I think my teacher is insanely good.

So much to learn. Hun Yuan is an extensive system just like CLF.

FP

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    No they didn't have that effect for me but I don't practice them as much as I should

Mostly I work on the form, Tui Shou and the line drills. Did you learn the line drills...Peng, Lu, Ji, An, Zhou, Lie, Cai, Kao done consecutively in a row (sometimes called single push hands)? That stuff is much simpler than the Tao Lu and much easier to see the direct applications of the energies.

We're really lucky this next week we have Chen Xiang ( Feng Laoshi's senior disciple) and Feng Laoshi's daughter coming to the school for a seminar. Chen Xiang is insanely good, apparently he can get the best of my teacher in tui shou and I think my teacher is insanely good.

So much to learn. Hun Yuan is an extensive system just like CLF.

FP
    I learned that awhile ago, and haven't practiced it for awhile. Do you do Wuji Zhuang daily? If you do, how long do you typically go for?
    That's awesome you're getting some seniors in for seminars! Hopefully they'll allow people to video it (and potentially post on youtube! )

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Blog Entries
    I learned that awhile ago, and haven't practiced it for awhile. Do you do Wuji Zhuang daily? If you do, how long do you typically go for?
    That's awesome you're getting some seniors in for seminars! Hopefully they'll allow people to video it (and potentially post on youtube! )
    I usually do Wuji Zhuang for a few minutes before I practice the form. When my body starts to tell me that it wants to move I start doing the form. I used to practice holding it for 30 minutes but just ended up with sore calves in the process and didn't see any benefit.

Sorry my teacher really doesn't like video cameras so no dice.

FP
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 04-30-2007 at 01:18 AM.

I feel that internal and external styles both have value; I have a hard time saying one is better than the other. You took the path that martial artists take, based on the cycle of life they are on. My brother studied Southern Dragon and Mok Gar and is now studying Wu style Tai Chi. We all become less physical and more mental as we get older. You should still teach and practice all your knowledge.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buk&Hung Sing View Post
    I feel that internal and external styles both have value; I have a hard time saying one is better than the other. You took the path that martial artists take, based on the cycle of life they are on. My brother studied Southern Dragon and Mok Gar and is now studying Wu style Tai Chi. We all become less physical and more mental as we get older. You should still teach and practice all your knowledge.
    Well I think that my CLF will continue to "inform" what I do. I still have all my forms on tape so I could pick them up again if need be.

Its just that for a long time CLF was my "framework" that I built my martial arts skill around, I've decided that the Chen Taiji framework works better for me (and in general, although that's obviously debatable.)

And you are right, as you age brute force and strength will no longer save you. It becomes about wit and overcoming your opponent with skill. This is true of whatever style you practice.

I hope to get into Chen Style Tai Chi myself, Yang is a little too soft for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Havick01 View Post
    Like i said hes all talk.
    lol. arent you the one issuing an internet challenge to a guy who cant even see your posts?

talking to yourself?

why dont you go call him up in real life....
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    lol. arent you the one issuing an internet challenge to a guy who cant even see your posts?

talking to yourself?

why dont you go call him up in real life....
    Ive called and emailed no response.
    Havick

hmm...

maybe he doesnt want to fight with you?

i wouldnt say that makes him all talk, it just means he doesnt want to fight you.

unless he's called you out and now is backing down it doesnt really mean much
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    hmm...

maybe he doesnt want to fight with you?

i wouldnt say that makes him all talk, it just means he doesnt want to fight you.

unless he's called you out and now is backing down it doesnt really mean much
    He just alot of talk, i know him well because he is my class mate
    Havick

Yep I'm in aggrement with Havick01. We're both classmates with Fu-Pow . . . actually both of them are my SiHings, Fu-Pow my EX-sihing . . .

I'm currently training under Havick so yeah. I'm not ****ed at Fu-Pow, just disappointed at his lack of maturity and sheer idiocy.