Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why I don't practice CLF anymore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by msg View Post
    fu.pow wundering if you know of any teachers over my way .i would like to do some training in that .i think i would go well with my hsing.i
    Not that I know of. There are lots of DVDs and other learning materials out there though if you are really interested. If you already have a solid base in Xing Yi you might be able to learn it solo?

FP

Fu pow

I challenge you to fight me 3 rounds full contact and lets see how much you really know about fighting!
    Havick

I believe you are one of his "ignore list" victims so I don't think he will see your challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    I believe you are one of his "ignore list" victims so I don't think he will see your challenge.
    you guys see it, thats what matters
    Havick

Don't you guys live near each other? Weren't the two of you teaching at a university together or something like that? If you guys actually get it on, give us the results.

Don't you guys live near each other? Weren't the two of you teaching at a university together or something like that? If you guys actually get it on, give us the results.
    I have about 15 people i train on my own, fu pow and i no longer have ties. Is ego to big for his own good especialy when he cant fight at all. He likes to talk alot.
    Havick

Do you still continue to train with Sifu Mak?

Do you still continue to train with Sifu Mak?
    I train with sifu mak one on one
    Havick

Fu Pow,

You're right. We'll have to agree to disagree. I've been doing CLF a bit longer than you and I've had my share of injuries. I can attribute those injuries to incorrect/unnatural movement derived from my understanding of how things should be done. Once my understanding was corrected, my problems for the most part went away and I was able to execute the techniques with more power.

As to horses, with the knees pushed out or in, there will be pressure on the joint. The question is how long you take in building up the time you sit in the horse and whether or not your structure is correct. Some people rush the process.

Regardless, good luck in your new pursuits, but be careful of falling into the same situation.

Blog Entries
    Todd, I appreciate your perspective. Like I said, I don't think that it was something that I was doing "wrong" but rather something inherent in some of the methodologies/strategies of CLF.

Let me reiterate though, I'm not disputing CLFs effectiveness as a martial art. What I'm disputing is CLF as a long term methodology/strategy, I think ultimately you will pay a heavy price and there will be a cap on the progress that one can make.

Some might say "well you didn't give it enough of chance" or "you just didn't get it" or "it was your teacher" or simply "you suck"....but the truth is I pursued this for 10 years under a really good teacher.....I was a certified instructor under this teacher and teaching alot of classes for him.... and so my analysis is not hasty...it's based on many years of training and study.

Anyways, its just my two cents...people are welcome to disagree if their experiences are different than mine.

FP
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 04-29-2007 at 11:23 AM.

Blog Entries
    That's a pretty cool story (and great insights as well), thanks for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Havick01 View Post
    Fu pow

I challenge you to fight me 3 rounds full contact and lets see how much you really know about fighting!
    C'mon Eric, don't back out.

He can't even see the post so it really means nothing. Needs to be arranged locally I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Infrazael View Post
    C'mon Eric, don't back out.
    Like i said hes all talk.
    Havick

Blog Entries
    As long as you practice moderation, listen to your body, practice stillness along with motion, practice soft with hard, you can grow old with just about any style. There are a good number of folks still doing CLF (and other styles) well into their old age.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy