Thread: Should you sign a contract for instruction?

Hybrid View

Should you sign a contract for instruction?

Here is the original article.

Opinions?

If i am serious about training at a school then yes I would sign a contract.

You can't have your cake and eat it to...... and the article has several false statements as well

"Curb Your Enthusiasm
    The Contract is an irrevocable commitment to a full year of Karate instruction. Should you decide to quit training for any reason—injury, lack of interest, work and family obligations, et cetera—you will nevertheless be obligated to continue paying tuition until The Contract has expired."

FALSE - state law in several states (NY included) states that a medical excuse provided by a license medical professional is legal grounds to end a contract. In addition, relocation either of yourself or the school beyond certain radius is also grounds for ending the contract

As for stopping to go just because of your "lack of interest"? LOL, so you got a deal (contracts are always for REDUCED RATES) but you don't want to honor your end just because you are lazy?

A contract is TWO SIDED.....

"If you fail to honor this commitment, your delinquent account will be sent to a collection agency."

Yes, you're an adult, and if you agree to enter into a contract you should meet it... what are you? 12?

"The Contract allows your dojo to relocate itself ten miles away from its original location, replace its best instructors with bad ones, or shift class dates and times such that you cannot attend. Even if all these should come to pass, you will be required to submit your monthly payments until the term of The Contract is completed."

And if my aunt had a di ck she'd be my uncle? If you go to the wrong doctor, you might die on the operating table, so you should never seek medical help?

Most schools that use contracts are professional, they have large staff and they have lots of classes. I offer day and night, over 30 classes a week, when people say "I can't find time" it usually means "I am too lazy to come", that's REALITY

"Some people, such as Shotokan expert Rob Redmond, advise against signing any Karate contracts whatsoever."

Who is Rob Redmond? Does he run a school? Maybe he is that guy who can barely pay his rent and lives in his parent's basement but he's "proud not to be a sell out"

"Yes, these contracts serve to indemnify the school against its own mismanagement, at the student’s expense."

Or, look at it this way, the protect a school against inconsiderate students who committ to a period of time, and then aren't adult enough to keep their word

"There aren’t many colleges or universities that accept tuition payments on a month-to-month basis."

BINGO!

Go to NYU and tell them you want to pay per class you attend and if you don't complete the semester you want a refund......

We keep turing adults into irresponsible infants in this society, time to man up and be an adult
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Most schools that use contracts are professional, they have large staff and they have lots of classes. I offer day and night, over 30 classes a week, when people say "I can't find time" it usually means "I am too lazy to come", that's REALITY
    Too true. I have had a very hard time making it to my classes lately. I talked to my Sifu about it, and he has switched me over to either 1 half hour private class or the beginners classes that I can make. (Can't go back to intermediate untill I get the go-ahead due to loss of conditioning issues) He prefers I make the beginner's classes, but if it doesn't happen, I calla nd tell him, then go in for a private.

If you really want it, you'll find a way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post

Go to NYU and tell them you want to pay per class you attend and if you don't complete the semester you want a refund......
    I think there is a problem with perceived value. People realize the value of college education...ie more earning potential. But the value of martial arts training is more ephemeral...its not as highly valued. Plus you have the charlatans out there that lower the perceived value even more. So you're always going to have people that are trying to chince there MA teachers. Not saying its right...

FP

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Warrior View Post
    If i am serious about training at a school then yes I would sign a contract.
    ditto.

But then a lot of people who are already involved in martial arts for some time will know if the school is going to be of benefit to them.

providing its a pretty standard contract there is nothing wrong. its just a matter of course in todays world.

of course not all schools have them, the current school i am in is just 50 bucks a month, come as you please, and a waiver for injury/death.

of course its not high volume.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

The article is far to short and does not cover much ground. lkfmdc has pretty much said all I was going to say.

I can only add that no-one can force you to sign a contract and if they do it invalidates it.

If you want to train at a school that requires one then just read the bloody thing and sign it if you understand and agree to the terms.

Alot of schools are requiring contracts now as more martial arts classes become real businesses. Having a contract from the schools point of view means that money collection can be done by direct debit on a regular date with no unreasnable arguments and allow them to plan and operate their business more effectively.

It also should make people realize that they are making a commitment for a specified period of time and that if they want your experties, they must pay for them.

That said you should make sure you are happy with a class before signing a contract and I would be suspicious of any school that does not offer a trial period.

in a word
    no

if a school wants to keep your business then the teachers should be up to scratch and you should be suitably impress the teachers should lead by example and if u dont want to come anymore it should be your loss not the schools
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    in a word
    no

if a school wants to keep your business then the teachers should be up to scratch and you should be suitably impress the teachers should lead by example and if u dont want to come anymore it should be your loss not the schools
    OR.... maybe a sifu doesn't want to be bothered with a person who can't make any committment whatsoever to him?

Why should I spend several hours explaining a technique to you if tomorrow you decide you'd rather go on a picnic and never do kung fu again?

YOu just don't want to come anymore? Well, we paid our rent, we paid our staff, we showed up to teach the classes, we did all that so you could train, but you can't be bothered to get off your lazy butt so screw us?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Most mcdojos I've seen, especially the giant moneymaking ones, are very fond of contracts. That doesn’t mean that all schools that use contracts are mcdojos though.

should you sign a contract for instruction?

Quote Originally Posted by MartialDev View Post
    Here is the original article.

Opinions?
    I would check out the teacher first and see how he teaches his class first . Because there are teachers that just charge monthly for martial arts instruction . So that you can just quit the training whenever you feel like . So checking out the teachers' background and experience is important to me , then that way I know what kind of teacher I ' m dealing with . Because , the master or sensei should be able to teach you how to really defend yourself , instead of just telling you that you ' re not doing it right , the sensei is suppose to show you how to block a straight punch comming to your face , without getting hit . Instead of getting hit .