Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Should you sign a contract for instruction?

The health club view of martial arts schools was very popular in the 90's but that is quickly fading.

As an educational institute is what the industry is pushing more towards. So with that it would be quite similar to lets say a college degree.

having 3 semesters a year and charging for that time period. when is the last time you have been able to receive a refund half way through your courses?

While this simplifies the act of collection Tuition, it requires the schools and their instructors to have solid educatinal skills plus having courses layed out in advance.

Instead of having a one year agreement, students select what level they want to achieve.

ex:

1 year (3 semesters) gives you a certificate for completion of the Ji Beng/Gei Bong.

2 year (6 semesters) gives you a ex: "Associates Degree"

3 year (9 semesters) gives you a ex: "Bachelors Degree"

etc.

very specific topics and amount of time/credits would have to be detailed.

A nice cross between Western Collegea nd the Trade School. Credits compared to hours of training (ie: police, fire department courses, etc.)

Physical Fitness, Traditional Foundations and Forms, Self Defense 1-3, Baton usage & defense, Knife Usage & defense, gymnastics/tumbling with Grappling, Kickboxing.

The Kuoshu Organization of the past had similar requirements in order to graduate.

Still Contracts are the only way to get the the bills paid (schoola nd personal)

Health clubs and daycares don't allow month to month anymore either. You commit and if you choose not to go for any reason, that's your problem.

Since kung fu schools are a mix of both health club and daycare at times, I see no problem with contracts.

my teacher goes on a month to month basis.

As far as I can tell, he couldnt care less if you show up or not. If you come, good. If you dont, who cares.

Month to month is just right for me. Show up, pop some cash to Sifu and train.

No contracts, No hidden fees, No testing Fees, No belts, No ranks. No bullsh!t.

me like
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Does he pay rent? or is instruction done in a park or his basement?

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    The health club view of martial arts schools was very popular in the 90's but that is quickly fading.

As an educational institute is what the industry is pushing more towards. So with that it would be quite similar to lets say a college degree.

having 3 semesters a year and charging for that time period. when is the last time you have been able to receive a refund half way through your courses?

While this simplifies the act of collection Tuition, it requires the schools and their instructors to have solid educatinal skills plus having courses layed out in advance.

Instead of having a one year agreement, students select what level they want to achieve.

ex:

1 year (3 semesters) gives you a certificate for completion of the Ji Beng/Gei Bong.

2 year (6 semesters) gives you a ex: "Associates Degree"

3 year (9 semesters) gives you a ex: "Bachelors Degree"

etc.

very specific topics and amount of time/credits would have to be detailed.

A nice cross between Western Collegea nd the Trade School. Credits compared to hours of training (ie: police, fire department courses, etc.)

Physical Fitness, Traditional Foundations and Forms, Self Defense 1-3, Baton usage & defense, Knife Usage & defense, gymnastics/tumbling with Grappling, Kickboxing.

The Kuoshu Organization of the past had similar requirements in order to graduate.

Still Contracts are the only way to get the the bills paid (schoola nd personal)
    Would love to charges as much as a local university
    Typical 7K per semester, yee haw !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    Does he pay rent? or is instruction done in a park or his basement?
    he teaches in a nice big building down in chinatown. Not sure if he pays rent or not, though he has a good student base because he is a wealth of knowledge, enjoys to teach, and cares for his students well being.

the month to month basis works great for me. plus i think he has students who frequently travel as well, so this accomidation is wonderful as it allows one to come into town and recieve instruction for a few months, then leave, and return later to further the training.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

No Contract

I feel
    there is NO Contract needed
    if you have something to offer
    people will come and happily pay

EX: Owner could
    have the Participant
    first Sign waiver of liability then

least expensive taste test
    $10hr- Open Gym
    can utilize equipment only-
    no instruction
    anyone at select hours only

Instructional Classes
    first collect
    Registration Fee: ($45) yearly
    need a calendar showing billing cycle

"One Free Class"
    "Free School T-Shirt"

monthly billing Ex
    4hrs= $60
    8hrs= $100
    12hrs= $125
    16hrs= $140
    more hours = cheaper per hour

prorate first month
    no make ups, no refunds
    no checks
    cash or credit/debit only

private lessons$50 hr

I think month by month is the best

its easy for someone to start or depart

if someone didn't want to be there ..why make them?

1. go open a commercial gym, with a 5 year lease

2. implement your above plan

3. After 6 months, let us know if you have been evicted and/or are still in business
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

my buddy did a year contract at a kickboxing club in north vancouver...you pay all the fees, but eventually the boss is like oh you want to learn elbows of muay thai, **** you pay me...you want advanced sparring **** you pay me...if you want to learn to spar you pay the contracts...if you want to learn to fight you gotta pay all these backdoor seceret fees...he was miffed as a streetfighter knowing he could dummy most in the gym...eventually he was sparring with one of the guys in class and messed up an axe kick throwing out his knee for a good three months...a week after he hurt hiumself and told the boss he'd have to quit cuz surgery is in a few months, the gym owner tried to cash all the checks...like 6 months worth...that is just lame...i don't care if you don't like the guy how you gonna claim 6 monthsd pay for something you haven't even done yet...

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    1. go open a commercial gym, with a 5 year lease

2. implement your above plan

3. After 6 months, let us know if you have been evicted and/or are still in business

after 9 years
    I think it works great

Quote Originally Posted by the Preacher View Post
    after 9 years
    I think it works great
    I wonder if you wouldn't mind indulging me with answers to a few questions?

1. How are you keeping track of their 'hours' as to adjust their monthly billing?

2. Why don't you take checks?

3. With no contract, what method of cancellation do you use?

4. How do people pay thier tuition?

5. Do you have discounts for paid in full memberships?

6. What equipment do you have that people are willing to pay $10 an hour to use? (I ask because I train at a gym that costs $12 Mil to build and it's only $49 per month. They have a basketball court, sauna, jacuzzi, pool, 300 pieces or cardio equip..etc.)

7. How many members do you have?

8. What is your rent and square footage?

9. How many employees? (Part time/Full time)

10. How many classes per week?

11. Do you teach kids? And what do you teach by the way??

Very curious as your explanations of what you already do are so very much against the grain of any successful school/gym model.

Peace

after 9 years
    I think it works great
    what is the name of your school and where is it located? web page?

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    I wonder if you wouldn't mind indulging me with answers to a few questions?
    SURE,

1. How are you keeping track of their 'hours' as to adjust their monthly billing?

each student prepays for their desired hours each month,
    then just check off when they come

NSF

cancellation for what

most people I suppose have to work?

No discount No membership only month by month

6. What equipment do you have that people are willing to pay $10 an hour to use? (I ask because I train at a gym that costs $12 Mil to build and it's only $49 per month. They have a basketball court, sauna, jacuzzi, pool, 300 pieces or cardio equip..etc.)
    sport specific

usually around 250, each month is different

too much 8586sqft just under $10,000

7 part time

6-7 each day

yes only kids, an Olympic Sport.

Peace

where is this? what is the name of this place? web site?

SURE,

each student prepays for their desired hours each month,
    then just check off when they come

NSF

cancellation for what

most people I suppose have to work?

No discount No membership only month by month

sport specific

usually around 250, each month is different

too much 8586sqft just under $10,000

7 part time

6-7 each day

yes only kids, an Olympic Sport.

Peace

Thanks for your answers, I really appreciate it. Just a few more if you wouldn't mind..

1. How many new members do you enroll each month (on average) or annually?

Let me rephrase some of the others.

2. How do people pay their tuition? What method, i.e., in house, billing company, your own billing software, etc. Do they pay by cash or credit card each month, as you do not take checks.

3. What is "sport specific" equipment. I don't understand your answer.

4. Regarding cancellation, what term does a person enroll for? Month to month? This goes back to question 2 of this post. I'm asking how people pay each month - physically. Do they just bring it over to the front desk? If you have billing software or a billing company, and you do month to month, you have to have time to cancel thier next payment if you use an outside company or you have to cancel it within your own billing software.

5. Do you make at least $60,000 per month? I'll explain this question later and as to why I use that number. Feel free to share your monthly or annual gross income stats (if you are okay with it)

6. What is your average monthly merchandise sales?

Thanks again!