Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Should you sign a contract for instruction?

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    Thanks for your answers, I really appreciate it. Just a few more if you wouldn't mind..

1. How many new members do you enroll each month (on average) or annually?
    ? its a revolving door, I don't really keep track

Let me rephrase some of the others.

2. How do people pay their tuition? What method, i.e., in house, billing company, your own billing software, etc. Do they pay by cash or credit card each month, as you do not take checks.

cash or credit, in house

3. What is "sport specific" equipment. I don't understand your answer.

Sport Specific=certain sports require special equipment, this equipment could be considered sport specific

4. Regarding cancellation, what term does a person enroll for? Month to month? This goes back to question 2 of this post. I'm asking how people pay each month - physically. Do they just bring it over to the front desk? If you have billing software or a billing company, and you do month to month, you have to have time to cancel thier next payment if you use an outside company or you have to cancel it within your own billing software.
    each individual must prepay at the front desk each month

5. Do you make at least $60,000 per month? I'll explain this question later and as to why I use that number. Feel free to share your monthly or annual gross income stats (if you are okay with it)
    just put an "x" , "y" or "z" in your formula

6. What is your average monthly merchandise sales?
    Minimal merchandise

Thanks again!

is there a reason you're avoiding telling us what this place is called, where it is and whether it has a web page?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by the Preacher View Post
    1. How many new members do you enroll each month (on average) or annually?
    ? its a revolving door, I don't really keep track

Let me rephrase some of the others.

2. How do people pay their tuition? What method, i.e., in house, billing company, your own billing software, etc. Do they pay by cash or credit card each month, as you do not take checks.

cash or credit, in house

3. What is "sport specific" equipment. I don't understand your answer.

Sport Specific=certain sports require special equipment, this equipment could be considered sport specific

4. Regarding cancellation, what term does a person enroll for? Month to month? This goes back to question 2 of this post. I'm asking how people pay each month - physically. Do they just bring it over to the front desk? If you have billing software or a billing company, and you do month to month, you have to have time to cancel thier next payment if you use an outside company or you have to cancel it within your own billing software.
    each individual must prepay at the front desk each month

5. Do you make at least $60,000 per month? I'll explain this question later and as to why I use that number. Feel free to share your monthly or annual gross income stats (if you are okay with it)

6. What is your average monthly merchandise sales?
    Minimal merchandise

Thanks again!

Again, thanks for your answers. I still am a little confused by what you are saying.

1. What equipment do you actually have? 'Sport Specific' is quite a general term, can you be 'more' specific please?

2. How do you know the number of people that are paying you each month if you are not keeping track of new enrollments? Are you suggesting that the only way you look at is that; you have no members, but 250 new people sign up every month?

3. Do you make at least $60,000 per month in gross sales?
    (X, Y and Z arent' really necessary to answer this.)

4. Collecting payments from 250 members each month is a daunting and ardurous task, is there a reason you chose NOT to do it automatically or electronicly?

5. You said that each member must 'pre-pay' at the desk. What day of the month do they do this?

Please continue to humor me.

Name of your gym and website would be helpful as well.

I know it was already asked for, but you haven't put it up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    Again, thanks for your answers. I still am a little confused by what you are saying.
    Its OK, I understand.

1. What equipment do you actually have? 'Sport Specific' is quite a general term, can you be 'more' specific please?
    ......you don't understand the concept?

2. How do you know the number of people that are paying you each month if you are not keeping track of new enrollments? Are you suggesting that the only way you look at is that; you have no members, but 250 new people sign up every month?
    kind of like that, Yes, month by month

and if I did, or if I didn't?

4. Collecting payments from 250 members each month is a daunting and ardurous task, is there a reason you chose NOT to do it automatically or electronicly?

It's not hard, its easy!

5. You said that each member must 'pre-pay' at the desk. What day of the month do they do this?
    they pay on their first class of each month

sounds pretty condescending ....don't you think?
    but OK
    does your face hurt? it's killing me!
    hahahahahahaha
    hows that?

helpful? why?

Preacher:

Lama Pai Sifu is asking legitimate questions because you brought up how you do business and it sparked curiosity.

LKFMDC-----dont mind him. He's just a troll and an idiot. Eventually he will suck you into talking about HIM. Guy has huge ego and is completely delusional.

Plenty of schools do not use contracts, plenty do. The trend is towards no contracts especially as MMA keeps growing. I do think, in places like NY, it must be much harder to do business without contracts due to high rent and competition. Smaller towns it's probably more viable.

I'd love to buy a few schools that turn out fighters. I wonder where I can find them. I'll contact a business broker I guess.

Okay...I pick 'X'.

Now how much do you make?

but OK
    hahahahahahaha
    hows that?

And THERE you have it...

[QUOTE=the Preacher;833798]Its OK, I understand.

......you don't understand the concept?

kind of like that, Yes, month by month

and if I did, or if I didn't?

It's not hard, its easy!

they pay on their first class of each month

but OK
    hahahahahahaha
    hows that?

helpful? why?[/QUOTE]

Now you are being a bit jerky. You made some very unusual claims at to how you run your business, I've been very polite in my inquiries.

Frankly, some of the things you are saying just don't seem to add up. With a $10,000 per month rent and at the prices you are quoting, your rent would be equivalent to at least half of your gross income. That just doesn't make any sense. Even if your rent is 40% of your gross income, it just wouldn't fly, you coudn't stay in business.

The fact that you are being incredibly evasive about simple questions like "What kind of equipment do you have in your gym" leads me to believe that your are not being honest or you have completely fabricated your end of this discussion.

hmmmmmm..... three times he "ignores" a simple rquest for the name of the business, where it is located and if it has a web site

his "answers" to Mike are so general and vague

my guess, NO SUCH BUSINESS EXISTS

the most obvious clue, where could he find an almost 9000 sq ft place for less than $10,000 a month?

"preacher" is full of it.....

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Gotta agree. I dont think anyone with 10,000 square feet in any business can run things so haphazardly. Some real small schools with very low rent may do so. Are we talking a YMCA or something like that? Renting space from a gym?

No Contracts!!!

They are STOOPID and serve no real purpose other than to get you hoodwinked into a financial agreement that could siphon you out of your hard earned dollar.

If anything you should sign a WAIVER agreeing that you wont SUE your instructor or fellow students should you get your block knocked off. Of course there should be some stipulations that states that the instructors are trained in first aid and how to deal with someone who is knocked out or injured etc etc. i feel that ALL teachers and STUDENTS should go through a first aid course and CPR training.

Also if there is to be any financial agreement between student and instructor it should be very BASIC, as in I (place name here) Agree to pay tuition fees for the months that i train, and that my tuition is on a month to month basis.

If you run a good school with quality instruction and your instructor is not a egotistical douche wad then i think the turn over rate would not be as bad,therefore you make your $$ and you impart your teaching and wisdom on the student in a good way.

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post
    They are STOOPID and serve no real purpose other than to get you hoodwinked into a financial agreement that could siphon you out of your hard earned dollar.

If anything you should sign a WAIVER agreeing that you wont SUE your instructor or fellow students should you get your block knocked off. Of course there should be some stipulations that states that the instructors are trained in first aid and how to deal with someone who is knocked out or injured etc etc. i feel that ALL teachers and STUDENTS should go through a first aid course and CPR training.

Also if there is to be any financial agreement between student and instructor it should be very BASIC, as in I (place name here) Agree to pay tuition fees for the months that i train, and that my tuition is on a month to month basis.

If you run a good school with quality instruction and your instructor is not a egotistical douche wad then i think the turn over rate would not be as bad,therefore you make your $$ and you impart your teaching and wisdom on the student in a good way.

Peace,TWS

I agree, I have a month to month rate as well as a daily rate. Some have conflicts due to work, family as well as other things.

hmmmmn.

well, I don't think it's a big deal if sears doesn't wanna tell wal-mart how they do business. I don't think it should be a big deal if someone here who sells kungfu or tkd lessons doesn't wanna tell someone else who sells martial arts how they do business.

There's a lot of different business models out there. Many companies that generate quite a lot of money also do it by the seat of their pants.

not saying that this is teh good way to do it or the bad, just saying that people make money the way they make money and that's a million different ways.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Sears will tell you the name of their store, where they are located and send you to their web site.....

"I own one of the worlds largest car manufactoring company, but I won't tell which one, where it is located or if we have a web site"

Again, he claims to have a 9000 sq ft facility which he pays less than $10,000 in rent. There is no major market where you can find this rent. So where is he located? Pretty simple question, doesn't give away any "trade secrets" does it?

Simple answer, IT DOES NOT EXIST

Contracts VS. No Contracts

It's a never ending debate: students want to enroll with no commitment, Instructors want a committment.

If I could get a lease with no committment, a car, a house, etc., I wouldn't mind students paying month to month. But try to lease a space by the month (unless it's crap wharehouse space) or lease a car month to month or obtain financing for a house month to month...it won't happen.

No one would committ if they didn't have to. Fact is, instructors who run full time commercial schools need committments from students as they have in turn made committments to landlords, banks, etc.