not much but wow houston shaolin made it to american news paper
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX

Pretty decent article. Don't know if the resent International Festival here helped get this article printed. "China" was the theme of the festival this year. Too bad I was tied up and did not make it out. Oh well.

I pasted the article into this thread

Webpapers tend to delete their articles after a spell, or at least make the access limited to members only, so for posterity's sake, it's now part of this thread.

April 27, 2007, 11:58AM
    Kung fu masters translate a Chinese tradition in the U.S.
    By TARA DOOLEY
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

SHOW OF FORCE
    What: The Shaolin Kung Fu Spectacular
    Who: 21 Shaolin monks from China
    Where: The WAMU Center Stage at the Houston International Festival
    When: 2, 3:30, 5, 6:15 and 7:30 p.m. Saturday; 2, 3:30, 5 and 6:15 p.m. Sunday
    Cost: $13; children 4-11, $3.
    Info: www.ifest.org
    SOME HOUSTON SHAOLIN TEACHERS:
    • Charles Graham of Shaolin Houston, www.shaolinhouston.com
    • Shi Xing Ying of International Shaolin Wushu Center, www.internationalshaolin.com
    • Shi Xing Hao of Shaolin Kung Fu Academy, www.houstonshaolin.com

Translating a Chinese tradition for American students requires that a Shaolin kung fu master learn the art of positive encouragement.

"The American teacher mostly says, 'You are very good already, but if you do it this way you will be better,' " said Shi Xing Hao of the Shaolin Kung Fu Academy in Houston.

Chinese-style feedback — or the kind that came with training sessions that left Hao so exhausted that even his fingers were sore — tended more toward 'You are bad. Get better now.' "

Then again, Hao's American students don't practice eight hours a day. And the Chinese Civic Center near Beltway 8 on Houston's west side is not exactly the old Shaolin Temple in China's Henan Province, where Hao studied martial arts starting at age 13.

But in the civic center backroom, behind the pingpong tables and sequestered from the sounds of beginning violin players, Hao tries to instill the basics of the historical martial-arts tradition.

"We teach them how to really know to be a kung fu person," Hao said.

The kung fu person has been vivid in the imaginations of many an American, at least since the days David Carradine wandered the television West as Shaolin monk Kwai Chang Caine. Distilled from the television show and reels of Chinese films, the Shaolin monk is a noble warrior guided by values and attacking only in defense.

The tradition will be on display at the Houston International Festival when 21 monks from the Shaolin Temple in China perform today, Saturday and Sunday in the Shaolin Kung Fu Spectacular.

"People say, 'What is kung fu?' " Hao said. "It is very difficult to explain. It's a lifestyle."

The words "kung fu" have a double meaning, said Shi Xing Ying, master of the International Shaolin Wushu Center in Houston and former Chinese national Shaolin champion.

The word can mean hard work, performed with determination and diligence. It also means martial arts, he said.

The classical Shaolin tradition goes back at least 1,500 years to the founding of the Shaolin Temple in the Song Mountains. To some, the temple is the birthplace of Ch'an Buddhism, the Chinese tradition of Zen Buddhism.

But most know it for the form of martial arts the monks developed over the centuries. It is now considered the classical or traditional form of kung fu. Many Shaolin practitioners consider it the form from which modern Chinese martial arts such as wushu and tai chi developed. Others see traces of Shaolin in martial-arts traditions such as karate, tae kwon do or muay tai.

Shaolin kung fu is characterized by its choreographed sequences, which are "almost like dance moves," said Charles Graham, master of Shaolin Houston. Many of the moves mimic those of animals such as tigers, monkeys, praying mantises or white cranes, he said. The tradition also uses 18 weapons ranging from a staff to swords.

Interest in Shaolin kung fu surged in China after martial-arts film successes of the 1970s, especially Jet Li's The Shaolin Temple. Now the temple is surrounded by kung fu schools and is a tourist attraction both for its Buddhist and kung fu histories.

Kung fu and film seem entwined for many a couch-potato scholar of the Shaolin tradition, and practitioners often mention films and television as inspiration.

For 37-year-old Mark Brimm, the TV series Kung Fu was his introduction "for better or for worse," he said.

The Jackie Chan film Drunken Fist or Drunken Master inspired 17-year-old Simon Wu.

Melanie Kwok, 14, pointed to Stephen Chow's Kung Fu Hustle and, recently, Jet Li's Fearless.

"Jet Li did this one move, and I said, 'I can do that,' " she said. Of course, Kwok said he also did other moves that she hopes to add to her repertoire.

Li also influenced Hao's decision to board a train for a two-day ride from his home in Liaoning Province to study at the Shaolin Temple.

Since arriving in the United States in 1998, Hao has had to adapt, though his style has not exactly evolved to touchy-feely:

"Kick faster; use your breath; breathe; go; now you turn around; turn; you turn too slow, that's why; turn; turn; good," he almost barks out as a teenage student kicks, flips and twists through a roughly two-minute routine.

With 6-year-old Vega Shah, his softer side comes out as he guides her backbend practice:

"Wow, so good, tuck in; perfect; good job; sit down, please."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I wish Xing Hao had a better schedule. I'd love to take go to him, but his weekday schedule pretty much sucks. I mean it makes sense that he doesn't have class on Monday, but why Thursday also??

Then, why the hell is his Shaolin class on Tuesday at 5:00? It's all ages, which includes adults, and most adults I know work until 5:00. Why not 5:30 or 6:00 and push back Tai Chi 30 mins or an hour? Wednesday I could make the 8:00-9:30 class, but that sucks it's that late. My wife would hate me if I wasn't getting home till 10:00 when she's about to go to bed. Same goes for Friday. The weekend is the only chance I could go consistantly.

He's a great teacher from everything I've seen and heard, but there's no way his current schedule would be worth it. He needs a suggestion box. Oh well... bummer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nards View Post
    I wish Xing Hao had a better schedule. I'd love to take go to him, but his weekday schedule pretty much sucks. I mean it makes sense that he doesn't have class on Monday, but why Thursday also??
    Xing Hao's school is located in the Chinese Civic Center which the civic center itself is closed on Mondays. There were Thursday classes going but only 2-3 students including myself were showing up. For some reason Thursdays was a slow day, so Xing Hao canceled Thursday classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nards
    Then, why the hell is his Shaolin class on Tuesday at 5:00? It's all ages, which includes adults, and most adults I know work until 5:00. Why not 5:30 or 6:00 and push back Tai Chi 30 mins or an hour? Wednesday I could make the 8:00-9:30 class, but that sucks it's that late. My wife would hate me if I wasn't getting home till 10:00 when she's about to go to bed. Same goes for Friday. The weekend is the only chance I could go consistantly.

He's a great teacher from everything I've seen and heard, but there's no way his current schedule would be worth it. He needs a suggestion box. Oh well... bummer though.
    Well the school is geared for the majority. 5:00pm was the standard class time at the original school so it stuck. The majority of the students are school aged mixed with a few adults. So 5pm was ideal because its after school. The basic class is from 5pm-6:30pm. You can come late if you have to...even if you came in at 5:30pm you would still get an hour workout in. The Wednesday classes were geared mainly for the adult students so thats why its late. Training two days a week (Sat/Sun) is better than training 0 days a week. Oh and yeah there is a suggestion box at the school, why not come by the school sign up and leave some feedback?

You can also try the International Wushu Center, Shi Xing Ying's school. We have classes that start at 6:00p Tuesday thru Sunday and a huge weekend schedule. However, most of the earlier classes are children but we have adult class from 3:00p to 4:00p Saturday thru Sunday.

Correction: That's International Shaolin Wushu Center
    So sorry!!!