Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Damo Jinn

Damo Jinn

I'm currently working on this sword form and I have a few questions I need to ask.

1. How many variations are out there? I understand there is a Shaolin version but I would often compare these notes and demonstrations with others and at best, I would recognize only a couple of movements.

2. What's the history behind this sword form, especially in terms of beginner level? I'm not saying any of the roads are particularly difficult for me, but I feel I can better appreciate the form if I became familiar with the history.

I have some techincal questions to ask as well, but I'll post those after I get home from work. Any info on these questions would be greatly appreciated.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

In my branch of Damo Jinn, we combine the katana (or broadword...take your pick) with the nunchaku.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    In my branch of Damo Jinn, we combine the katana (or broadword...take your pick) with the nunchaku.
    okay
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

There isn't a branch of Damo Jinn. Now you have proven your Shaolin Ninjitsu is a fraud.

Damo Jinn translates to english as Damo (the Indian priest who sat in the cave at Shaolin Temple, but you already knew that) Straight Sword (jinn (jian) - mandarin or gim (cantonese).

Now go back to "trailer down by the river" and practice your techniques designed to "kill, cripple and maim".

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    Damo Jinn translates to english as Damo (the Indian priest who sat in the cave at Shaolin Temple, but you already knew that) Straight Sword (jinn (jian) - mandarin or gim (cantonese).
    Are there any variations that you've noticed with Damo jinn taught in CLF as opposed to the Shaolin version?
    - Aristotle

- Arthur C. Clarke

Actually we don't have Tamo Gim in our lineage. I know they have it in the Chan Family lineage but sorry I can't answer your question. I have seen the name mentioned in other styles as well and I think it would be safe to assume each set is different just as many forms have moi fah (plum flower/blossum) in their name and are different sets. I think they just share the same name and give respect to Tamo.

there's a shaolin damo jian. there are many jian forms and some with damo in it. what style are you currently practicing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

From what I know there is a Shaolin Damo Sword which is different than the Damo Sword as taught in the Jing Mo schools. The Shaolin Damo sword has two parts and is taught as two separate sets while the Jing Mo's Damo Sword is taught as one sword set. Shaolin Damo and Jing Mo's Damo do not even appear similar.

As mention by CLFNole, Damo is a name that is attached to a given set within a given style to honor Damo as the Indian Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    there's a shaolin damo jian. there are many jian forms and some with damo in it. what style are you currently practicing?
    To tell you the truth, I don't know. There used to be a thread on this forum discussing Damo Jinn, and somebody posted a set of illustrations with the moves in sequential order and names translated into english. Now I have about 5-6 years of training in kung fu, and I'm able to connect the moves in a practical sense according to basic martial theory, but since I'm working from paper, as it were, I don't have the benefit of a teacher to guide me and correct my missteps. There used to be a Shaolin kwoon in Chicago off of Wilson street, but has since closed.

Do you know about the thread I'm talking about?
    - Aristotle

- Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Lamassu View Post
    To tell you the truth, I don't know. There used to be a thread on this forum discussing Damo Jinn, and somebody posted a set of illustrations with the moves in sequential order and names translated into english. Now I have about 5-6 years of training in kung fu, and I'm able to connect the moves in a practical sense according to basic martial theory, but since I'm working from paper, as it were, I don't have the benefit of a teacher to guide me and correct my missteps. There used to be a Shaolin kwoon in Chicago off of Wilson street, but has since closed.

Do you know about the thread I'm talking about?
    You are going to find that there are many forms with the same name that have no relation to each other other than similar techniques and names in CMA .There are many factors as to why this is so. Do not be discouraged. SD is real shaolin all the forms are authentic. Do not let these guys tell you what is what.....they have no clue.

I don't think we were trying to tell him anything, just trying to answer his question. Didn't even realize this was a shaolin do topic but you right I don't live in the Ozark's and have a mullet, so of course I don't have a clue

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    I don't think we were trying to tell him anything, just trying to answer his question. Didn't even realize this was a shaolin do topic but you right I don't live in the Ozark's and have a mullet, so of course I don't have a clue
    Hmmm .......why are you taking offense?? If I was refering to you then you might be offended, if not you would not. Which are you?? And yes he is with SD. .......Be careful as to who you try to make fun or offend. Some of the most intelligent, well educated, and smartest people come from that area.( Hillbilly Country)

Okay, I don't want this thread to deteriorate into a pi$$ing contest over Shaolin Do. Yes, I've studied Shaolin Do for over 5 years, and earned my sho-dan rank. Yes, I still practice the forms I've learned over the years, and take great pride in the progress I've made as a martial artist. I'm very grateful for my sifus who've taken the time to instruct me and answer my questions, but this thread has nothing to do with Shaolin Do other than the fact that there isn't a kwoon here in Chicagoland and must therefore look elsewhere to continue my martial training.

Right now, I want to focus on the jinn (jian) and expand my knowledge in that weapon. The only jinn form I learned while studying Shaolin Do in Texas was Tai Chi Jinn 32, and that's not even a Shaolin form. I noticed an earlier thread on this forum concerning the Damo (Tamo) jinn form, and that it was a beginner level form. Beiquan posted his translation of the Damo Jinn form with illustrations from Zhao's book (which can only be found in Chinese). I printed this form out and have been teaching myself this form as best I can without a teacher. So here are some more questions:

1. Is this particular Damo Jinn form in Zhao's book 'Jing Mo', 'Shaolin' or other?

2. Is there a dvd/vcd/any type of media that instructs THIS version of Damo Jinn, the one instructed in Zhao's book?

3. Is there anyone on this forum who is familiar enough with this particular form and willing to answer technical questions I have (since I don't have the benefit of a teacher telling me what I'm doing wrong and how).

Finally, I love training with fellow Shaolin Do students; I have nothing but respect for it's teachers and especially Grandmaster Sin The, but I don't feel the need to restrict myself to only one style of martial art. "I am like a sponge, my mind is so empty", I want to learn and right now I want to learn more jinn forms.
    - Aristotle

- Arthur C. Clarke

Lamassu,

Good luck on your Jian training... A very difficult weapon to learn without a teacher...

I have learned the Tat Mo straightsword at Shaolin Temple in China, it was very long and didn't have much flashy or acrobatic moves in it. Since then I have forgot more than half of it since the video I took of it has been lost or deleted... But there is a video: http://www.martialartsmart.net/pr-gs007.html

This form is a shorter version of what I remember and I think may help you...

I practice Choy Lay Fut, a southern style not famous for its straight sword, but I have learned Pek Kwar Geem, from Pek Kwar a northern style... And there was so much more technique involved and made me feel like I knew nothing about the sword while learning it... Here is a vid of me performing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dk2i5b3M1E

But I think that shaolin video will help... Btw, there is a Choy Lay Fut school in Chicago, a very good sifu, a great guy... Sifu Sam Ng in Chinatown: http://www.ngfamilymartialarts.com/

So hope some of this helps or interests you...

Best of Luck...

Joe

Sow Choy

That's too bad about losing the Damo Jinn video, that would have really come in handy. I'm not really interested in starting another martial art just yet (mostly due to empty pockets), but I've always been curious about CLF and will definetly check it out when finances deem it time to do so.

That Pek Kwar sword form you demonstrated, looked really slick. Like I stated earlier, I'm interested in picking up more jian forms. Could you point me in the right direction to where I can pick up instruction? Preferably a video or instructor who's willing to teach me would be best.
    - Aristotle

- Arthur C. Clarke