Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Damo Jinn

lamassu:

You could Wing Lam I think he sells some gim sets, one northern shaolin and one southern form. His website is wle.com. Gene might also be able to recommend some gim videos available. You might be better off getting really good at the one you know first then work on picking up a new set or two.

Good luck.

I've seen videos for a form called san cai jian that I think is really cool. Don't know much about it, but I'm pretty sure it's a somewhat popular form and should be easy to track down a good video.

Question,
    Is the shaolin set, and the Chin Woo set comprised of the same core techniques, just different choreography? Or are the core technique sets different too?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Since I know the Jing Mo set and when I saw the Shaolin version in books, I could tell that they are completely different, down to the core.

NS:

Buk siu lum also has some gim sets right? Just not called tamo gim.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernShaolin View Post
    Since I know the Jing Mo set and when I saw the Shaolin version in books, I could tell that they are completely different, down to the core.
    Have you looked over Beiquan's illustrations with the translations in the original Tamo thread? Is Zhao's book on Damo jian based on Shaolin or Jing Mo?
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

CLFN,

Yes, BSL has Dragon Shape Sword and Plum Blossom Double Dragon swords

There are many families of sword but the three main branches are Shaolin, Wu Tang and Omei. Dragon Shape and Tamo Sword sets are said to belong to Shaolin branch.

Wing's curriculum also adopted sword set from Wu Tang (Mo Dong), called Tai Yu Sword. His curriculum does not include Tamo Sword.

In addition, WJM's curriculum adopted sword sets from Wu Tang (Mo Dong), called Dragon Phoenix Sword, San Hop Sword, and Tai Yu Sword.

L,

Beiquan's illustrations are from Chao Lin Ho's book from Jing Mo.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernShaolin View Post
    Beiquan's illustrations are from Chao Lin Ho's book from Jing Mo.
    Thank you. I'm about to get off of work in about 1/2 hour, would it be alright if I ask you some technical questions about the form when I get home?
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Northern Shaolin:

Is the dragon shape sword call Chuen Lung Gim? Excuse the poor spelling as I don't know Yale or Pinyin writing.

Northern Shaolin

Okay, I have a couple of technical questions I hope you can answer for me.

1. At the beginning of Road 1 starting with 'Horse treads on fallen blossoms' trasitioning to 'Two Dragons play with pearl', are you supposed to swing the jian to your right or are the images from two different angles?

2. At the end of Road 6 leading into the beginning of Road 7, to transition from 'Turning the horse sword' to 'Golden wheel delivers from disaster' do you skip forward from one posture to the other, or do you rock your weight back into 'Golden wheel'?

3. In the middle of Road 7, is 'willow weaves in the wind' a 360 degree spin or 180?

4. Finally, at the end of Road 8, what could possibly be the practical application of 'looking back to this shore'? It's the only posture in the entire form where you don't have your eyes on your jian; they're in the opposite direction to be precise.

Any light you can shed on these questions would be greatly appreciated and thank you for your help.
    - Aristotle

- Arthur C. Clarke

L,

I really do not know how I can help. But you can ask.

CLFN,

In Cantonese it is Loog Yim Ghim and in Wade it is Lung Hsing Ching.

I guess a better translation would be "Dragon Movement Sword"

lamassu

In all honest I don't suggest you continue learning this form from pictures. And no there are no videos of this sword set.

You can pick up very nice instruction sword videos which will be of much better use in self teaching.

yang Jwi Ming's web site offers 3 sword forms which contain the material found in the Damo set.

Or just do a search for the damo sword form of shaolin.

check out this search link from youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...jian+gim+sword

ngokfei

I appreciate your advice, but I've been studying this form for a couple of months now, and I'm growing more and more comfortable with the sequence of movements. Of course, learning from a dvd would be better, and learning from a sifu ideal, but until I find one I'll continue with my personal study. "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

Jing Mo Damo Jian won't be the only sword form I'll learn, I plan on picking up several various instructional dvd's including San Cai Jian (thank you for the suggestion Ninth Drunk), but first I want to be familiar with this one before I start learning a new one.

Unless somebody out there knows the answers to my previous questions concerning Jing Mo Damo Jian, I'm going to assume the following when practicing this form:

1. The beginning of Road One, the first three images are shown at a different angle to illustrate the motion of the 'spirit sword' hand.

2. In Road Seven, the 'weaving willow' posture is an 180 degree turn, it seems more practical than a 360.

3. When transitioning to the 'Golden Wheel' posture in Road Seven, I will rock my weight to the back leg into a reverse bow stance.

4. At the end of Road Eight, 'Points to the shore' is a feint to put multiple opponents off guard.

I'm sure there will be errors in my interpretation of this form, but I find this intriguing in trying to learn a form strictly from paper. I feel these past couple of months have excercised my knowledge of martial theory, and if nothing else I may have made my own version of the form. A Lamassu Damo Jian if you will.
    Last edited by Lamassu; 05-07-2007 at 08:01 AM.
    - Aristotle

- Arthur C. Clarke

L,

Answer to Q1:

Swing the sword to the right, and turn your body to the right and slide the left leg back to right bow. Sword cuts downwards to a horizonal position.

A2 to Q2:

From Turning Horse to Golden Wheel, you turn to the left 180 degrees and step up with your right leg into a right bow stance. Then turn back to the right 180 degrees, turning on your right foot while stepping back with your left leg. Drop down into the low stance as shown while swing the sword from the left side of your body, over your head and chop downards with a vertical cut.

A3 to Q3:

After right kick, plant right foot down, turn on the right foot 180 degrees to the left, step back with the left foot and go into a left cat stance and turn the sword to block as pictured.

A4 to Q4:

Practical application is a strike to your opponent's soft spot, i.e., eyes, throat, etc. The left hand with two fingers represents the sword finger symbolizes a sword and is referred to as the sword finger. Some historians thought at one time it is a symbol of what was once was another sword in the left hand because in time before Shaolin, some warriors fought battles on horseback and used two very long swords to fight other fighters on horse back.
    Last edited by NorthernShaolin; 05-07-2007 at 11:20 PM.

Northern Shaolin

Thank you for your help. I appreciate you answering my questions and now the form has more fluidity when I practice it. Which kwoon taught you this form, if you don't mind me asking, and do they have one here in Chicagoland?
    - Aristotle

- Arthur C. Clarke